Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Taken from my post over at Navplus.us

Info for others coming along later...

All of this information comes from various threads on the navplus.us forum, however 'SDS' is too short a search term which makes it very hard to find the information so I thought a post with the full term in the title might make it easier for other noobs like me in future...

Enabling the Speech Dialogue System (SDS)

I have just got SDS working in my A4. I downloaded the update CD (from here) burnt it to a CD-R (ISO-9660) and finalised the disc. The update took some time and appeared to have hung but it eventually went on and when it finished I had the SDS menu options.

I then recoded the Bluetooth module (from 1xxxx to 1xx0x) and after that pressing the PTT gave me a beep, then after 10 seconds or so the woman would give a list of commands, so I knew it was all working I just needed to rewire the microphone.

I had a couple of spare repair wires (000-979-009) which I put in to the following positions:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave.G6HNI

MIC +ve ---> RNS-E MIC IN +ve ---> C7
    MIC -ve ---> RNS-E MIC IN -ve ---> C1

And then used Scotchbloks to tap in to the Microphone wires.

Anyway, after I had the mic wired in, everything worked fine and as it should. In fact the microphone quality seems to have improved slightly but maybe that is down to too many beers after the install?!

Many, many thanks to all the kind people who post to this forum as they have helped me to install options which would have cost close to £3000 from Audi for approx. £650.

Regards,

fM

NOTES:

I couldn't recode the BT immediately (because my laptop needed rebuilding) and after flashing the SDS firmware I got some strange behaviour which disapeared when the BT was coded properly.

Basically until the BT was coded the RNS-E started complaining that the navigation disc was incompatible. Resetting the unit (hold Radio + Setup for ~6 seconds) and removing the disc showed the map, but as soon as I tried to set a destination it would hang.

Other people who hadn't recoded the Bluetooth module stated that the DIS displayed Speak and then immediatley afterwards Phone. Perhaps they didn't try using navigation?

Anyway, the brown trouser moment lasted until I coded the BT unit, whereupon all of the problems disappeared. To check if everything is working prior to pulling the unit and rewiring the mic, pressing the PTT should give a beep, then after 10 seconds or so the woman will say "Pardon?" and then after another 10 seconds or so a list of possible commands.

My experience suggests that if you don't like SDS you will have to 'downgrade' to the non SDS firmware and then recode your BT back as the two cannot co-exist, even if the mic is disconnected from the RNS-E.

Whilst I had the glovebox out I also added the AC vent for the glovebox and wired in the washer bottle sensor for my DIS retrofit but thats another story!
    2007 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140PS | S-Line | BOSE | Volterra Leather

Retrofitted | RNS-E | SDS | Bluetooth | Cruise Control | Parking Sensors | Arm Rest | DIS

0 0 0

2. Re: SDS - Speech Dialogue System - (SW 0660) Experiences with an A4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just a couple of updates...

General Comments About SDS:

Some of the SDS functions are a little redundant, missing or just there for the sake of it, e.g. "Repeat last instruction" is more long winded than pressing the right thumbwheel. You can't control playback of MP3s from the card readers and I haven't been able to enter a postcode via SDS (am I doing something wrong?!)

Where SDS excels is in the navigation entry and controls. Spelling out towns and streets works very well and is generally >95% accurate. Zoom in / out, Scale and Start / Stop Route Guidance are quick ways of accessing commands that normally take a few button presses.

Voice tags I created also work for my wife despite us having very different voices in terms of tone, pitch and accent. She talks proper whilst I am a northerner...

All in all, a great mod if you have BT already as it is 1) Free, 2) Much easier and safer to enter destinations and 3) Worth it!

DVD Read Issues:

It would appear that the DVD read errors may just have been a coincidence as I have been experiencing the read errors again. I tried going back to the official 0650 software but still had read errors so I purchased an original Audi disc and the read issues disappeared. I am now back at sw0660 and have SDS back...

Retrofitted | RNS-E | SDS | Bluetooth | Cruise Control | Parking Sensors | Arm Rest | DIS

0 0 0

3. Re: SDS - Speech Dialogue System - (SW 0660) Experiences with an A4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting.

If my car already has speech recognition and BT for using the phone and it all works fine with the PTT button on the MFSW, does this mean I can get full SDS (for navigation etc) without having to do the microphone wiring that you did? ie. just flashing the SDS firmware?

Thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: SDS - Speech Dialogue System - (SW 0660) Experiences with an A4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqwim View Post
    Interesting.

If my car already has speech recognition and BT for using the phone and it all works fine with the PTT button on the MFSW, does this mean I can get full SDS (for navigation etc) without having to do the microphone wiring that you did? ie. just flashing the SDS firmware?

Thanks
    Same question

0 0 0

5. Re: SDS - Speech Dialogue System - (SW 0660) Experiences with an A4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No, you will need to wire the mic in to the RNS-E. It isn't a hard job, just two wires need to go to the RNS-E. Then you need to use VAG-COM to set the BT unit to accept control from the RNS-E. Then flash the firmware and the jobs a good 'un...

Although I retro fitted both the BT and the RNS-E to enable SDS you will have to do what I detailed above.

To be honest, I preferred the voice control on the BT unit for making calls, however the abilit to spell town and street names is the deal maker for me.

0 0 0

6. Re: SDS - Speech Dialogue System - (SW 0660) Experiences with an A4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakmunky View Post
    To be honest, I preferred the voice control on the BT unit for making calls, however the abilit to spell town and street names is the deal maker for me.
    So the speech recognition/speech control can be used for making calls *or* navigation, but not both?

Unfortunately I don't have VAG-COM (or know where the connector is to change the wires) otherwise I may have had a play with this.

Cheers

0 0 0

7. Re: SDS - Speech Dialogue System - (SW 0660) Experiences with an A4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    SDS is a function of the RNS-E. SDS controls all functions of the RNS-E, and when enabled, the Bluetooth unit. For example, SDS will enable you to change to a particular radio station by saying "Change station Radio One" for instance or you could enter a destination town by saying "Specify Town" and then spelling the name. You can place phone calls as well, either by voice tagging entries in the Directory or by saying the number you want to call.

What often confuses people, is that the Bluetooth unit also has voice commands, however when SDS is present, the voice commands on the Bluetooth unit are disabled as the Bluetooth unit is controlled by the RNS-E's SDS system. So with SDS enabled on the RNS-E you have to switch the BT unit voice recognition off as the RNS-E controls that unit electronically. You do this with VAG-COM and it is very easy. There are plenty of people on the forums with VAG-COM who could do this for you. As for the connections, they are behind the RNS-E...

The BT units voice commands are for use with the Symphony radios and non SDS RNS-E units. When you have an SDS RNS-E unit the BT voice commands function is redundant (and therefore disabled).

What I was saying was that for phone calls, I preferred the BT units voice commands. The SDS commands are slightly different and I don't think they are as intuitive as the BT unit.

I hope this clarifies things?!

0 0 0

8. Re: SDS - Speech Dialogue System - (SW 0660) Experiences with an A4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is there anyone in the London area that knows this and has VagCom that could do this for me? Of course there would be a nice tip

0 0 0

9. Re: SDS - Speech Dialogue System - (SW 0660) Experiences with an A4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry, I'm Up North where its always freezing and we eat coal...

0 0 0

10. Re: SDS - Speech Dialogue System - (SW 0660) Experiences with an A4 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a Northerner on secondment doen South. I miss the whippets...

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast