1. Biodiesel - a summary 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This text is a summary of hundreds of hours of internet research and personal experience by one VWAF member. Interpret it how you will. You are your own insurance, so only use Biofuels when you are sure you are ready. I accept no liability if you break your car!

Please leave comments/corrections/questions.
    It’s a long read, but it’s a big topic!

Introduction
    Biofuels are derived from recently living organisms, as opposed to Fossil fuels which are of course from fossilised organic matter. Fossil fuels contain Carbon that was removed from the atmosphere millions of years ago, and was destined to remain locked in the crude oil deep underground forever.
    By burning fossil fuels, this carbon is released back into the atmosphere, effectively increasing the concentration of CO2 in the air.
    Burning biofuels releases CO2 that was only recently fixed into plant matter from the air, perhaps in the last few months or years. As such it is effectively not adding more CO2 into the air. The CO2 that was recently fixed into plants (removed from the atmosphere) has simply been put back in equal amounts. This CO2 is then reabsorbed by plants, meaning that no CO2 has been added overall.
    A misconception is that using biofuels puts out no CO2. This is incorrect because burning any fuel releases CO2 by definition.

The Diesel engine was originally designed to use Peanut oil. Soon after it’s invention, it was discovered that it could also run on the much cheaper (at the time) Fossil Diesel. Since then, most diesel engines have evolved to make use of the Fossil Fuel.

Biofuels take many forms
    Some of the different types are explained below

BioFuel – This is the collective term for all the types. It has also been used for the fuel where Waste Vegetable Oil is cleaned, washed, dried and filtered before use. This fuel is chemically unaltered from Straight Vegetable Oil, and as such is too viscous (thick) to be used in modern diesel vehicles without modification. It is easy to make.

SVO – Straight Vegetable Oil. This is the oil you buy in the supermarket to cook food in. It can be used in older diesel engines. Newer engines require modification as the oil is too thick. SVO can be turned into Biodiesel or BioFuel using their normal processs. It is considered to make the most consistent fuel due to the fact that it has not been contaminated.

WVO – Waste Vegetable Oil. This is used cooking oil. It has picked up impurities due to the food that has been cooked in it. WVO is considered more eco-friendly as it has been recycled. SVO could have been used for cooking but wasn’t (wasteful). WVO can be turned into BioDiesel or BioFuel using their normal processes. When turning it into Biodiesel, additional processing is needed to remove the impurities.

BioDiesel – This is SVO or WVO which has been transesterified. This is a chemical alteration of the oil. Glycerin is removed from the oil molecules with the use of a Hydroxide and Methanol. This makes the oil thinner, but since the glycerin has been removed, it contains slightly less energy than BioFuel. The thin BioDiesel can be used in modern diesel engines without modification. It requires quite a lot of processing to make. The catalyst must be made, glycerin after the reaction must be removed by washing, then the Biodiesel must be finally dried before use. It is a brown/red colour.

BioEthanol – This is ethanol made from the fermentation of various plant crops. It can only be used in Petrol engines.

Using Biodiesel
    In order to use Biofuels, one first has to make a few considerations.
    The Biofuels are thicker than Fossil Diesel. This means that it is possible to put unnecessary strain on fuel pumps as they have to work harder to move the Biofuel. Older vehicles were less fussy about fuel as the quality was lower than that of today, hence they can use a wider variety of Biofuels more easily. However, the old vehicles used natural rubber for fuel lines and seals, which can be degraded by Biofuels. In the late 90’s, the UK switched to ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel), which requires synthetic rubber parts. This means that newer cars do not suffer from perishing rubber parts when using Biofuels.

BioDiesel from SVO or WVO is considered to be the best type to use in modern diesel engines. If made correctly, it meets or exceeds the standards required for Diesel.

BioDiesel contains almost no sulphur at all. Engine emissions on Biodiesel contain slightly more Nitrogen based gases (not a good thing), but up to 80% less other harmful gases (definitely a good thing) than the same engine using Fossil Diesel. Some MOT testing stations have thought they had faulty emission test equipment because some readings were lower than the minimum that could be detected.

BioDiesel provides better lubrication for engine parts, which is why it makes the engine run smoother and quieter. It also contains a higher Cetane level than fossil diesel, which means it is more ‘eager’ to detonate in the engine providing better response. In contrast, BioDiesel contains slightly less energy, so overall performance and MPG is seen to reduce.

Using 100% Biodiesel means that the engine is effectively carbon neutral. This is worth the slight drop in power and MPG if you are trying to be more environmentally friendly. A compromise is to use a blend of Biodiesel and fossil diesel. This should give a quieter, smoother engine, with lower emissions, more response, less wear, more MPG due to the better lubrication, and a sweeter exhaust smell. Depending on your engine, about 10% Biodiesel is considered to be the best balance if you want to ignore environmental issues.

When switching to BioDiesel, it may be worth gradually increasing the percentage mixed with Fossil Diesel. There may be no benefit to the engine to start at a low concentration, but at least you will gradually acclimatise to the change! Start by pouring in enough BioDiesel to make 10% in your tank. Then increase by 10% each tankful. You can simply put it in just before you go to the fuel station. 'Splash bending' is perfectly safe and normal practice.

Biodiesel is a very good solvent. It is well known that when first using it, all the crud that has built up in your cars tank and fuel system will be flushed into the fuel filter, clogging it. Depending on your cars mileage and the care taken with fossil fuels, you may need to change the fuel filter in a few hundred miles, or perhaps never. With a nice clean fuel system, your car will produce little or no smoke, and run better.

A major consideration is ambient temperature. All liquids, including Diesel, will freeze (or gel) at some point. Good Biodiesel begins to gel at or around 0C. In cold weather, a blend must be used to make sure it doesn’t go solid in the tank and fuel system (more diesel will prevent it from gelling). Leave a clear sealed container of some outside near you car so you can check it before you start your car at low temperatures. Mix it to the same concentration as in your tank, and you’ll know if it’s safe to use. It should look clear. If you do begin to see very fine particles, the warming of the fuel by the engine should make it OK. Any more than that and you risk a filter clog.

Fuel consistency is vital. In short, if it is not made correctly it may be too thick, contain water, other impurities, or free glycerin (which is basically soap). Do not use Biodiesel that has not been made and tested to meet standards. It should be crystal clear. Any cloudiness or sediment should immediately send alarm bells ringing.

Using an alternative fuel is a big decision. Read all you can about them before coming to a decision, or you could find yourself with a big repair bill! An uneducated BioDiesel user is certain to run into trouble. A well read BioFreak will know how to stay clear of it.
    Thanks for reading, and good luck...
    Passat Sport Estate 2001 1.9 TDI PD
    100k miles

1 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How do I make the biodiesel mix using the transesterified method?
    Can I just put 5ltrs of SVO into say 20 ltrs of pump diesel?
    Is my '94 non PD engine classed as an 'older' diesel engine?
    I have lots and lots of stupid questions on this subject, you may just be the man who can answer them.

'96 A4 1.8. For spares now
    '98 A4.........New headache

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc97 View Post
    How do I make the biodiesel mix using the transesterified method?
    Can I just put 5ltrs of SVO into say 20 ltrs of pump diesel?
    Is my '94 non PD engine classed as an 'older' diesel engine?
    I have lots and lots of stupid questions on this subject, you may just be the man who can answer them.
    OK, I'll answer your question in short now, but fully later once I've written something up. I'll paste it into the 1st post to update it.

Q1, It's a longish process that involves potentially dangerous chemicals. I'll do a writeup soon.
    Q2, You can put 5 litres SVO into 20 Litres Diesel. It will just about mix. However, it will still be thicker than blended BioDiesel, possibly causing problems. Worse still, since you have not paid Fuel Duty on the SVO, you are breaking the law if you drive on public roads!
    Q3, A non PD or common rail is an 'older' engine. I'll explain why in the update. But for now, the lower injection pressure of older engines makes it safer.

Watch this space...
    100k miles

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great intro Huweth.

There is a great little book on how to make biodiesel for anyone interested in home brew. Also has a lot of good background on the chemistry, background, grades/standards etc. Available:

http://www.goldenfuels.com/biodiesel...3985b560d2fa5e

i have read it, i'm not affiliated to any of the companies or authors.

One picky point, technically biodiesel is not carbon neutral unless it has been farmed and processed using carbon neutral energy (fuel and electricity), still a load better than fossil though.

I have just ordered 200l from Express Biofuels, will let you know how i get on...

Huweth, where do you get yours from?

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been looking at running my Vento TD (an older engine) on this for a while but can't find a supplier so I also will be interested in where you get yours from Huweth. SVO is an option I suppose but not in this weather!
    2016 VW Tiguan Match Edition (Nimbus Grey) , 09 Ibiza 1.4 SE SC (Nayara Blue), 2014 Leon 1.2 SE (Candy White).

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I get mine from a guy in near Crediton in Devon. Bit of a trek for you Fourbears! I don't think he ships it, though he might if you ask nicely. I remember seeing a producer in Norfolk sometime, if I remember the name, I'll let you know. Keep looking, they pop up from time to time.
    My producer is setting up a site at www.trybiodiesel.co.uk which is very basic at the moment! It is 89.9p a litre. Not as cheap as Express Biofuels, but I have no other option right now. Hopefully the price will come down as his production becomes more efficient.
    I tried making some BioD from new Rapeseed oil a couple of days ago in school (I'm a science teacher). I chose to use old reactants to not waste new ones. It only half worked, probably because the old stuff was way past it's use by date (I'm talking decades!). I'll try again properly soon.
    Hopefully I'll get round to an edit this weekend.

P.s. bluetwo, you're right about the 'carbon neutral' bit. I'll make sure I explain that in the edit.
    100k miles

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You have your 'Sticky' thread Huw.
    Keep us updated if you can about any findings you may have about using alternative fuels and also any useful links regarding making or suppliers of biodiesel.
    Cheers.

Marc.
    '96 A4 1.8. For spares now
    '98 A4.........New headache

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Brilliant write up Huweth

I can't quite work this bit out though..

"By burning fossil fuels, this carbon is released back into the atmosphere, effectively increasing the concentration of CO2 in the air.
    Burning biofuels releases CO2 that was only recently fixed into plant matter from the air, perhaps in the last few months or years. As such it is effectively not adding more CO2 into the air. The CO2 that was recently fixed into plants (removed from the atmosphere) has simply been put back in equal amounts. This CO2 is then reabsorbed by plants, meaning that no CO2 has been added overall.
    A misconception is that using biofuels puts out no CO2. This is incorrect because burning any fuel releases CO2 by definition."

If the C02 has been removed billions of years ago compared to maybe a year ago how does this differ. The C02 was in the atmosphere and removed in both cases, how does the time lapsed make any difference?

As I see it in both cases there is C02 that had been removed but then returned? The fossil fuel C02 is also re-absorbed by plants, admittedly not the same plants?

Sure it is all correct but not certain why.
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
    If the C02 has been removed billions of years ago compared to maybe a year ago how does this differ. The C02 was in the atmosphere and removed in both cases, how does the time lapsed make any difference?

The CO2 removed millions of years ago and turned into oil had been effectively locked into the ground forever. It should never be added back into the atmosphere. By burning it today, we are adding all that carbon back into the atmosphere once again. It will take millions of years for it to be locked away again, so the CO2 levels remain elevated for millions of years.
    The CO2 released by Biodiesel was removed from the air 'last year'. This year it is being burnt (added to the atmosphere). Next year it will be turned back into plants (removed from the atmosphere). And so on. It is the Carbon cycle. 'What goes in comes out'.
    By burning fossil fuels, more carbon is added to that cycle. The amount being removed from the cycle is less than the amount being put into the cycle. Hence, CO2 levels are increased by using fossil fuels.

I knew I'd explained it badly. I'll try and get a picture to explain the Carbon cycle really clearly. Didn't get chance to make the changes I'd wanted to this weekend. My stock of BD ran out. Had to fill up on 'Dino-Diesel' . Will get some more BD in a weeks time
    100k miles

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MalcQV, the crux of it is the equilibrium of the carbon dioxide being taken out and replaced from the atmosphere. CO2 in itself is not a pollutant, it is vital to life.

The assumption is that we want to maintain 'near normal' levels of CO2 (i.e. pre industrial revolution levels) as that will preserve the current surface temperature of the planet.

Adding the CO2 from the fossil fuels means we are increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere, which in turn will cause more heat to be trapped by the sun, causing the planet surface to warm. To an extent any increase in CO2 is absorbed by the plant life on the planet, which buffers the build up and makes predictions of effects difficult.

By using a bio fuel the CO2 released was only recently (within a year or so) taken out of the atmosphere, so there is no net gain in atmospheric CO2 levels.

Bio fuels are only really an interim step anyway, i don't think there is enough bio-productive land on the planet to grow all the power we currently use, and grow enough food to feed us all (anyone got any figures on this?).

Hydrogen is a fuel that can be burnt without creating CO2, as long as it is coming from a renewable source, and not from oil as most Hydrogen does at the moment.

Making Biodiesel at school eh Huweth? I hope you did it with students, that would be a good 'chemistry in the real world' experiment. I work part time at a University, one of my project students made a 'domestic biodesel reactor' last year. He used a novel circulating system to remove the need for one of the large vessels and reduce the reaction time.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast