Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    I thought I'd offer a quick review of the Volkswagen Premium Bluetooth and the RCD510 radio. The radio is an extra £220 (in a Passat), the bluetooth is £575. Both fully integrate and work with the multifunction steeering wheel. Overall, the whole system is fantastic, but the problems are so frustrating that I'd not go the same route again. Read on.................

The RCD 510 gets a complete thumbs up, with no complaints at all. Colour touch screen control, 6 x MP3 CD's, tags visble on screen, track listing etc. There is also an SD card slot, which works brilliantly and an AUX-In 3.5mm socket in the armrest. The radio isn't bad either, reception is good and you can store 35 stations as a mix of FM and AM without swapping bands. Tracks and radio stations are shown on the touch screen and on the highline display. There is no longer an option for iPOD integration, but it was pretty krapp anyway, so I don't consider it a major problem.

If you have the optional front and rear parking sensors, these are also integrated into the radio and a "view from above" graphic comes up on screen as soon as reverse is engaged. The German version has the option of park assist, but this is not for UK market yet.

The Premium Bluetooth kit fully integrates with the radio, the highline display and the steering wheel. Overall it is magnificent, allowing full visiblity of contacts lists, on-screen speed-dials, integrated voice dialing, easy change from phone to phone. It is not like a Parrot or similar kit, in that it doesn't just control the phone; it is a fully integrated car kit that "steals" the identity of the SIM card in your phone and then does its own thing. It uses the car aerial, so reception is always perfect, even on the top of the Pennines where I usually lose signal. No cradles to get gummed up with bits of dust, the phone can stay in your pocket unless you need to plug in a charger.

However, the Bluetooth kit has one MAJOR flaw. It can only work in this fully integrated mode with phones which are compatible. It cannot offer a "simple" bluetooth mode like other car kits or like handsfree earpieces do.

The list of compatible phones is very short and most of them are now obsolete. Samsung and LG do not support it, Sony Ericsson and Motorola did, but now do not, so maybe your old phone will work but your new one definately will not. A range of Nokia phones do work, but I've tried a couple of supposedly compatible old 'uns and the connection results were patchy at best. It also turned its nose up a a new N95 but this will supposedly work if you do a software patch to the phone. A couple of Siemens phones also work - great if you live in Germany but no use here. If you've just bought a non-compatible phone on an 18 month contract don't waste money on the VW kit because you are going to be using the Borg headset until you swap to a Nokia. Nokia can't/won't guarantee that their phones will support it in future, but given that they supply the kit to VW the chances are that things will be okay.

So, in summary:
    RCD 510 = 10/10 (lower marks if you are an avowed iPOD junkie)
    RCD510 with reversing sensors = 10/10
    VW Premium Bluetooth Kit = 5/10, reflecting its deeply flawed genius and its Nokia fetish.

I hope this helps.

p.s. apparently, it is the same phone kit for VW, Bentley, Audi, Skoda, Porsche and Ferrari 599GTB so if you want to use the same phone in your Ferrari, there is only one model you can buy from Marenello, don't buy a 430 or a 612.

Hello.

i have a VW Golf with RCD510+Bluetooth kit
    Agree in almost all you say but in bluetooth kit i had problems with my old phone ( LG GT 505) and in the time i ended in buy a new one, but there's allways some updates that u can make in phone because all the phone needs to have is an option called "Remote SIM Card" the Samsung have it but it comes turned off so u just need turn it on, i have a Samsung H1 atm and works.

My old LG phone had the option but it wasnt available in software, so checked ( ALOT) around web and found some update and it works. but its a risk cause some u can mess up the phone also with those updates.

Since Remote SIM Card is an old thing at phones most part of phones can work there.

All the rest agree with you, the system is fantastic, the only thing i dont like there is like u say, it should have an option to conect the phone by bluetooth without remote SIM Card, i mean as normal old systems to be compatible with all phones at all.

0 0 0

3. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, first time poster.

Does anyone know the difference between a manufacturers fit of the bluetooth for the RCD510 and a dealer fit as there is quite a difference in the cost?

They have a version of teh car i want in stock but without the bluetooth option i was seeking. If i go for the stock model obvioulsy there is will only be a two week wait as opposed to 2 or 3 months for a manufactured car.

0 0 0

4. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Retrofit one off Ebay. Saves you a bucket load of cash
    Tiguan CR140 Sport |PDC all round| RNS 510 and RSAP/Iphone Premium BT |
    To do list: RVC, MFSW, MDI, Running Boards

0 0 0

5. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nets View Post
    Hello.

i have a VW Golf with RCD510+Bluetooth kit
    Agree in almost all you say but in bluetooth kit i had problems with my old phone ( LG GT 505) and in the time i ended in buy a new one, but there's allways some updates that u can make in phone because all the phone needs to have is an option called "Remote SIM Card" the Samsung have it but it comes turned off so u just need turn it on, i have a Samsung H1 atm and works.

My old LG phone had the option but it wasnt available in software, so checked ( ALOT) around web and found some update and it works. but its a risk cause some u can mess up the phone also with those updates.

Since Remote SIM Card is an old thing at phones most part of phones can work there.

All the rest agree with you, the system is fantastic, the only thing i dont like there is like u say, it should have an option to conect the phone by bluetooth without remote SIM Card, i mean as normal old systems to be compatible with all phones at all.
    I have just fitted the updated VW Premium Bluetooth which worked with both my RSAP enabled Blackberry phones and my personal iphone. It also has the bluetooth audio streaming so I can play my tracks off my phone through the head unit.

Got to be said, its a really good bit of updated kit

0 0 0

6. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redrolo View Post
    Retrofit one off Ebay. Saves you a bucket load of cash
    Do you have a link of the sort of thing I should be looking for?

Is it just a module that fits to the rear of the unit?

0 0 0

7. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapbook View Post
    Do you have a link of the sort of thing I should be looking for?

Is it just a module that fits to the rear of the unit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT is the one I fitted.

1 0 0

8. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to update this thread...

I'm thinking of installing the RCD510 to replace the RCD300 in my Golf. I would have liked to have the bluetooth working, but as I understand it:-

1 - I need to pay aroun 300-400 for the VW BT kit
    2 - It won't work with my HTC Desire or other Andriod phone
    3 - I'd save a lot of money simply having a Parrot kit attached to it instead

Is this about right or have some changes been made?
    I would like it all to be fully functional but saving about 300 by having a Parrot kit, which does work with my phone seems to make more sense.

0 0 0

9. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    samsung galaxy s works great, it gives people who have both mobile and landline number an icon so you can see which is which

0 0 0

10. Re: Review of Premium Bluetooth and RCD510 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you can install the Fiscon BT kit instead for around 400! But it works with everything.

0 0 0

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast