Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All

I've just imported a royal blue 1990 MK2 Jetta 2 door (or Jetta coupe) from Holland, basically it's a 1.6 Carb, a little tatty but generally solid which is the most important as i'm only really interested in the rolling chassis as i'm doing a 20VT conversion on it using a AJQ A3 quattro lump.

I originally was going to just leave it as left hand drive but have now decided to convert it to right hand drive as I figured it can't be that hard??

Has anyone done this or knows of anyone that has as i'm unsure if i've got to start knocking holes out of the floorpan and bulkhead or if it's just a case of knocking the blanks out and using salvage rack, column, dash etc out of a corrado or mk2 golf / jetta?

Before I started pulling the thing apart I just need reassurance cos if it's going to be too much hassle I won't bother and leave it LHD.

I already have the A3 donor car and the thought had crossed my mind to try and wedge that dash in, also a friend of mine is breaking a G60 corrado and i've already claimed the brakes, dash, column, rack, pas etc.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. PS I will post some pics shortly!

0 0 0

2. Re: Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    It is a lot of work but made far easier if you buy a donor right hand drive car to use for bits and as a pattern.

One thing though, there is very little room for the master cylinder against the cam belt cover on a right hand drive car using the 20v engine.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It is a lot of work but made far easier if you buy a donor right hand drive car to use for bits and as a pattern.

One thing though, there is very little room for the master cylinder against the cam belt cover on a right hand drive car using the 20v engine.

thanks for the advice, a little fettling will hopefully sort that! I get a feeling that nothing will go smoothly with this project, budget is already spiralling out of control!!

0 0 0

4. Re: Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't even know that these cars had ever been produced until I just read this. I've just seen a picture of one and the best of luck mate, it should be a really cool project car.

Personally, I think it'd be a lot easier to fit a G60 engine and cooler aswell (that's IMO).

0 0 0

5. Re: Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by euroslap View Post
    I didn't even know that these cars had ever been produced until I just read this. I've just seen a picture of one and the best of luck mate, it should be a really cool project car.

Personally, I think it'd be a lot easier to fit a G60 engine and cooler aswell (that's IMO).
    and

I know, was going to go down that route but my friend and neighbour is doing a g60 on a mk2 golf so had to do something a little different to him! Plus I love the rush of the 20vt and there's a lot of potential to unleash from it!

0 0 0

6. Re: Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A pic of Jetta just about to start it's journey home from Holland! The spoiler was the first thing to be removed!!
    Attached Images

0 0 0

7. Re: Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grayh View Post
    A pic of Jetta just about to start it's journey home from Holland! The spoiler was the first thing to be removed!!
    Thank God!!!

0 0 0

8. Re: Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by euroslap View Post
    Thank God!!!

Lol, not your taste then? It now has pride of place balanced on the back of my mate's country!

0 0 0

9. Re: Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grayh View Post
    Lol, not your taste then? It now has pride of place balanced on the back of my mate's country!
    It looks like a park bench!

0 0 0

10. Re: Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to anyone interested, i've sold lots of stuff off my donor A3 but still have loads left including rear diff, prop, glass, mirrors, dash, pedals, full interior, headlining, interior plastic trim pieces. I'm scrapping the shell next weekend and anything left will go with it so let me know if you need any bits, i will do you a very good price!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast