1. Can I have some advice on servicing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've recently bought a 2002 MK4 Golf GTTDI PD150 from an independent garage.

When I bought the car about a week ago, the mileage was at 38,500 and the sticker on the windscreen said that the next service was required at either 46,800 miles or on 10 October 2006. Obviously October 2006 is in the past but the mileage has not yet hit 40,000, let alone 46,500. However, each time I start the car the display says "service now"

I spoke to Warrington Volkswagen yesterday and they advised me that I should get the car serviced now, irrespective of the actual mileage and that the cost would be about £280 as it is the "big service".

The car is an ex Lex Vehicle Leasing gar and has been serviced on schedule by a VAG dealership but I'm not sure if it is on the long life schedule or not.

Is this just the dealership trying to get some money off me or should I get the service done? The car has obviously been driven very little since the last service in relation to the mileage it did in it's earlier life and I'm wondering whether it would be safe to do another 7,000 and have it serviced in line with the mileage rather than the calendar date?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated
    You own a Boxter - makes you wish you'd worked a bit harder and could afford a 911....
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My opinion is, get it serviced now. I don't think the dealer really cares too much when you service it. At the end of the day, they know you'll probably come to them tomorrow, or at 46k miles and pay them £280 either way so they're not too fussed. Therefore I don't really see a reason for them to 'lie' to you as such.

As for the car, if it says service it..service it..As stated above, you're either paying £280 now for a full service AND peace of mind

or

£280 in the next few months as well as worrying about the condition of the car and risking a much bigger repair bill if somethings goes wrong.

You only have yourself to blame if the car says service, you don't service it, and then something breaks.

Just my opinion...
    Golf Mark III TDI 1996
    ¬ Upsolute Stage I
    0 0 0

3. Thanks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I don't know. Maybe I'm just being cynical.

The service interval on the car is 10,000 miles and she has only done 3,000 since the last service, ie. only 30% of the mileage she should be able to do between services. Bearning in mind that the last service and all the others before it were done by main dealers and therefore should have been done properly. Why should I get the car serviced based only on the time elapsed since the last service and not based on actual mileage and wear and tear.

I'm not overly technical (I've not really raised a spanner in anger on a car since about 1987!) but what can wear out on the car over time if it's not actually being used. Do the oil and other fluids degrade over time more if the car isn't being used?

I had the car thoroughly inspected by an independent engineer before I bought it: The oil is clean, the brake and PAS fluid is spot on, the brake pads look brand new and are genuine, the belts, chains and tensioners are all perfect and it drives beautifully.

Why service it now.....????
    You own a Boxter - makes you wish you'd worked a bit harder and could afford a 911....
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I personally would get the car serviced, If you don't know or can't prove it. then do it anyway.

Just a thought, VW should have a record of services, who stamped the book on the last service, give them a ring?

Rob

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i agree with the point made, you can either service it now or potentially pay for the damage that could be caused down the line....

how an independant check managed to see the oil was 'clean' im not sure? also, there is a slight chance that when the last service was done, they didnt clear the service indicator, but this is highly unlikely.

TBH, a lot of independants do fib a little about servicing and although they claim to send the car out with a oil service 9 times out of 10, they dont even bother, my birds nest of an air filter and the crappy veggie oil they called engine lubricant is proof of that.

if it were me, id get a service done, you dont have to take it to the main dealer why not get an independant garage to do the service, half the price probably twice the skill TBH.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Absolutely! Get it serviced now! It's too big a risk to hope the last servicer failed to reset the service scheduler. This is a top quality German car you have there, you haven't a capri / cortina / sierra with a pinto engine; you have a highly technical, computer run mark IV.
    I would do as Rob says, and contact the last dealer, who stamped the service book (if they stamped it) and ask them what the hell is going on; and I would do as Eshrules says, and find a good Independent garage, who have working knowledge of VW servicing.
    All the best!
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's been regularly serviced by a VW Dealership. I would first double check this and ask what was done at the last service.

If it was serviced correctly, and on time and you've only driven it 3xxx miles since the last service then take it in for an oil change and ask them just to look at the "Big service" items and give you their opinion.

I presume by big service they mean timing/cam belt and so on. While a visual inspection is no guarantee, it won't hurt for them to look and maybe even let you look too, afterall it's your money and your car.

Either way, with an oil change service they'll get your money and custom and you'll show them you'll be using their services in the future - even if you don't.

Finally, if the service was done every 10k, and the light has come on after 3k, someone has messed with the interval within the computer as it is set for mileage, not time.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    38 k is a bit early for the timing belt no?

Thought that comes at the 60k service..
    Golf Mark III TDI 1996
    ¬ Upsolute Stage I
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
    38 k is a bit early for the timing belt no?

Thought that comes at the 60k service..
    60k is right, But VW says if older than 4 years it should also be changed!

Rob

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have been reading your dilemma, I am new to this forum so you will have to bear with me.

I work for a Vw dealership and would be happy to look into when and where your vehicle has been previously serviced within the Volkswagen dealer network. All I need for this is your reg no or chassis number.

Mark
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast