1. A3 coolant leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've have an A3 2.0TDI Sport from new, it's 3years old just out of warranty and it's started to leak coolant. Topped it up a few times in the last 6 weeks and though nothing of it (wasn't losing loads). Took it to the dealer to get a faulty back wiper sorted and mentioned the coolant leak. They fixed the wiper and said they carried out a few test on the engine and it needs a new cylinder head £3000.00 please and we need it for 3 days....!!! I thought £3K was alot for a repair.....so took it to my local garage where they block tested it, pressure tested the system and said they couldn't find anything wrong, BUT it does leak a little bit of coolant....anybody any ideas...???

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, Spoke to an audi tech today about this. They have had quite a few A3s coming in with this coolant fault. most say that the leval seams to go up and down and they top it up a small amount with no visual leaks. The only info i could get is that if it smokes {white} when first started in the morning it will nead a head gasket or head. Seams a bit harsh to me so will try and find out more.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Took it to another garage....they said does not smoke blue (oil) or white (water) out the back and doesn't mis-fire, no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil...all signs of a cracked head.

They questioned how the Reading dealer could say it was the head without taking it off.

They said what they are probably going to do is replace the head, head gasket, water pump and cam-belt.....just to cover everything.....after all it's me that's paying for it....!!!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the exact same problem on my 2004 Golf 2.0 TDI.

Has this fault been located? VW have looked at my car 3 times and been unable to find a fault - it has been pressure tested and had a new coolant cap fitted - no leaks. But still the fluid is lost. I fear its going into the head gasket and will be expensive to repair. The car is now out of warranty.

Anyone had the same problem and fixed it? What was the cause and solution?

Any other info or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, newbie here looking for some clues as to a prob on my A3, and came across this forum.

I guess I'm seeing a similar issue. About 3 weeks ago, I had a problem with the electrics on the boot of the car, at the same time as a coolant level warning. I put that down to coincidence

The worst part of the electrics fault was the boot closed sensor malfunctioning, causing the alarm to activate randomly and frequently. The rear wiper also wouldn't work while the "boot open" sensor was playing up.

Audi did a lot of diagnostics and found no problems with the door sensor other than stripping it down, cleaning it, and re-fitting - problem solved (apparently)

Then yesterday, coolant level warning started to show again, and the boot door lock fault re-appeared. I can't help feel this is too coincidental.

Could I have a coolant leak that is close to any microswitches / cabling I wonder? Does this seem a silly idea?

The car is due to go back in to Audi so I'll let you know what comes of that, if anything.

Dave

0 0 0

6. A3 Coolent leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a Audi A3 2.0 sport, just out of warranty and its developed a coolant leak about a week ago and I've had to top it up a few times. I have had a good look all around and can’t see where it is coming from at all. I see a few people have had the same problem.
    Don't know what to do next. I don't think the garage will find anything either there's no signs at all. It's just typical that the warranty has just run out...!!!

HELP..!!

0 0 0

7. Question  
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,

I've just joined and having looked at the site this A3 Coolant leak jumped out at me. I just had my A3 3.2 Quattro serviced for the first time. Its about the same age has your A3. The Dealer also found a slight loss of Coolant fluid in mine as well. Luckily it was covered under the warranty as it was a hairline fracture in the plastic casting of the radiator. They said that there was a bad batch of these rads supplied to Audi and a few had caused leakage. Mine only really lost fluid during the last summer when the hot weather caused extra pressure on the system. It was a slight trace of the anti-freeze residue that showed up on the rad that wanted them to change it. I'd have a bit of a hunt round there if its of any use.
    Hope thats of some use.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Took it into Tyneside audi and within a few hour they had discovered I needed a new EGR unit...something to do with exhaust gas cooling....and they (audi) apparently have re-engineered them (meaning they didn't work in the first place but were reluctant to do a recall). THIS MADE THE LEAK WORSE. Audi tech services recommended this work as the dealership couldn't find anything wrong. Thank goodness for the tech services department....if it wasn't for them I could have kept my £200 and spent it on something worthy. Trying third different dealer next week (Camberley). Wish me luck...!!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    On my dads A4 1.9TDI 130 Q, he had a coolant leak and could not find a leak to start with... any way it was a hose on the back of the engine which leaked and the coolant dripped onto the lower tray.. and then onto the under trays and made its way to the back of the car...

so when driving it blasted out but when stopped you could not tell as it was leaking as it held on the trays... gave all the trays a good hit and the collant driped from everywhere..

RicKT

0 0 0

10. Re: A3 coolant leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 04 2.0 tdi sport with 70k on the clock. I have what seems to be a very common coolant problem and have been told I need a new head. total price 2k.

Has anybody tried to get audi to pay out of warranty? I have been offered 500 quid but am going to try for the lot.
    wondered if anybody wanted to team up as the more people with the problem the better chance of a result

1 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast