Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Power steering noise, leak, gaiter piston drivers wheel arch.

1. Power steering noise, leak, gaiter piston drivers wheel arch. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1999 VW Passat V6 TDI Auto 120,000 miles ( engine marked as Audi ), which has power steering fluid leaking from gaiter on drivers side piston arm.
    The power steering has been noisy at low revs on full lock for a while. But the power steering has become really noisy.
    I have looked at the post on vibration on power steering etc, which has been traced to the clutch pulley, being the source of the problem.

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...t=17257&page=2

I have stripped the front of the car off to get to all the belts. Despite good service dealer history, the bottom two belts (which service the alternator, power steering, air conditioning) are badly cracked and look like they have been on for far too long.
    I wonder if perhaps the power steering pump belt has been slipping and the power steering not working properly, or other problems ?

Questions please, as the passat is new to me ( having had Range Rovers in the past ).
    1) I am going to replace all belts now. Is the clutch the large pulley that sits at the bottom of the block to the right of the alternator ? This double pulley has a rubber bung in the centre which has worn a circle on the plastic cover……. When it ran this pulley seem to run with a slight wobble.
    2) There seems to be a powerful spring attached to a tension pulley, should that be changed or adjusted.
    3) The engine has always had that noisy diesel rattle, but is it possible that the tooth belts on the top have jumped and knocked the timing out ? I see red marks that have been used to align the pulleys when fitting the top tooth belts before, should I look to realign with these marks before refitting new belts just in case, or just go with what I have at the moment.

Sorry it is so long winded……………….
    Last edited by charcos; 22-07-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: picture added

0 0 0

2. Re: Power steering noise, leak, gaiter piston drivers wheel arch. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any thoughts guys.

0 0 0

3. Re: Power steering noise, leak, gaiter piston drivers wheel arch. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The clutch pulley is actually ur alternator pulley these do squeal when turning if its seized i pay £45 squid fitted if you take it off yourself and take it down the auto spark shop
    Ed

0 0 0

4. Re: Power steering noise, leak, gaiter piston drivers wheel arch. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats take the alternator off not the pulley cos u need special tools for that
    Ed

0 0 0