Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hellow again,

Just wondered, is the ESP on as standard, or do you have to press the button to activate it. The reason I ask is, when Im putting my foot down on b roads to get to my workplace (bending corners, dodgy straights, but no speed cameras ), when its wet on a corner the ESP usually comes on (its great that it works as I know I'd probably spun off a couple of times) but I would have imagined that it should only be active if I had pressed the button on my dash.

Cheers
    0 0 0

2. Re: ESP on or off? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As I understand it mate, the ESP remains on until you turn it OFF by pressing the button. It should light up when the system is operating to prevent car/hedge interaction, then go off again.

If you wanted to go crazy and turn it off, I think you press and hold the button till it lights up, or the symbol illuminates on the dash.

Hope this helps!
    James
    Last edited by SEMKY; 21-07-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: blonde moment
    0 0 0

3. Re: ESP on or off? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From startup, the ESP is on. (even though the light isn't lit.)

If the need arises, and the ESP "kicks in" then you will see the dash light blinking (not that you should be looking at the dash at this point!)

If you want to turn the ESP off, press and hold the button until the light comes on.

HTH
    1.9 tdi PD 100 Bora
    110cc pitbike, 4 speed semi-auto
    110cc Off road buggy, 4 speed semi-auto
    0 0 0

4. Re: ESP on or off? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Thanks Boys,

Might give it a blast later on, depends if I'm upto it. Bora(ing) what you say is EXACTLY what happens (you're right I should be looking on the road when ESP kicks in).

What happens if I press(normally not holding it down) the ESP button, the light goes on - i presume the ESP is definately on at this stage?

Cheers
    0 0 0

5. Re: ESP on or off? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jalz View Post
    Hey Thanks Boys,

Might give it a blast later on, depends if I'm upto it. Bora(ing) what you say is EXACTLY what happens (you're right I should be looking on the road when ESP kicks in).

What happens if I press(normally not holding it down) the ESP button, the light goes on - i presume the ESP is definately on at this stage?

Cheers
    If the light on the dash is on... ESP is OFF, and vice versa...

If it's on and "working" it blinks
    1.9 tdi PD 100 Bora
    110cc pitbike, 4 speed semi-auto
    110cc Off road buggy, 4 speed semi-auto
    0 0 0

6. Re: ESP on or off? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The ESP system is always ON, just like your ABS is always active. When you press the switch it is turned OFF.

The warning light flashes when the system is activated. ie when driving with some spirit.

on my 2007 A3 the dot matrix display says ESP system ON or OFF each time the switch is pressed.

Hope that helps.
    2007 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro - Sold
    0 0 0

7. Re: ESP on or off? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    When you turn them off are they really off?
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though
    0 0 0

8. Re: ESP on or off? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
    When you turn them off are they really off?
    Depends on the manufacturer. My contacts who work in vehicle development tell me some manufactures allow the ESP to be totally disabled, others just have wider limits when its "off".

In some Volvo's you need to press the swich five times to disengage the system, this is to make sure its not accidently turned off!
    2007 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro - Sold
    0 0 0

9. Re: ESP on or off? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermk View Post
    Depends on the manufacturer. My contacts who work in vehicle development tell me some manufactures allow the ESP to be totally disabled, others just have wider limits when its "off".

In some Volvo's you need to press the swich five times to disengage the system, this is to make sure its not accidently turned off!
    VW Passat B5.5 2003
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though
    0 0 0

10. Re: ESP on or off? 
    bigshuguk Guest
    ESP good, it was one of the reasons I went back to Audi from the Mazda 6 I had. Come off a round about in the wet and put your foot down and you run a good risk of disappearing in to a hedge! (on the other side of the road)

Not so bad with the Audi and it's reassuring flashing ESP light!
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast