Notices

User Tag List

Thread: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Friends,

My car broken down on Wednesday. I sent it to VW dealer for repair thinking about the reason of break down.

The dealer called today and told me the your fuel pump is faulty (was replaced under recall two months ago) and also fuel filter is contaminated (replaced around 4000 miles or 5 months ago).

He said VW will pay for fuel pump part in full and upto 50 % toward labour charges but i have to pay part and labour for fuel filter!!

Total cost to me will be £99!!!

The reason for failure he quoted is contaminated fuel filter!!

He also thought i am lucky to get free fuel pump and 50 % labour discount!!

Now, I have started worndering how can my fuel filter cause the failure? I was told by the dealer's receptionist that normally a fuel filter last for 3-4 years!! (when i asked about the fuel filter's age) when I told her i recently got fuel filter changed (not be the VW dealer but from a reknowned Indi ) then she said filter might have been contaminated by the fuel pump!!!

It is exactly oppiste the service guy told me (i.e fuel pump failed because of filter but the receptionst said ther other way round).

Now, I have two issues!!

1- The new fuel pump are not reliable?
    2- Was i being ripped off? Fuel pump was under recall so VW should bear all costs? I should be refunded?

Please advise. My car is 55 reg, 2.0 TDi 140 SE.

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    IIRC diesel fuel filter life is 60k provided only (ultra?) low sulphur fuel has been used, otherwise its 20k. I think since your car was reg'd only low sulphur diesel has been available in the UK. BUT if its been abroad there is the possibility it has been filled with higher sulphur diesel. Such diesel was freely available in France when I was there in Sept.2006. Alternatively someone might have put some biodiesel in it .

Before VW started routinely replacing these pumps I talked at length with the service guys at my dealer. From the discussion I drew the conclusion it would be sensible to replace the filter early and had it done at 2 years/23k. Their attitude was "if it was my car I'd have it done" which I guess is about as far as they can go without disclosing something they are barred from.

The pump was replaced routinely under warranty about 4k later withoutout showing any sign of approaching failure.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 0 0

3. Re: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no comments yet? Do i have a claim agaist vw?

0 0 0

4. Re: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster80 View Post
    Hi Friends,

My car broken down on Wednesday. I sent it to VW dealer for repair thinking about the reason of break down.

The dealer called today and told me the your fuel pump is faulty (was replaced under recall two months ago) and also fuel filter is contaminated (replaced around 4000 miles or 5 months ago).

He said VW will pay for fuel pump part in full and upto 50 % toward labour charges but i have to pay part and labour for fuel filter!!

Total cost to me will be £99!!!

The reason for failure he quoted is contaminated fuel filter!!

He also thought i am lucky to get free fuel pump and 50 % labour discount!!

Now, I have started worndering how can my fuel filter cause the failure? I was told by the dealer's receptionist that normally a fuel filter last for 3-4 years!! (when i asked about the fuel filter's age) when I told her i recently got fuel filter changed (not be the VW dealer but from a reknowned Indi ) then she said filter might have been contaminated by the fuel pump!!!

It is exactly oppiste the service guy told me (i.e fuel pump failed because of filter but the receptionst said ther other way round).

Now, I have two issues!!

1- The new fuel pump are not reliable?
    2- Was i being ripped off? Fuel pump was under recall so VW should bear all costs? I should be refunded?

Please advise. My car is 55 reg, 2.0 TDi 140 SE.

Cheers
    Hello mate

Sounds like they are telling porkies the fuel filters role is to stop particles getting into the fuel injectors not the pump! I typical fuel system will work as follows: Fuel tank, Fuel pump, Fuel filter then fuel injectors! so there is no way a contaminated filter can cause pump failure

Hope this helps!

0 0 0

5. Re: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Can't see that the dealer has a leg to stand on. Their only get-out might be any work that was done by an indy.

Lemonslap: There's confusion here: the receptionist is saying that "..... filter might have been contaminated by the fuel pump" - what do you think? Either way it's a load of old whatsits.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

6. Re: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonslap View Post
    Hello mate

Sounds like they are telling porkies the fuel filters role is to stop particles getting into the fuel injectors not the pump! I typical fuel system will work as follows: Fuel tank, Fuel pump, Fuel filter then fuel injectors! so there is no way a contaminated filter can cause pump failure

Hope this helps!
    Its my understanding excess fuel which has passed through the filter is returned to the tank by the tandem pump (the one on the end of the cylinder head) via the filter. Anyone know that is indisputably not the case?
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.

0 0 0

7. Re: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamichea View Post
    Its my understanding excess fuel which has passed through the filter is returned to the tank by the tandem pump (the one on the end of the cylinder head) via the filter. Anyone know that is indisputably not the case?
    I was tring to be simple mate but yes all systems have a return pipe back to the tank this simply is to allow the pump to run all the time while the engine is running and still keep the pressure correct at the injectors (via the fuel rail pressure valve).

0 0 0

8. Re: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It may have been caused by a fault with your lift pump in the tank if the filter is comtaminated with metal particles.

0 0 0

9. Re: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonslap View Post
    I was tring to be simple mate but yes all systems have a return pipe back to the tank this simply is to allow the pump to run all the time while the engine is running and still keep the pressure correct at the injectors (via the fuel rail pressure valve).
    Yes, yes, but can you contribute on the key point which is whether or not this is via the fuel filter on the B6?

0 0 0

10. Re: new fuel pump (recalled version) failed!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I don't think it's returned to the tank via the filter - theoretically there's no need. Under a recall, mine is returned to the tank through a cooler to avoid damage to the pump.

As above, the dealer's receptionist is saying (admitting?!) that the filter may have been contaminated by the pump, not the the other way round. This, imo, is therefore VW's pick-up. Must have been a lot of contamination though.....

The things's only supposed to be there to sort out the water in the fuel.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast