1. air bag fault vw passat 54 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a vw passat tdi 54 plate new shape. two days ago air bag fault light came on the dash. spoke to vw service and they say its probably a fault under the passanger seat as this is a common fault. but they want stupid money to look at it and fix it. what could the fault be and how can i fix it myself. regards paul

0 0 0

2. Re: air bag fault vw passat 54 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

2 things,

1. in order to find out what the fault is, you'll need to have a fault code read, either from a garage or getting a fault dcode reader yourself and a copy of VAGCOM
    2. When VW service mentioned a fault under the passenger seat, alarm bells rang out. Do a search for water leaks in the Passat B5 forum to see what I mean.

The first thing to do is check out your plenum chamber (where the battery sits) and see if it's full of water.

Let us know how you come on.
    Nothing to see here, move along..

0 0 0

3. Re: air bag fault vw passat 54 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem on my current Audi A4. Moving the passenger seat backwards and forwards occasionally triggered the airbag warning light. Had this checked by the dealer and it showed as the seat airbag. Had this reset by the dealer (at cost) and free by my mechanic brother in law (twice). When I checked the wires and connectors for the seat airbag, the multi pin connectors were TINY - less than 1mm. It looked like they were getting disturbed by the seat movement. On my brother in law's advice I cut out the multi pin connetors and soldered the wires together direct. This fixed the problem - over 18 months now with no repeat airbag lights.

This does mean you would have to unsolder the connections if ever you wanted to take the seat out of the car - but how likely is that? Also remember to note the wire colours down on each side of the multi pin connectors before you cut the wires. That way you can rejoin the correct wires.

0 0 0

4. Re: air bag fault vw passat 54 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I fail to see why they would ask lots of money to even look at it...

Is it still under Warranty?
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

1 0 0

5. Re: air bag fault vw passat 54 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The air bag connector under the passenger seat comes loose and puts the airbag light on. VWknow this and have a service bulletin for it. You just cut out the connector and solder the cut ends together. It might be possible to get a dealer to do this under warranty even if the car is out of warranty.

0 0 0

6. Re: air bag fault vw passat 54 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I had this fault a couple of times, firstly when my wife got out of the passenger seat, the light came on and VW 'fixed' it under warranty. It came on again when the boot lid was slammed, again VW 'fixed' it, each time telling me it was a problem under the passenger seat (couldn't see where slamming the boot lid fitted that). It came on again sometime afterwards and VW changed an airbag. No problems since. So lhd or rhd seems to make no difference.

A friend has had a (rhd) BMW 3 series from new, and the same problem from new - and was told it was a problem under the passenger seat. It is hard-wired now, but the light still comes on, and he has just learned to live with it. This would, however, seem to suggest that there is actually a problem with an airbag in his car, if my experience is anything to go by.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

7. Re: air bag fault vw passat 54 
    luckda Guest
    We had the same issue. It was fixed by the dealer but I don't know what they did to resolve it as I was not at home when they returned the car. Last week the problem reappeared so its going back to the dealers. Will keep you all updated on solution

0 0 0

8. Re: air bag fault vw passat 54 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This has happend twice with my 07 Sport 170, both times rectified at the dealer

0 0 0

9. Re: air bag fault vw passat 54 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PDFIRE View Post
    I have a vw passat tdi 54 plate new shape. two days ago air bag fault light came on the dash. spoke to vw service and they say its probably a fault under the passanger seat as this is a common fault. but they want stupid money to look at it and fix it. what could the fault be and how can i fix it myself. regards paul
    Could be a resistor fault, they wear down after time, common problem.

0 0 0