Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys.

I own a passat 1.9tdi 130se and last week my clutch went and died on me. Popped down to an independant garage and got the guy to fit a new one and all was great except the engine management light was on. Told the mechanic and he said not to worry it'll turn itself off after a few miles.

Well I use the car as a taxi and that night did around 100 miles and it was still on. Ran the car the following day too for about 200 miles and still not off. I also noticed that on the motorway the car had no turbo. It was quite nippy in 1-3 gear but 4&5 were powerless. Going uphill was also a slog. I just thought that the clutch had to be run in. The most I can get out of the car is slightly over 70mph with the foot floored.

On the third day I decided to go in and see him and find out whats wrong and get him to reset the engine management light.

He took the car for a drive and told me what i already knew, my turbo wasn't kicking in. He hooked the car up to his wee comp to reset the light and couldn't. He got an error code but said he didn't have the codes at hand to tell me what the problem was but if i popped in the following day then he would check it out at home and let me know. He also said that I could have had the problem before the clutch went and never noticed but that's bull cos if i let the revs build gently I could achieve over 80mph

I think the code was p1857 but might have been 1587.

I have also noticed a slight water leak at the left front wheel arch.

What I'd like to know is:

1. Could he have caused the problem while fixing my clutch.
    2. Could I have caused the problem by driving the car with a slipping clutch for a few days before it finally gave up.
    3. Is this a reasonably simple problem to fix for myself being a novice at car repair.

0 0 0

2. Re: Code - P1857 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: Code - P1857 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate but it's still as clear as mud to me.

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to cars. Thats one of the reasons I came on here, to get impartial advice before i go back to the garage. I'd like to kow if he caused the fault and if not what work would be required so I know I'm not getting ripped off.

0 0 0

4. Re: Code - P1857 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    He could have caused the problem if he is ham fisted there are all sorts of wires and looms just waiting to caught by a gearbox being removed ive searched ur fault code but its coming up invalid you must have read it wrong check all the wiring at the back of the engine from underneath with the cover removed u may find the prob there
    Ed

0 0 0

5. Re: Code - P1857 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fault code isn't wrong, it's in my post above.

It merely indicates that the warning light (MIL) is on. The true problem is stored in the ECU.

stoned - my advice would be to have someone read your car for faults - where are you located?

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0