1. Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The passenger side headlamp on my 2003 A6 avant isn't working. I switched in on briefly before setting off on a journey yesterday and it was working ok, then when I was coming back last night the bulb warning light came on soon after I turned the main headlamps on. The light from the bulb appears to be like the bixenon as they come on slowly but I have a manual headlamp level control (that I don't think works) - I was under the impression that a factory fitted bixenon comes with autoleveling.

My questions are:
    What could the problem be?
    How can I tell if I have factory fitted xenons?
    How do i replace the bulb, if possible?
    Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Cheers
    0 0 0

2. Re: Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Do you mean HID's as they come on slowly. These have a high voltage and ballast unit that can fail. WARNING. This HT voltage can kill you. If it does not kill you, you are going to have the imprint of the bonnet release catch on the back of your head and use of many expletives. DO you know what you are doing. Regards Peter
    Last edited by Peter D; 18-08-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Typo
    0 0 0

3. Re: Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It must be a HID light. It's funny that the other day the lamp failed but switched back on again after I turned it off and back on again. However last night the unit would not turn back on. Where is the ballast unit normally located? What is the safest way of repairing them?
    0 0 0

4. Re: Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Under and to the rear of the headlight unit. Just follow the cable down. email me info@3DAssociates.co.uk if you want diagrams. Regards Peter
    0 0 0

5. Re: Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ok, I checked it our last night. I managed to get the back cover off the lamp housing and found a high voltage sticker and located the ballast unit beneath the housing. I have a sneaky suspision that the previous owner upgraded his headlamps to HIDs. The reason I believe this is that there is no fuse in socket 10 which is for the dynamic height control - I was under the impression that this is required as standard with HIDs. When I bought the car the owner had also replace the OEM grille with a unbadged one, something I rectified very soon after getting the car.

Now the next thing is what has failed - is it the bulb or the ballast or something else? I haven't taken the bulb out yet as I didn't disconnect the battery but I may do this weekend and swap the bulbs to see what happens.

Can anyone offer advice as to what the problem could be, how to rectify it and where to get spare parts from? I don't want to get my mecanhic in unless I absolutley have to.

The annoying thing is that I had the car checked over a few weeks ago by Nationwide service centres and they said that there is nothing wrong with it!
    0 0 0

6. Re: Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Safest is to swop the bulb for either a replacement off the net or from the other side. However in spect the fial ? bulb. Is the glass still clean or has it gone dark on the inside. Do not stick a meter up the HT feed at you will destroy the meter and may be you unless you have an HT meter or an Avo 8 or Taylor 7 with a 3/3.5KV option and the right leads. Regards Peter
    0 0 0

7. Re: Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've just checked the DfT website and found that to use HID you need headlamp cleaning and self levelling - as I have neither I can only conclude that the previous owner has retro fitted HIDs! I am now thinking about converting back to normal halogens as I don't want it to fail any future MOTs. How can I convert back to normal halogens?
    0 0 0

8. Re: Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No body to my knowledge has reported on here an MOT failure for HID's however many have complained about the poor lights and converted to HID. DO some homework. Regards Peter
    0 0 0

9. Re: Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I took the headlamp unit apart today and had a really good look around. The ballast unit had been glued to the underside of light unit using a black mastic type adhesive. It is a Philips LVQ212 L300 23kV 35 watt ballast with what I think is a D2S bulb.

I have attached photographs this time.

Rear view of headlamp

Ballast

Bulb

Things to note:
    There is no way of removing the bulb from the cable without cutting it - it appears to have been permanently attached. Therefore I was not able to swap the bulbs around. On the back of the bulb was some metallic putty like substance.
    The incoming power cables go into the lamp housing via the main connector block and out again through a gromit connector just above the left ballast connections.
    The outgoing power cable goes from the ballast into the headlight housing just below the headlamp adjustment cog.
    The condition of the bulb appears to be the same on the working headlamp unit. I was not able to swap them over as I would have to cut the cable to free the bulb.

Can someone confirm if this is the original unit and not a retrofit? Note I do not have auto headlight adjustment or washers.

I am seriously thinking about replacing the headlights with normal halogens to prevent future major expenditure. I am thinking of cutting the incoming power cable, attaching spade connectors and then attaching a H7 halogen bought from Halfords along with a connector block. Is this possible or will I have to take the car to a garage and get them to sort it out?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    0 0 0

10. Re: Failed headlamp bulb 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Looking at the pics you have posted i'd say that you have an aftermarket kit.I fitted a similar kit to my car in an attempt to improve headlight performance and it's virtually identical.
    If you look around on ebay i'm sure you can buy spares.
    djl
    '12 Audi A4 Allroad 2.0 TDI 'CGLC'
    '11 VW GOLF BLUEMOTION 1.6 TDI. 'CAYC'
    '07 VW T5 TRANSPORTER T32 ,,,,,, 'BNZ'
    '91 VW GOLF SPORTLINE CABRIOLET 1.8 GTI. 'DX'
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast