1. Any W8 owners here ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Having had Passats in the family since the B5 came out I am thinking of moving from my 5 series to a W8 - if nothing else to keep some consistency for the missus, and me to get some software and tools to stay on top of minor stuf. Besides she won't drive the 5 series says it is too big and she only knows how to drive passats. She drives an 01 1.8T Sport that is actually mine leaving me to use the BMW exclusively. This is a pain in the royals when her car is in the garage or I need the load carrying abilities of the Passat because I get to play taxi - so it is time to lose the Bimmer ...

I digress

What is the score with W8's, what should be looked for? - they seem relatively rare in forums such as this so not much info for new buyers.

I'd like to know what is and isn't standard equipment on the 02 / 03 models in particular, are things such as stability control standard, and any faults or bad habits these cars have.

If anyone has a W8 brochure in pdf format that covers the 02 / 03 model year they could E-Mail that would be great.
    0 0 0

Exmouth, Devon, UK. Drives Bonkers Fabia Diesel. Has full VCDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jabba as in Jabba(sport) ???? Or Jabba the hut?

Only asking as my tuner is called Jabbasport, so once I saw your username I had to ask.

Attached some links which I found

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...gen_passat_w8/

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...passat_w8.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...en_passat.html

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews...8-2004886.html
    Jason - Rather mad Skoda Fabia driver.... Odd whiff of diesel coming from him.
    260bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvjJjL7Z50
    315bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run (2013)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOE4nbT5NGY
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well Jabba the Hutt but I know Jabba Sport well having owned EVO's for 4 years - alas no longer do I have such toys.

The reviews are appreciated but I had read them already - I am after owners first hand stories - if you know what I mean ...

I really don't know if the W8 is a good choice .... and once the deal is done there is no going back. The wife will love it but if you have ever driven a 5 series you will understand my reservations .... if only the 5 was more 'practical' .....
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    'If you've ever driven a 5 series you'll know what I mean'.

Interesting statement. I bought an 01 530i sport from a friend in December. 46k from new, 'Individual' spec with auto, nav and all the toys in Techno Violet. My mate gave £39k for it in 2001. It now sits alongside my '54 Passat V6 TDi on my drive and I'm having a real dilemma about whether to keep it 'for best'. The reason? I thought it was going to be head and shoulders above the Passat but honestly, I'm not sure that it is, at least up to 100mph.

When we drove it home with a mate driving the Passat ahead of me, the 5 had trouble keeping up when pulling out of a roundabout with both kicked down into 2nd. From start the BM is markedly quicker but I'm more interested in real world performance not boy racer stuff.

The leather seats in the VW are great and a match for the BM. Both have auto wipe and cruise, auto, good sound system, taut handling and a quality feel. The BM may be slightly smoother but there's not a lot in it and it will be a lot more expensive to run. Rear tyres alone are Boxster 265/35 18ZR's at getting on for £200 a pop compared with £80 ish for 225/45 17's on the VW.

I should have thought the W8 would have been remarkable but the fuel consumption is reputedly poor. I've seen a few going through auction for dirt money so you'll get a bargain compared with a 5 but I wouldn't pay much. The depreciation on an top price, retail car will be crippling.

Be interested in your feedback if you try one.

Jonathan
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Just been looking on the British Car Auctions stock locator and there's a grey 51 plate W8 for sale with 43k up and fsh booked at £7600 with retail at £10,250. Only downside (for some) is it's a manual.

Better still, there's a Phaeton V10TDi LWB with 10k up registered may 05. Book says £36300. A lot of dough but not when it was £63k 18 months ago.

Jonathan
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I understand you I think - any chance of a link to that BCA site - I prefer manuals !!

The reason I look to the W8 is because I have the 1.8T Sport Passat and I know how that drives. The only place where I find the Bimmer outclasses the VW is in the weight distribution and it's ability in the twisties, the VW just feels loose somehow by comparison especially in the wet, our VW is on 18" rims with the latest Toyo Proxes and this has improved it some but still not confidence inspiring in the pass or the valleys. I was kind of hoping the 4 motion part would be a cure for that loose feeling.

I too am not interested in the boy racer stuff - thats one of the reasons I got rid of the last EVO .. because like gunfighters there were lame brains every time I went out who tried to prove something - bad for me and everyone else - they had no chance but it didn't stop the Novas / Civics / Saxos etc etc disengaging the brain and proving to all around why young peoples high insurance costs are justified.

The 5 is more than capable of 155 were I mental enough to do it, it is also capable of 0 to disqualified in under 8 seconds, but I have matured since the days when I admit I probably would have used everything the car could deliver. Not any more, at least outside a track day and then I am daft enough still but not rich enough.

Nope it's the Q car and flat cap for me these days
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are very few W8 owners, even less so on "t'internet".

If you head over to www.clubb5.com and navigate to the forums you'll find a few owners. Being an American site, they all want more power but there are a few who just like to drive them

Maintenance is a big sticking point, the engine needs to be removed for a lot of jobs (timing chain being one of them).

If I were buying, Black on black, 6spd estate please.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Here's the link for BCA but you do have to pay a small fee for access http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/. Go to auction watch and figure out what to do from there.

The W8 I mentioned is at Blackbushe, near Camberley, tomorrow.

Looks stunning in met grey. 43k, 4 stamps in the book. Lot of car for 7.5k or thereabouts. 51 plate.

Good luck if you decide to go for a look.

Jonathan
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here is a site you should check out. Dedicated solely to W8s.
    0 0 0