Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Help please, I have ordered a TDI Eos for March,
    Today I have been told by the dealer that it is not possible yet, to have a towbar fitted.
    We were hoping to tow our caravan around France & Spain for two months in the spring. Can anybody help please. Steve

0 0 0

Exmouth, Devon, UK. Drives Bonkers Fabia Diesel. Has full VCDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought the EOS was a sports car / coupe thing? Do you really reckon it's capable of towing a caravan, even with the TDI engine?

See if Witter do a towbar that might be adaptable?
    Jason - Rather mad Skoda Fabia driver.... Odd whiff of diesel coming from him.
    260bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvjJjL7Z50
    315bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run (2013)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOE4nbT5NGY

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tell your dealer he is talking rubbish. My eos handbook has several pages relating to towing. If you have the dealer fit towbar the vehicle even has a trailer stability programe biult in which works through the ESP. You must have a detachable towbar or you roof will not work.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve3 View Post
    Help please, I have ordered a TDI Eos for March,
    Today I have been told by the dealer that it is not possible yet, to have a towbar fitted.
    We were hoping to tow our caravan around France & Spain for two months in the spring. Can anybody help please. Steve
    please let us know how you get on with the tow bar. I am still 'umming and arring' over an eos but I need a detachable tow bar for my boat. Got a qote from Towequipe in nuneaton for £329 (single electrics) I think the VW bar is a lot more expensive fitted but may be safer from the point of view of warranties etc. Cheers,

0 0 0

5. Tow bar update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VW customer service are saying the following,
    A towbar is avaliable but you may have to buy another bumper with a slotted flap, and yes there is a part number for it. The flap is to allow the removable tow bar to fit correctly.
    The big problem is that VW have not decided yet on the wiring conections to allow all the various electrical bits to work.
    When manufacturers bring out a new model, a towbar and electrics are usually agreed straight away.
    When I ordered my Eos in November, my dealer did not know that there was a problem, we both only found out last week.
    VW have promised to try to give me some sort of time scale this week.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats seems very odd they normally remove the bumper and cut a slot in it.
    When I first asked a dealer about a tow bar on the eos he looked at me like I was an idiot and swore it was not possible to fit one. 'but its in the options' I said, 'must be a mistake' says he. What a nerve. Another dealer told me they would virtually have to dismantle the car to put the wiring in for the tow bar.
    One can but despair!
    Good luck!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sounds rubish to me.....

the fact is.... if you go for a after market TB and for example a witter.. all they do is locate the wires for the rears clusters and tap into them... in turn sending a signal to the "light" socket on the tow bar to enable all related tail lights on your car and then take a permanant live from before a reraly for the electric socket if required... ie.. a caravan with a fridge etc...

Merc a few years back said no tow bar was possible for a SLK.. Witter did a down round and up tow bar around the bumper... give your local towbar fitter a call and they will be able to sort something out im sure..

The Eos will tow as good as a golf i bet.. the quote from "devonutopia" "Do you really reckon it's capable of towing a caravan, even with the TDI engine?"

answer... Yes it is.... depending on weight ratio bewteen car and caravan.... as your a caravaner you will know the score... from a early age my parents had a caravan and we have been every where... following this i know loads of stuff i didnt even knew i know..

Matching a car to a caravan may look daunting, but follow these few simple guidelines and you'll have that match made in heaven.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, weight is a big factor in making a successful match between car and caravan. Yes, the towcar's power and torque are important, but here we will concentrate on weight.
    First off, you could be forgiven for being confused. For example, it's not uncommon for car manufacturers to set different towing limits for the same car, based on gradients: 1900kgs on hills up to 8 per cent (1 - in - 12) and 1700kg for gradients up to 12 per cent (1-in-8). Different figures are quoted for manual and automatic transmissions.
    Another important factor is a car's designated gross train weight (GTW) - the combined laden weight of the outfit. Disregarding the towing limit would result in an invalidated warranty on a new car, but exceeding the caravan's maximum laden weight or the outfit's GTW may result in prosecution. Both could also compromise your insurance so check the weight in your car handbook.
    The best outfit would be the heaviest, most powerful car towing the lightest caravan; the reverse would create the worst. The aim is to achieve the best power-to-weight ratio so you can get the most pleasure from your caravan and maximum economy from your car.

Pressures on car makers have resulted in cars becoming lighter. This chipping away at towcar weight has put pressure on outfit matching. Traditionally, the method of matching a car to a caravan has been to compare the car's kerbweight and the caravan's maximum gross weight. The latter has now been redefined as the maximum technically permissible laden mass (MTPLM) by EC law. The load margin is now split up into three areas: Essential Habitation Equipment Payload, Personal Effects Payload and Optional Equipment Payload.
    The 85% guideline is generally recommended for beginners. This industry recommendation restricts the laden weight of the caravan to 85% of the towcar's kerbweight. For the more experienced tower the industry recommendation is that the laden weight of the caravan does not exceed 100% of the car's kerbweight. This is not the law but it is good advice. Outfits in which the caravan outweighs the car are definitely not recommended.
    These guidelines to outfit matching are based on the caravan having its own overrun braking system, working in tandem with the towcar's brakes. It's taken for granted now but, if you're buying secondhand, check that the van is "braked". The weight limit for towing an unbraked trailer is 750kg fully laden, or 50 per cent of the towcar's kerbweight - whichever is less. Manufacturers' limits may also apply.

Cheers

RickT

0 0 0

8. All most final Towbar update. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all of your comments to my problem Re Towbar.

VW phoned me today to tell me that by the end of March all parts needed for fitting the Eos towbar, will be available as offical parts.

On the strength of that, I shall collect my new Eos on !st of March as planned. I hope thats the end of the sarga.
    Cheers Steve3

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wondered if you ever did get a price out of them for the tow bar, electrics and fitting, or was it all mixed in with the price of the car? Cheers.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Davidp, sorry for delay I have been away,
    Towequipe were the best price, £345.00 fitted complete. BUT that
    did not include the VW part that covers the space, when you remove the towbar.
    As I stated VW have promised to post all info required on their accessories website during March.
    I shall collect my new TDI Eos on 1st March and have the towbar fitted when all becomes clear. HOPEFULLY.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast