1. Reliability of 2.0TDi engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I'm a newbie. I thought I'd share my experiences of a 56 plate Passat 2.0TDI SE manual.

I bought the car new in September 2006 and generally like the car, but I've had to have two (yes TWO) new engines fitted.

The first replacement was in April 2007 at just under 9k miles due to a failed oil pump drive. The second was a few weeks ago after the car had covered just under 23k miles (i.e. the replacement engine lasted only 14k miles), this time due to a broken cam belt tensioner bolt.

In both instances my local VW garage did the work quickly and couteously under warranty, absolutely superb service. But ... I'm left wondering how long this (third!) engine will last. And the warranty expires in just over a year's time.

I've written to VW customer services to ask for an extended warranty for this engine but await a reply.

I've heard rumours on another general motoring forum about problems with the 2 litre diesel engine. Can the posters here shed any light on this issue?

0 0 0

2. Re: Reliability of 2.0TDi engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I'm new too and have a 2005 A4 2.0tdi of 75,000 miles where the oil pump drive has just disintegrated, broken sprocket, chain and tensioners with lots of detritus in the sump. It means a new engine and I wonder if it is a common failing.

0 0 0

3. Re: Reliability of 2.0TDi engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Is that 140 or 170bhp?
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

4. Re: Reliability of 2.0TDi engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine is a 140PS.

That's terrible news about your engine failure. My comiserations.

The dealer admitted that the oil pump failure is a known problem (the cam belt tensioner was 'just bad luck', apprently!), so if your car is out of warranty you may have a case for a goodwill contribution from VAG. I assume you are of warranty due to mileage.

Obviously both my engine replacements were done under warranty, but I'd guess the supply and fit of a new factory engine would be in the region of £5-6k. A reconditioned or seconhand (from a write off) would be cheaper ....

Let us know how you get on.

Pat

0 0 0

5. Re: Reliability of 2.0TDi engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The engine was a 140, less than 4 years old and with about 75k on the clock.
    The dealer has replied and informed me that if a component failure caused the problemAudi would contribute towards the repair. At least they responded quickly and didn't tell me to go away. I'll get the car up to the dealer but I can't decide whether to ask for an independent assessment or not. My problem is I'm too tryusting

0 0 0

6. Re: Reliability of 2.0TDi engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Robin - I hope you get this sorted quickly and you get a goodwill gesture from Audi.

As it happens, both my engine failures occurred on a Monday and the VW dealers (Listers Evesham) sourced and fitted a new factory engine ready for me to drive away on the Friday. Pretty impressive imo. And the two replacement engines were stamped with the same number as the original!

If you have a new engine fitted you won't need to worry about cam belt/tensioner replacement for a long while .
    2006 '56' 2.0TDi SE saloon, Deep Black Pearl, heated black leather, front fogs

0 0 0

7. Re: Reliability of 2.0TDi engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, The car was delivered to Chester Audi for investigation Monday pm and the dealer seem to have been pretty reasonable so far but I'm still waiting.

0 0 0

8. Re: Reliability of 2.0TDi engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know a lovely chap just over the bridge in Bristol who has a fantastic reputation for working on anything,especially Diesel Audis and VWs.
    He did tell me that the 1.9 engine in the above were somewhat bullet proof and extremely easy to work on,but he has a hell of a lot of 2.0 tdi VW and Audi cars in with engine problems on a regular basis.
    Take that with a pinch of salt, but I did buy a 1.9.

0 0 0

9. Re: Reliability of 2.0TDi engine? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pieguts View Post
    He did tell me that the 1.9 engine in the above were somewhat bullet proof and extremely easy to work on
    Mines is a 1.9 as well, for the only reason that I couldn't get insured on a 2.0TDi 140 as I was only 17 when I got the car (19 now though )!! But I do know what you mean about the 1.9. It's been around since 1993 so it's well proven. Shame its been killed off though throughout the VAG range
    2006 B6 Passat 1.9TDi 105 | 35k | Deep Black Pearlescent | 18" OZ Superturismo Rims | Chrome Grill | 35% Tinted Rear Windows | Boot Lip Spoiler | Debadged

0 0 0