Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
    high octane petrol will only make a difference in newer cars
    I know my Dads old Cavalier SRI had a little chip to switch in the engine bay that was to change the timing to suit 95/98 RON depending on what you were using (H reg). Seemed to make it a little pokier, but who knows.
    My old Vectra used to automatically sense the RON rating, and I did notice better MPG with 98RON (R reg), not worth the extra cash though.

P.S. I'm putting together the culmination of my knowledge on the 'Pro's and Con's of Biodiesel use', which will go in the appropriate section in the next few days. Another 'Sticky' perhaps...
    Last edited by Huweth; 05-02-2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
    Passat Sport Estate 2001 1.9 TDI PD
    100k miles

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huweth View Post
    I know my Dads old Cavalier SRI had a little chip to switch in the engine bay that was to change the timing to suit 95/98 RON depending on what you were using (H reg). Seemed to make it a little pokier, but who knows.
    My old Vectra used to automatically sense the RON rating, and I did notice better MPG with 98RON (R reg), not worth the extra cash though.

P.S. I'm putting together the culmination of my knowledge on the 'Pro's and Con's of Biodiesel use', which will go in the appropriate section in the next few days. Another 'Sticky' perhaps...
    why not put it in that mod thread you started huweth? id class it as a mod and its already a sticky.... will be an interesting read

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Devonutopia.... this millers additive that you seem to rave about, what sets it apart from redex or other additives? contemplating giving it a try

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    high octane petrol will only make a difference in newer cars...i know my dad puts it in his audi a3 2.0T and used to laugh when i put it in my fiesta, cause apparently older engines cant take advantage of it. Dunno...

all i know is that im trying to burn fuel at the mo cause I found a local shell that is selling V-Max Diesel
    i've just found my nearest shell garage, 3.2 miles away LOL then theres about 2/3 within a mile of each other, sod's law i suppose, not sure if they sell the v max but ill defo be giving it a try anyway. golfs having a service this week before i go away for a few days, hopefull the combination of a decent service, some good oil, a good fuel and additive will help to run even smoother...... defo getting away from the tescos diesel though, i seem to be getting less and less mpg every time i fill up:***:

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is the shell you found in this Vpower Diesel List?

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ilability.html
    Golf Mark III TDI 1996
    ¬ Upsolute Stage I

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Is the shell you found in this Vpower Diesel List?

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ilability.html

Nope LOL handy list, shame theres nowhere near me, not sure when they're actually making it available nationwide??

0 0 0

7. Thumbs up  
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VISIT THE LINK BELOW TO THE FIFTH GEAR WEBSITE AND TAKE A LOOK AT THIS REPORT. IT SHOULD ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain....&featureid=143

UNFORTUNATELY, THEY ONLY TESTED UNLEADED FUELS

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLFMK5GTTDI View Post
    VISIT THE LINK BELOW TO THE FIFTH GEAR WEBSITE AND TAKE A LOOK AT THIS REPORT. IT SHOULD ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain....&featureid=143

UNFORTUNATELY, THEY ONLY TESTED UNLEADED FUELS
    good review id assume similar results would be found with the respective different diesel types. seems to be shell rule, i've heard a lot of them and the v max seems to making some waves in both petrol and diesel. that review doesnt mention anything about MPG though, all well and good having increased bhp, but no good if you're hammering your mpg....

0 0 0

Exmouth, Devon, UK. Drives Bonkers Fabia Diesel. Has full VCDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eshrules View Post
    Devonutopia.... this millers additive that you seem to rave about, what sets it apart from redex or other additives? contemplating giving it a try
    Well, this stuff is designed for diesels alone. Millers is also a reputable company for making this (and oils - I also use their PD oil in my engine)

I've yet to try the sport 4. I have some ready for my next tankful which is in about 300 miles time. Been using diesel power plus for a good time before this, and although it was meant for older diesel engines, it's been good for my car. The Sport 4 is labelled as good for "Euro IV compliant engines" which I believe the PD engine falls in to.
    Jason - Rather mad Skoda Fabia driver.... Odd whiff of diesel coming from him.
    260bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvjJjL7Z50
    315bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run (2013)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOE4nbT5NGY

0 0 0

10. Question  
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    FUEL SOURCES,

I work for an oil company not too far from kingsbury, so i can find out which companies pull thair fuel from the same tanks

i think tesco pull from the same tanks as jet/cococo and total

bp and shell share the same depot and i think morrisons and asda pull from them too. having said all that depending on the account, depends on what addative is added to the fuel when loaded.

in essence unleaded is unleaded is unleaded the only difference is the addative

the same goes for super unleaded is shell optimax is bp ultimate is total excellium the only difference is addative

same as for all grades of diesel

texaco have a depot as well

and esso are in birmingham

all companies have accounts with each other ic case of supply shortages. if supply is ok then they should all pull from their standard outlets.

independant oil companies can pull fuel from wherever is cheapest, they are likely to deliver to independant garages and thus their fuel will not have addative in it regardless.

additised fuel costs more.

if you wish to look in to your fuel charactaristics i'll post links to thier respective technical data sheets which are free to obtain off their websites.

this is the total link.

http://www.total.co.uk/uk/ukcorporat...nt&LG=English&

click on quick fds.com, enter any company name (make one up) enter a name and a email address

click continue

enter total in supplier box

click continue

click total uk

click saftey data sheets

enter product name type DIESEL and for unleaded type MOTOR SPIRITS

bingo

follow the links and download the info

---------------------------------------

THIS IS THE SHELL LINK

http://www.epc.shell.com/default.asp?Countryid=GB

type in diesel or unleaded, then click on the application tab and browse away. the documentation is on the right.

msds is material saftey data sheet and tds is technical data sheet

0 0 0

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast