Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, i'm sure some of you have kept tags on my previous thread, thought i'd start a new one with all the before and after pics etc now that its nearly complete, no need to read all the old stuff about wether to buy the front conversion or not in the first thread-so here goes...

bought the following parts to start with;-
    Replica gti front end conversion-to fit standard golf mk5 without replacing slam panel, this includes fog grills, lower grill, number plate holder,and main front grill www.vagen.vg
    oem gti side skirts www.volkswagen.co.uk
    oem gti rear lower valance with towbar cover www.volkswagen.co.uk
    oem gti front grill emblem, and rear boot gti letters http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=011
    i bought these bits, was very impressed with the front conversion, used a guide already online for removing the front bumper https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=20807 this guide is very accurate, and it is very easy to follow and do, pretty much the same when installing the conversion on, accept the 4 main screws at the front behind the grill arent needed to install it, i just cable tied a few front points to make me feel better, one problem was where the 2 screws fit the top of the bumper and grill i had to hacksaw off 2 bits that were stopping these screws from fitting-i can pic and describe if needed
    also had to use my original vw badge on the front grill as this wasnt supplied with conversion
    when changing the rear bumper its a case of removing the arch and underneath screws like the front bumper, then working your way around the clips from the arch all the way around-i used a fork handle to prize open the clips whilst pulling the bumper!!,
    ******problems installing new rear valance*****
    when trying to simply clip on the new valance, once you get by the number plate area there is a big gap behind the top part of the bumper which means no hardiness to push on it to get clips to connect-had to take out rear lights, and whole of back bumper piece, then put together with rear valance, and then put it all back together!!!!!
    removing the handles for spraying was pretty easy also used an online guide for this - http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/181523/1188207.aspx this guide is also very accurate and easy to follow/do, i did however put cable ties on the wire pulley parts to open doors as i had to use the car for a few days whilst handles were being sprayed and didnt want to lose the wires in the door!-this is perfectly safe and locking etc still works.

I pretty much waited for all the parts, then had the rear valance & side skirts smoothed down, and spryaed with the handles and front end too, the car looks awesome now, also bought some oem R32 18inch rims whilst waiting for parts which really made the car look good even with standard bodykit!!,
    all i'm gonna do now is buy & install some foglights, buy a tdi 170ps backbox to fit the twin rear silencers, and buy door mouldings, get them smoothed down and sprayed, should be pretty much complete then
    (oh, and gonna get a removable towbar fitted too!!!!
    any questions i'd be more than happy to help
    Last edited by myhopper; 02-06-2009 at 10:07 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    great looking conversion. Impressed with the non-OEM gti front end, looks like the real deal. Is it decent quality? How much to you pay to get it prepared and sprayed?

Paul

0 0 0

3. Re: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    quality is pretty much the same as oem, made from same materials, cost me 200 to get any bits smoothed down and all sprayed!!!

0 0 0

4. Re: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any pics of the side skirts and a handy guide as to how to fit them?

0 0 0

5. Re: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Great work mate, Got a side shot.
    Just another B7 Estate

0 0 0

6. Re: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not got a clue about side skirts yet-i will be taking pics, but they prob gonna be fitted by bodyshop

0 0 0

7. Re: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks very good but it shouldnt really be wearing a "GTI" badge should it?!

0 0 0

8. Re: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking good. It does make me cringe to see the GTI badge on anything less though.
    Get educated or get ripped off!

0 0 0

9. Re: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think its purely down to personal preference, u wouldnt know if i didnt tell you!
    i'm thinking i'd like to just r-line badges on it, as i have thought about this for ages, but personally i like the gti badges, and the whole point of the conversion was to make it look like a gti

while im on the subject, anyone know of any firms that could make the right connections to fit the emblem if i supply a design for a custum grill emblem??
    and a firm who could make my cunstum rear badge??

0 0 0

10. Re: Gti Conversion nearly complete!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myhopper
    u wouldnt know if i didnt tell you!
    Not wanting to get into a pi55ing contest and drifitng slightly OT but I think anyone who knew anything about cars would know it wasnt a real 'GTI' - wheels, side rubbing strips, interior just for starters!

Let alone the racket it makes when you start it and the lack of performance away from the lights!

Car looks excellent as it is, dont spoil it IMO. Clean lines look classy!

My A4 has an RS4 blackout grille on it but I'd be embarrased to drive it with an RS4 badge on, imagine someone asked me how fast it was? - "Err, its a diesel actually!"

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast