Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and finally... http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c.../biodiesel.pdf

It's not very clear but this is what I understand from it.

A diesel golf (mk iv) from 1998-2004 can use 100% RME biodiesel that conforms to EN 14214.. so that would include PD engines.

The golf mk v (2004 onwards), however, varies. The PD engines will NOT accept biodiesel but some of the diesel engines... with code 2G0 on the data sticker will be fine... I'm assuming that the only other non PD engine in that range would be the SDI.
    2001 Bora TDi PD 115 (AJM)
    0 0 0

2. Re: bio diesel or whatever it was 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    bio is not approved and no warranty claims can be made in the uk for bio related issues.Or so im told
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs
    0 0 0

3. Re: bio diesel or whatever it was 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I ran commercial and home made B100 in my 1996 Passat TDI's in the US 5 yrs ago. They loved it and ran smoother and quieter than they ever did on dino diesel.

Wouldn't dream of trying it in the PD Touran though.
    0 0 0

4. Re: bio diesel or whatever it was 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    nor would i after seeing the state of the fuel system
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs
    0 0 0

5. Re: bio diesel or whatever it was 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2002 b6 a4 130tdi and the owners manual says it can use biodiesel
    0 0 0

6. Re: bio diesel or whatever it was 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A number of Volkswagen group PDs either came with or had the option of a biodiesel sensor that could detect the ratio of biodiesel / diesel and alter the engine control parameters to suit the burn characrteristics of the fuel (or blend of fuels) and stay within the emissions requirements.

see http://www.ufop.de/2051.php

There are also a number of companies in Germany that modify PDs so that they can run on pure rapeseed oil. These modifications include 'chipping' the ECU to alter the control to suit the combustion characteristics of rapeseed oil. In Germany there is a fuel standard for pure rapeseed oil fuel.

The trouble is that all types of rubbish gets sold as 'biodiesel'. Anyone could set up a company getting old chip fat, filtering it, maybe adding a bit of solvent and selling it to people with commonrail engines saying it will run fine - it won't for long......

With the rising price of fuel we will see more of this with people looking to save a few quid and people seeing an oppertunity for a quick buck.

The Today program the other evening with Quentin Wilson was an example of this problem and terrible journalism - no doubt we will see plenty more clogged up and/or damaged fuel systems.

Its like hearing that your car can run on diesel and then going and putting filtered crude oil straight from the North Sea in your tank before its been through a refinery - because they are basically the same thing???? Or pouring a bit of solvent in with your crude oil and expecting everything to be fine???

If your going to run biofuels do your research first and very carefully check out your fuel supply before you start to stick it in your tank.
    0 0 0

7. Re: bio diesel or whatever it was 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenUK;
    If your going to run biofuels do your research first and very carefully check out your fuel supply before you start to stick it in your tank.
    Can't argue with that advice
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though
    0 0 0

8. Re: bio diesel or whatever it was 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can I just add my ha'porth here.

I have an 02 Passat pd tdi 130 sport and have been running it on properly converted WVO biodiesel at 100% for about 20,000 miles with absolutely no problems.

1. In winter it takes half an extra turn to start
    2. I save about 15p per litre
    3. The exhaust smells a bit chippy
    4. If I drive the car really hard I'm about 3/4 mpg down compared to regular diesel
    5. I feel marginally less bad about the damage I am doing

In case anyone's interested I'm also running various PSA and Vauxhall vans (all with common rail engines), a current Nissan Navara, current Discovery and an old Citroen ZX. Nearly 150,000 miles done on the stuff - not one damaged fuel pump, clogged injector or any other problem relating to fuel.

So - just as you'd be dim to jump in without doing some research - don't condemn it without doing your research.

I get the fuel from a farmer just outside Oxford - EuroEcoEnergy they're called and I recommend him highly.

Cheers
    Jerry
    0 0 0

9. Re: bio diesel or whatever it was 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A work collegue run his Passat tdi on upto 50% new supermarket Rapeseed/Diesel mix for 2 years and no problems. That was a couple of years ago when Rapeseed oil was 40p litre cheaper than diesel. Narrowed price diff and potential risk probably now not worth the risk.
    0 0 0

10. Lightbulb Re: bio diesel or whatever it was 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi i would be very interested to know a bit more about how, if i can to get my MK5 105tdi 1.9 SE to run on bio by adding the vw sensors and having the engine re-mapped/modified, (ref darrenuk) without going to the extremes of a second tank, pump fuel lines etc etc..
    I have a local supplier of EN14214 B100 biofuel (southwest biodiesel). i contacted my local dub dealer and his instant and i guess stock reply was 'no'. i guess that was to cover themselves for the varying range of veg oil, biodiesel and home brew available to us! our german friends are clearly well ahead of us in terms of biofuels and biofuels infastructure, so im a little supprised that my car cant run on the stuff from scratch.. i dont have any interest in making the oil for myself, but would be interested in finding out if the minor mods to run on unused/virgin food grade oil is also viable for my car. any info will be appreciated, thanks.
    interesting thread.
    semi grumpy
    MK5 golf tdi 105 owner.
    0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast