1. Red face Job Done 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This thread is a follow on from one I posted a few days ago, regarding replacing a dual mass flywheel with a solid one, on my A4 Tdi. Well I took the advice and I have replaced it with a dual mass, the same as came out.
    Not too bigger job, with the use of a garage workshop. Parts £360.00 that included clutch, flywheel,bearing and slave cylinder.
    Is this now going to be the norm with dual mass flywheels. There was still plenty of wear left in the clutch plates I took out, but the flywheel was beginning to rattle like a barsteward. I think only a fool would retain the same clutch plates and not replace. It just seems that we have gone from clutch replacement, that was relatively cheap, to having to replace the flywheel that are not, and the clutch, just because dual mass flywheels cannot cope with the BHP of the vehicle. Or am I missing something here?

0 0 0

2. Re: Job Done 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The reason why the dual mass flywheel go on PD engines is because the vibration cancelling springs are imersed in grease inside the flywheell and they overheat due to riding the clutch or drag racing, or even when driving slow on the motorway, with the engine idling into highest gear. The flywhell is compressing the springs at maximum then it wont spring back the same amount wich will mean unwanted vibrations. A faulty DMF will soon take the clutch out and will put massive strain on the big end bearings. Many garages replace clutches on these engines and wont check the flywheell for distortion , then soon find they should have replaced everything when the customer cames back with the same clutch judder as in first place !

0 0 0

3. Re: Job Done 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, but it is the flywheel that breaks down and not the clutch. The flywheel, has built in movement to absorb the take up between the engine and the rest of the drive train. It is when that built in movement extends beyond what it should, that the problem starts. Dual mass flywheels are the things that have become a problem and start to rattle not the clutch.

0 0 0

4. Re: Job Done 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats what i have said...is the DMF who takes out the clutch in the end but, is riding the clutch and the heat generated the reason they dont last. On single mass flywheels set-ups, the springs are on the clutch discs and they are much more stronger. On dual mass set-up, the springs are immersed in grease inside the flywhell and there are no damping springs on the clutch disc...The heat generated from slipping/riding the clutch boils them and they loose elasticity, wich-in turn- disturbs the fine tunned balance between the weights thus accelerating wear and tear on the clutch. As stated before, the DMF was a refinement improvement compared to a standard setup, because pd engines will rattle your teeths out without active mounts and DMF + clutch ! Anyway, i am glad you choose to fit the real thing and not the single mass conversion kit !

0 0 0

5. Re: Job Done 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that and also for taking the time and trouble to explain it all.
    Regards
    Stonewall

0 0 0