1. Question A6 TDI 2.5 multitronic gearbox problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    would be grateful for views on the following. I bought the 02 reg A6 at 60k miles in 2006 from audi main dealer with FSH. The car has now reached 80k and has had gearbox oil change (due every 40k), but that only temporarily cured a juddering which had started happening when accelerating from standstill/low speed. According to my local audi service dept (different dealer from the one i bought the car from) the problem seems to be a failed input shaft in the gearbox which will cost £1600 to replace. My local audi service dept took it upon themselves to investigate the srvice history and have found that the gearbox oil change which should have happened at 40k miles was not done, and that this is the cause of the fault which is happening now - they have advised me to pursue the audi dealer who sold me the car in 2006 with a "FSH" as it they had missed out the oil change and had not informed me of this when i bought the car - leading to current problem. To be sure of my ground i need to know whether balanceof probabilities say that the "missing" oil chage at 40k is the cause of the current problem. Any views would be most welcome

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 TDI 2.5 multitronic gearbox problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I can’t see you getting anywhere over a sale that happened two and a half years ago and over a service oversight that probably happened even earlier and they will probably argue, quite correctly, that it would have happened anyway-which it would have as these boxes are an unmitigated disaster. I would strongly advise you to NOT have the clutch pack (this is what they are referring to) replaced (they may even incorrectly tell you it is a seven disc upgrade when that is what is already fitted) and if this is done, there are still three extremely unreliable and very expensive areas that will also fail, sooner rather than later. My suggestion is to either sell the car or have a genuine VAG exchange box fitted (it can be fitted by any garage, it doesn’t have to be the dealer) and to also insist that the line filter is changed at the same time.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 TDI 2.5 multitronic gearbox problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher, excuse ignorance but can you expand what a genuine " exchange box" is? Is it a replacement multitronic gearbox? i need to know exactly what i am asking for to get quotes etc. (any idea what part and fitting would/should cost?) Selling car may not be viable as I would be taking a big hit because of the fault.

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 TDI 2.5 multitronic gearbox problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You will take an even bigger hit when you find out how much a replacement factory exchange box cost ! My advice, as Crasher said, sell the car and get some money back or fit a 6 speed manual gearbox, will still work expensive but, much more reliable than any auto gearbox ! I owned once an a6 with auto box, was happy till it broke, spent over 1000 quid to repair it and broke down 3 times. 3rd time they(Mr. Clutch !) fitted an exchange factory box, because they had enough of me ! Sold the car as i had enough of it and the chap who bought it wrote it off 3 months later. Pity as it was the best car i had....

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 TDI 2.5 multitronic gearbox problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks - am getting a horrible sinking feeling!

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 TDI 2.5 multitronic gearbox problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    A genuine exchange box is from the dealer and they are between £2.5K and £4K depending on which one it is plus fitting, fluids and filter, typically around £5K done.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0