Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guys,

I have a an avant SE with s-line suspension and it has just covered 20,000 miles, and i have just noticed a knock from the steering only now and again.

Has anyone ever heard this?

0 0 0

2. Re: Knocking noise when steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thought you had my old car then when I read your post- I had the SE with S-Line suspension for 70k though.

No knocking on the steering though so can't help you there I'm afraid.
    2007 MK5 Golf GT TDI 140ps Diamond Black
    2004 A4 Avant S-Line 1.8T 190ps Avus Silver w/black optics
    1997 MK3 Golf GTI 16v Anniversary Diamond Black- now gone!

0 0 0

3. Re: Knocking noise when steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry mate i should have said it was new from Audi this Jan.

0 0 0

4. Re: Knocking noise when steering 
    folder Guest
    If the knocking comes when turning the wheel then very possibly it is a CV joint.

There are two CV joints, an outer CV Joint(cheaper to replace) and the dreaded interior CV joint.(Harder to change and decidedly expensive).

If the CV snaps then the driveshaft will become displaced meaning the engine will be running but those important front wheels will not turn.

However, the noise could be attributed to a cracked suspension arm whereby there is a crack so when you turn it becomes disjointed.

Having gone through Cv joints in 3 cars and most recently in a VW Passatt twice(same CV joint). You think I would have slowed down at the hump backed bridge but.................................

Get it into a Garage, nothing a dealer needs to be involved with, up on the lift, flashlight and the mechanic should easily see the problem.(unless its an interior CV joint).

0 0 0

5. Re: Knocking noise when steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Its possibly the lower suspension arms.Make sure you have at least 4mm of tread depth as the sline steps out on full lock and the lower arms (there are two each side) without the shocker mounted to it can move to far causing the inner bush to hit the stops and also the inner bonded bush weakens oer time causing sideways movement under full lock causing the brief knock.I doubt your normal indi workshop will pick this up and it can only be recreated by loading the steering up on a flat ramp and the cv joints on b7 are very unlikely unless the boot is ripped.That's in my experience for what its worth and the lower arms were modified for this very complaint but if it occurs under extreme lock ie multi storey carparks with tight turns then you may find this is common with the sline set up and bigger wheels and low tread depth which contributes to the issue as the tyre surface in contact with the road is insufficient and the wheel steps causing the suspension arms to moe past there normal loaded postion.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

6. Re: Knocking noise when steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Might sound a little stupid, but if you got it new in January why dont you just put it back to the dealer and let them sort it under warranty and let them do the hard work sorting the problem. And if you have done 20K you must be either due a service or just had one. Two birds with one stome to me and a no brainer...

0 0 0

7. Smile Re: Knocking noise when steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, just got my A4 back from Audi, and guess what i got a new steering rack and some kind of manifold pipe (also to do with the steering).

All under warranty, which was good!!

just thought i would update you.

Preston Audi was excellent, really good people and really nice to deal with.

And the new A3 i got was great! really impressed.

0 0 0

8. Re: Knocking noise when steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    Its possibly the lower suspension arms.Make sure you have at least 4mm of tread depth as the sline steps out on full lock and the lower arms (there are two each side) without the shocker mounted to it can move to far causing the inner bush to hit the stops and also the inner bonded bush weakens oer time causing sideways movement under full lock causing the brief knock.I doubt your normal indi workshop will pick this up and it can only be recreated by loading the steering up on a flat ramp and the cv joints on b7 are very unlikely unless the boot is ripped.That's in my experience for what its worth and the lower arms were modified for this very complaint but if it occurs under extreme lock ie multi storey carparks with tight turns then you may find this is common with the sline set up and bigger wheels and low tread depth which contributes to the issue as the tyre surface in contact with the road is insufficient and the wheel steps causing the suspension arms to moe past there normal loaded postion.

Wow, there's a depth of knowledge / experience you don't see to often!

I seem to get a creaking noise when turning full-lock, going up ramps in multi-story car parks. This creaking seems to come from the dashboard and doesn't sound mechanical.

Is it possible it's just the whole chassis twisting slightly, causing the dashboard to twist too?

Any opinions appreciated
    Al.
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    [ Past VWs: Mk1 GTI Cab | Mk3 2.0 Cab |
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

9. Re: Knocking noise when steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Toff Possible but i would suggest testing a like for like vehicle.

Hi, just got my A4 back from Audi, and guess what i got a new steering rack and some kind of manifold pipe (also to do with the steering).

Audoman
    The modified rack and pas pipe is for aggressive aeration of the returning pas fluid to the reservoir unique to rhd b7 a4 causing mooing noises on ns lock mainly from cold.Preston audi you say i no one or two of the lads there and there a good bunch
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

10. Re: Knocking noise when steering 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah,

Preston Audi Rocks great set of lads and gals.

After the service and steering bits the cat is sweet again. And they even threw in a portion of oil.

Excellent.

0 0 0