1. Post Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I thought I'd offer a quick review of the Volkswagen Premium Bluetooth and the RCD510 radio. The radio is an extra £220 (in a Passat), the bluetooth is £575. Both fully integrate and work with the multifunction steeering wheel. Overall, the whole system is fantastic, but the problems are so frustrating that I'd not go the same route again. Read on.................

The RCD 510 gets a complete thumbs up, with no complaints at all. Colour touch screen control, 6 x MP3 CD's, tags visble on screen, track listing etc. There is also an SD card slot, which works brilliantly and an AUX-In 3.5mm socket in the armrest. The radio isn't bad either, reception is good and you can store 35 stations as a mix of FM and AM without swapping bands. Tracks and radio stations are shown on the touch screen and on the highline display. There is no longer an option for iPOD integration, but it was pretty krapp anyway, so I don't consider it a major problem.

If you have the optional front and rear parking sensors, these are also integrated into the radio and a "view from above" graphic comes up on screen as soon as reverse is engaged. The German version has the option of park assist, but this is not for UK market yet.

The Premium Bluetooth kit fully integrates with the radio, the highline display and the steering wheel. Overall it is magnificent, allowing full visiblity of contacts lists, on-screen speed-dials, integrated voice dialing, easy change from phone to phone. It is not like a Parrot or similar kit, in that it doesn't just control the phone; it is a fully integrated car kit that "steals" the identity of the SIM card in your phone and then does its own thing. It uses the car aerial, so reception is always perfect, even on the top of the Pennines where I usually lose signal. No cradles to get gummed up with bits of dust, the phone can stay in your pocket unless you need to plug in a charger.

However, the Bluetooth kit has one MAJOR flaw. It can only work in this fully integrated mode with phones which are compatible. It cannot offer a "simple" bluetooth mode like other car kits or like handsfree earpieces do.

The list of compatible phones is very short and most of them are now obsolete. Samsung and LG do not support it, Sony Ericsson and Motorola did, but now do not, so maybe your old phone will work but your new one definately will not. A range of Nokia phones do work, but I've tried a couple of supposedly compatible old 'uns and the connection results were patchy at best. It also turned its nose up a a new N95 but this will supposedly work if you do a software patch to the phone. A couple of Siemens phones also work - great if you live in Germany but no use here. If you've just bought a non-compatible phone on an 18 month contract don't waste money on the VW kit because you are going to be using the Borg headset until you swap to a Nokia. Nokia can't/won't guarantee that their phones will support it in future, but given that they supply the kit to VW the chances are that things will be okay.

So, in summary:
    RCD 510 = 10/10 (lower marks if you are an avowed iPOD junkie)
    RCD510 with reversing sensors = 10/10
    VW Premium Bluetooth Kit = 5/10, reflecting its deeply flawed genius and its Nokia fetish.

I hope this helps.

p.s. apparently, it is the same phone kit for VW, Bentley, Audi, Skoda, Porsche and Ferrari 599GTB so if you want to use the same phone in your Ferrari, there is only one model you can buy from Marenello, don't buy a 430 or a 612.
    Last edited by Ben; 30-07-2008 at 01:45 PM.

1 0 0

2. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many Thanks for the review.....You don't happen to have any in car shots of it do you pls?
    Also, I'm led to understand that some of the higher spec systems offer the facility to store that last few traffic reports. Does this do that..or anything 'special.

Cheers
    Dave
    Passat 170 Sport Estate (landed with 9 miles on the clock! )
    TomTom with live updates
    M6 Toll Tag
    Dash Cam
    32gig media card...

0 0 0

3. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes, it does store traffic reports, complete with the time of broadcast in the same way as the Audi Concert radio. I forgot that bit, sorry.

As well as RDS on FM stations it also has the option for "Radio text", whatever that is. There are no stations near me that transmit radio text, so it may be a German or mainland Europe thing.

There is already a web site with some photos, so I'll try and look up the link and put it here.

0 0 0

4. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you fit the RCD510 yourself ?

0 0 0

5. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stangrenade View Post
    Did you fit the RCD510 yourself ?
    No, factory fit option instead of the RCD310, at an extra £220, which I reckon is a bargain (compared with VW prices for Sat-Nav, etc.).

It is a straight plug & play replacement for the standard radio, though. They are starting to pop up on E-Bay for about £500, but should be cheaper once there are a few about.

0 0 0

6. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Superb. ive been toying with the idea of replacing my RCD300 for the RCD510 but have been very hesitant in case it wasnt so simple as a straight swap. The dealer quoted me £800 for the 510 !! so now cant decide if i should go for the sat nav version while im at it , any suggestions ?

0 0 0

7. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stangrenade View Post
    Superb. ive been toying with the idea of replacing my RCD300 for the RCD510 but have been very hesitant in case it wasnt so simple as a straight swap. The dealer quoted me £800 for the 510 !! so now cant decide if i should go for the sat nav version while im at it , any suggestions ?
    People seem to either love or hate the VW Sat-Nav system. For my money it is over priced and under-performing compared with a cheapo Tom Tom; almost 10x the extra price of the RCD510 was just too much for me. But the RNS510 touch screen Nav does look seriously nice, check out the review of it, also on the In-Car-Entertainment thread.

£810 seems a wacking great big price for an RCD510. Can you negotiate to get it at a trade price? They are starting to appear on EBay at about £500. Nav units strart at about twice this, but I've not seen a second-hand RNS510 yet.

It is definately a straight swap for the RCD310 and I assume for the RCD300, but it is worth checking before you splash out.

0 0 0

8. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes you're right it does look nice but after a quote of £1600 !! for the RNS i think i'll definately give it a miss. The MP3 was my main attraction for swapping units.
    I did get a trade quote though, £760 haha, save a little i guess.

To be honest i was a bit miffed after calling the dealers today, i also wanted to upgrade the steering wheel for the one with controls on, apparently this cannot be carried out aftermarket due not having that particular wiring loom or connection ports on fuse/control box. according to the dealers theres not alot can be added after the car has come off line, even origional foglights cannot be fit after unless an insane price is paid.

I am still going to go for the RCD510 as i do love my ICE, and upgrade the speakers, then if theres not too much bother involved i'll see about fitting an amp (the under passenger seat version) as i dont want to disturb too much on the motor.

''It is definately a straight swap for the RCD310 and I assume for the RCD300, but it is worth checking before you splash out.'' - dont suppose you could point me in the right direction where to post such a question please? i have done already but think i put it in totally the wrong place , not 1 reply !! im a noobie here haha.

cheers Teflon

0 0 0

9. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not taken any photos yet, but here's a video I found of some of the RCD510 functions. Only things it doesn't show are CD play and the parking sensors display.
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

10. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just taken delivery of my Touran. I chose the RCD510 and although it's a nice radio, it is sometimes a bit slow. For instance, going into the selection and navigating up to other discs takes too long. One thing that also irritates is the fact that the CD titles and artists, track info are not being displayed. Is anyone having the same issue ?

cheers.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast