1. VW Golf Mk4 1.4 What to do?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, ive had a 1.4 Mk4 golf since february and think its great compared to my last car .
    Everyone says dont do anything to a 1.4 theres no point but it looks so dull, ive already got all new moulding and will be spraying them body colour along with a 4Motion rear valance and a anniversary front valance. A Milltek exhaust is on its way with a couple of other minor bits but i dont know what alloys to get . I really like the R32 wheels and the anniversary wheels, but wouldnt mind something different.
    I dont want to make my car look like a boy racer car i want to improve it, i know that its a 1.4 and doesnt perform anywere near to other bigger engine golf but there must be something i can do. Please can someone give me some advise and not just say get a GTi or something, i cant afford the insurance. Many thanks, Stuart.
    Last edited by sweepup03; 26-06-2008 at 10:47 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Golf Mk4 1.4 What to do?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey man, I noticed no one replied...

I might be able to offer some advice, peeps do usually go for Anni BBS wheel or the R32 wheel have you seen the Alloys from a Seat leon Cupra R, they look stunning on a golf... there is a pic on here.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seat-Leon-FR-C...ayphotohosting

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...seat_leon.html

Or BBS CH's here.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127516

They all look awesome in 18"s

With a 1.4 all the upgrades are going to be cosmetic unfortunately, as the engine is non-turbo and uprate gains are going to be minimal.

Uprating would get you 3 BHP if that, you'd be lucky to get that fro a 2.0 GTI.

You should definately lower it, if you intend in sticking with that model and you wanna put 18" alloys on it I would say get an adjustable coilover kit £299 or if that is a bit exspensive then go for lowering springs around £120 from fleabay. Without lowering it it will look like a tractor/pram, the rise height will be massive...

Performance wise you got the small gains from the exhaust, you should defo get an induction kit, take out the airbox and get one of these
    http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-9751TS

A K&N ari filter, will give you a few extra BHP, but will make the engine note sound better when idling and under acceleration.

You should check out www.ukmkivs.net best site for Mk4 owners...

Hope all that helps, if you need any other help let me know.

G

0 0 0

3. Re: VW Golf Mk4 1.4 What to do?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I too have a red 1.4 golf since buying it i'm amazed how many red golfs that look similar to mine are on the streets, I even almost got into the wrong motor at tesco's one day.

Anyhow that isn't why I'm replying, I too would like to give my little golf a new set of rims & shoes but haven't a clue on what to get. the R32 look so nice its untrue, but ppl tell me i can also use audi wheels is this correct? if so what other cars can be used? A mate gave me some off his scrapped mk3 golf but then i found they dont have enough studs dah!

Can anyone help?

0 0 0

4. Re: VW Golf Mk4 1.4 What to do?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piperman View Post
    I too would like to give my little golf a new set of rims & shoes but haven't a clue on what to get. the R32 look so nice its untrue, but ppl tell me i can also use audi wheels is this correct? if so what other cars can be used?
    You probably want 16" or 17" or 18" diameter alloys. Many people put 19" wheels on but the extra wheel width that this usually brings can cause problems with the arches. Personally I wouldn't go larger than 17" on a 1.4 because it's underpowered enough to begin with, so I'd say go with the lightest weight wheels that you still like the look of (and I'm saying that as someone who drove a 1.4 for two and a half years and loved it, not someone dissing the 1.4 for the sake of it).

Big heavy wheels will slow your car down, decrease your MPG, and there have been reports/rumours of the gearbox on the 1.4 struggling to cope. Larger wheels do improve the looks and handling though. Bear in mind that larger diameter wheels do mean lower profile tyres though, which also improves handling but means you feel more of the bumps in the road.

Make sure you get the correct tyre size for the wheels so that you keep the same overall rolling circumference. eg 205/55/16, 225/45/17 etc - ask/research if you're not sure. Apologies if you know all this already.

Wheels to fit your car should be:
    18" or smaller in diameter.
    5-stud @ Pitch Circle Diameter 100mm = 5stud PCD100 = 5x100.
    Offset around ET38

On your mkiv you should be able to fit any VW / Audi / Seat / Skoda wheels that fit the above criteria. You can use slightly lower or higher offsets but you should check with someone more knowledgeable if you're doing anything too far from standard. A higher offset means that the wheel sits further inside the arch toward to the hub. A lower offset means that the centre of the wheel will sit further away from the hub, giving you a wider stance. For example many people fit Audi wheels of around ET32, meaning the wheels sit slightly further out in the arch than a standard Golf alloy of the same width.

Take a look at the galleries of 5x100 wheels on here to give you a start:
    http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_t...s_overview.htm

HTH

0 0 0

5. Re: VW Golf Mk4 1.4 What to do?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for that.

0 0 0

6. Re: VW Golf Mk4 1.4 What to do?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any1 mind shedding some light here please mk4 1.4
    16891 - Idle Control System RPM
    P0507 - 35-10 - Higher than Expected. - Intermittent
    17733 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 1
    P1325 - 35-10 - Regulation Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    17736 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 4
    P1328 - 35-10 - Regulation Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    17734 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 2
    P1326 - 35-10 - Regulation Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61)
    P0328 - 35-10 - Signal too High - Intermittent
    17735 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 3
    P1327 - 35-10 - Regulation Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0001

0 0 0

7. Re: VW Golf Mk4 1.4 What to do?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I'd say your knock sensor is ******.
    When replacing use a torque wrench to tighten it up to the correct torque - this is VERY important. Too little and it won't work correctly, too much and they are very easily damaged!

0 0 0