Notices

User Tag List

Thread: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Unhappy scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HI everyone, I have recently bought a 1990 scirocco gt2 1800cc carb. the car was great for a while but has recently been a pain. The engine cuts out after a few minutes driving then i let it sit for a minute or so then it starts and runs fine, for a few more minutes then cuts out again and so on.
    at first i thought it was the engine overheating so fitted new thermostat, radiator, waterpump, radiator switch but no change to the engine cutting out. so changed coil, distributor cap and rotor arm and fuel in line filter. And the car still cuts out. the engine does seem to run too fast, so i will change the waxstat ,when i pull up to a junction i can hear that the engine is running too fast and when i park and cut the engine off and remove the key the engine will keep running very roughly for up to a minute!.
    why does the engine cut out? please help, i love the car and want to keep on rockin.
    Last edited by chumpanzie; 30-07-2008 at 12:06 PM.

0 0 0

2. Cool Re: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi chumpanzie, i reckon you got **** in your tank probably from a rusty filler neck. Remove the back seat and pull out the fuel sender, enlarge the pin holes and replace. also try getting **** out of tank with magnet. If not try replacing the base plate.

0 0 0

3. Re: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers alex. well it appears that the problem has blown itself out. hopefully just some dirt in carb i guess. the cooling problem was sorted with the replacements mentioned earlier.
    now the problem is this sticky auto choke which has the car over running most of the time, anyone have any suggestions on repair?

0 0 0

4. Re: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    The Pierburg carb can cost a lot to repair. The Scirocco suffers from the clutch cable damaging the wiring to the Thermo Time Valve on the side of the carb which can cause a fast idle and also the wax stat not closing the fast idle down. Personally I would replace the carb with the Weber manual coke carb kit, I have done literally hundreds of these over the last twenty years and they are a permanent fix. The only problem with the Weber is they are much more prone to icing in the winter so careful attention to the air filter hot air feed and manifold hot water feed systems is vital unless you want it stopping on you in cold weather.

The running on you are getting is what tends to called dieseling and is the fuel igniting from the glowing carbon and spark plugs in the combustion chamber and can be very damaging to the engine. If your engine does this you must stop it by staling the engine but make sure it is safe to do so.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey cheers crasher. great advice.
    any cost ideas for the Weber manual choke carb kit?

0 0 0

6. Re: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi i seem to be suffering with the same problem with my scirocco gt2. Ive changed the coil which did nothing. it drives for a bit till its warm then just cuts out but kangaroos first then it will let you rev but when you put it under load it just dies. Then it sometimes will start straight away or you have to leave it for a bit. sometime it wont wont to start at all just cant work it out. pleases can someone help... driving me insane many thanks andy......

0 0 0

8. Re: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Andy. it sounds like we have the same problem. i still havent changed to a pierburg carb but that does seem to be the real solution. in the meantime i changed the rotor arm, dist cap and spark plug with great improvement. the dist cap was particularly worn. still not 100 percent but a vast improvement. good luck

0 0 0

9. Re: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    might try and put a feed of fuel straight into the carb so i can find if the problem is at the front or back.. before i start throwing my money in a pit .. but cheers for your help.. if you find out anymore info let us know..

0 0 0

10. Re: scirocco gt2 engine cuts outs, HELP!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Carb icing. Has this just started happening as it got colder?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast