1. 1991 1.3 idle issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's so many idle problems placed on here, but can someone help?
    she (my car lol) conks out at traffic lights, when accelerating through the gears and when i try to turn out of the junction in the morning, also when i start her in the morning, she rarely turns over properly, normally it's like a half turn and nothing more and after a few goes she starts even if i give her a chance to heat the pre-heat first which is working... in addition i can stall it by turning the lights and radio and all on when she's at idle...

the head had gone about 5 times before i got it and fixed it properly *fingers crossed* and the oil down the back of the engine was shockin! can oil get into the starter? i moved the earth from right beside the dizzy (one of it's mounting bolts) down onto the gearbox right beside the starter which has helped a bit... any suggestions?

so i reckon it's a new alternator to begin with, but how does one tune what i think is a 2e3? or anything to quit the lumpy idle and the stalling... an is my starter in question?

cheers for any help.
    Last edited by abell21; 22-10-2008 at 09:49 AM.

0 0 0

2. Re: 1991 1.3 idle issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not that any one probably cares too much for the problems of an arrogant muppet like myself but i fixed the stalling and rocky running problem... or at least offset it a bit. thing is, i was running low on peterol as we often do... but as petrol prices have come down, at least until tomorrow when the greedy gits at opec shove the price back up again, i thought i'd trreat myself to petrol from the nearest garage... it was a shell station. one minute after i started the car she was like a different beast! smooth as you like and refuses to conk out while driving, even if i try to make it!

how do they (shell) do it???!!!!

wonderfuel, simply wonderfuel!

0 0 0

3. Re: 1991 1.3 idle issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I will not put anything other than V-Power in my car although I am a little surprised Shell made that much difference. The Pierburg 2E3 carb used on the 2G engine is very troublesome and quite difficult to set up. It may be that you had a blocked jet which has now cleared. Finding someone who knows the 2E3 well is getting more and more difficult as those who know them are getting on a bit and have either retired, died or moved up the food chain in the garage industry and would not be seen dead with a screwdriver in their hand.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: 1991 1.3 idle issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have wondered in the past how tesco made value petrol... i guess it's like their beans, dont taste how you expect... i would like to switch to a weber, but my insurance company would have a field day! here's hoping that the piersburg'll last a bit longer...

cheers folks

0 0 0

5. Re: 1991 1.3 idle issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The Weber conversion for your car is a direct replacement unit and is of no concern to the insurance company. It is a cracking conversion that solves the 2E3 issues for good BUT it is much more susceptible to icing up so the hot air pre heat system must be in perfect condition.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0