Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

Having looked at the Superb (weak structure!!!), the Passat, the A4 and the A6, as they are all similar platforms one would expect the A6 to be as good, if not better as the rest. Especially considering it was the premium one of the lot.

What I find is:

Audi A4 (post 1998) front 12, side 16, pole 2, total 30 points
    Passat B5.5, Front 12, side 16 - pole not tested, total 28 points
    Superb, front 9, side 15, pole 2 - unstable structure - total 26 points
    Audi A6 C5, front 9, side 14, pole not tested - total 23 points!!!!!!

As the side impact protection seems to be the same in all, or there abouts, let me copy the details of the best (passat) and worst (A6) front crash results to compare:

Passat B5.5:
    The driver’s head almost rolled off the airbag and then hit the waist rail of the door as it rebounded. Although the car lost no points for this, it did because his chest hit the steering wheel. Otherwise the restraint systems protected well. Hard points behind the facia threatened the driver’s knees and upper legs, however. The centre rear lap belt offered less protection than a three-point belt, which was optional – Euro NCAP believes it should be standard.

Audi A6 1998:
    The bodyshell remained stable during the impact but the driver's chest suffered relatively high loading from his seat belt and airbag, suggesting he might sustain injury. The lower facia contained hard structures which could cause local damage to his knees and increased the risk to his upper legs and pelvis. And, although the steering column was covered by an energy absorbing pad over the column angle adjuster bracket, it did not offer sufficient protection to prevent the risk of load concentrations on the knee, and the steering wheel lock was not covered by this pad. Finally, the break-away pedals fitted to this car much reduced the risk of feet and ankle injuries.

I'm highly interested in an extremely safe car, for a variety of reasons. So, do we believe the above results? Should I be concerned?

Also I would really like to know if the A6 was beefed up circa 2001, the Passat was for the b5.5 or so the results would indicate, the earlier model got worse results. Did Audi put some more metal in the A6? Why would such a premium car be so poor?

I also noted that the 1997 passat (whcih scored 8 in front impact!) had a visably buckled shell on impact, bit like the superb's looked. The B5.5's shell didn't buckle over the roof in the image - so the difference isn't down to stickers and airbags or a 3 point rear seatbelt, they did do something to the structure of the car it's plain to see in the video's. I'm surprised the Superb looks so bad, it looks about to kink in the middle!

Comments please!
    Greg.
    0 0 0

2. Re: A6 C5 poor crash results - Euro NCAP discussion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just found this USA crash test, it gives it 3 out of 4, main concern being leg damage from the structure intruding.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=129

It also seems to indicate from 2000 more airbag options, some of which went standard in 2001
    0 0 0

3. Re: A6 C5 poor crash results - Euro NCAP discussion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So... no one with any comments or knowledge on the shell construction on the C5 vs B5.5?
    0 0 0

4. Re: A6 C5 poor crash results - Euro NCAP discussion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    A bit left of field even for me to get excited about.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 C5 poor crash results - Euro NCAP discussion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Maybe the cars had different engines and this changed the crumple dynamics.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI
    0 0 0

6. Re: A6 C5 poor crash results - Euro NCAP discussion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Haha !
    2016 VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI Highline SWB
    2011 Jaguar XFR 100 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    0 0 0

7. Re: A6 C5 poor crash results - Euro NCAP discussion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you looked at your screen name recently?

Yes I know, it's not an exciting topic. But if you were in a very slow roll once and the roof of your car came down level with the bonnet on the passenger side, nearly breaking the neck of your best mate, you just may find the structure of your car interesting.

Most people find these things boring, till someone close to them is in a coffin. My wife's friend died in a car accident and it kind of wakes you up to the fact that you are essentially being fired out of a cannon, the only difference being the metal of the car round you.

I just like information as well, I like to be informed. It niggles me why the same platform has such different results. And it really worries me watching the Superb kink across the middle in a 40mph impact into a soft, deformable barrier.....

Engines? Maybe, but I can't really see it. The impact they would give to the crash is carried forward and the heavier they are they carry more kenitic energy, so essentially they would impact the barrier more but I can't see it making a lot of difference to how the car shell is impacted.

Greg.

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 C5 poor crash results - Euro NCAP discussion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    I will post the picture of the Ford Explorer on its side after a three times barrel roll later. To be honest, I was more concerned about the 16 stone German sitting next to me (I was in the back) who wasn’t wearing his seat belt, so each time we went over I got crushed!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 C5 poor crash results - Euro NCAP discussion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I will post the picture of the Ford Explorer on its side after a three times barrel roll later. To be honest, I was more concerned about the 16 stone German sitting next to me (I was in the back) who wasn’t wearing his seat belt, so each time we went over I got crushed!
    Ouch
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though
    0 0 0

10. Re: A6 C5 poor crash results - Euro NCAP discussion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg123 View Post
    Have you looked at your screen name recently?

Yes I know, it's not an exciting topic. But if you were in a very slow roll once and the roof of your car came down level with the bonnet on the passenger side, nearly breaking the neck of your best mate, you just may find the structure of your car interesting.

Most people find these things boring, till someone close to them is in a coffin. My wife's friend died in a car accident and it kind of wakes you up to the fact that you are essentially being fired out of a cannon, the only difference being the metal of the car round you.

I just like information as well, I like to be informed. It niggles me why the same platform has such different results. And it really worries me watching the Superb kink across the middle in a 40mph impact into a soft, deformable barrier.....

Engines? Maybe, but I can't really see it. The impact they would give to the crash is carried forward and the heavier they are they carry more kenitic energy, so essentially they would impact the barrier more but I can't see it making a lot of difference to how the car shell is impacted.

Greg.
    Generally, I'm sure the Passat and the A6 is a safe car.

Did anybody see the crash tests on Top Gear a couple of years ago ? When the Range Rover's pedals ended up half way up where your shin would have been ?

At least the A6 has collapsible pedals to avoid this...

Paul
    2016 VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI Highline SWB
    2011 Jaguar XFR 100 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast