1. Question Cam belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have been advised by my dealer that I should replace the cam belt on my VW Golf V5 2003 30,000 miles. Is he touting for business, or what?

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, Steve; as I remember it the book says 48 to 54K, but frankly I wouldn't leave it that long.
    It isn't the belt itself that I'd worry about, more the guides and tensioner that hold it all together; it only takes one of 'em to get a bit sloppy and you run the risk of the belt coming off, or grinding itself to dust on the covers.
    If most of your mileage is on long-haul stuff then you should be OK up to 45K, but I'd be inclined to do it as soon as you can, just to make sure that everything in the belt run is as it should be.
    Belt job = £60 - 70; head job + valves + valvegear = a ruddy fortune!
    JB.
    230 BHP 2.3T5 + 4WD = Quick!

0 0 0

3. cam belt 66000 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wotton View Post
    I have been advised by my dealer that I should replace the cam belt on my VW Golf V5 2003 30,000 miles. Is he touting for business, or what?
    The Cirencester dealer has charged me a total of £1144.23 for a service at 66000 miles on a golf 1.4. This included a cam belt change, due at 120000 miles (and 2 tyres). Sounds like the old profit margins need a boost to me.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eckersley View Post
    The Cirencester dealer has charged me a total of £1144.23 for a service at 66000 miles on a golf 1.4. This included a cam belt change, due at 120000 miles (and 2 tyres). Sounds like the old profit margins need a boost to me.
    how much? what did he do, replace every wear and tear item?? its only a 1.4! ok, 66k, lets see... major service, timing belt and tensioner, in the region of around 300/500 yes, but nearly £1200!? id ask to see what hes done for that price......

0 0 0

5. Dealer Pricing... Vastly different 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I posted something last night about the costs of cam belt changes, basically to point out the vast differences in prices even at main dealers.... and at an "independent"...

Get this...

VW Doncaster
    Cam belt change inc bits, labour and VAT = £278 (£350 if you want the water pump doing at the same time)

VW York
    Cam belt change inc bits, labour and VAT = £409 (was too scared to ask about adding the water pump to the job..!!!)

Independant (Leeds)
    Cam belt change inc bits (not VW bits), labour and VAT = £376, but this DID include the water pump.

Is a Cam belt change really such a big job..? I hear the "book" time for doing the job is 4 hours, but often hear people say it's an hour and a half job to a decent VW Technician.

Are there any VW Technicians out there that would like to comment (anonymously of course..!)

Come on, what's the real time on this job...?

Cheers
    Mark

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimped-Passat View Post
    I posted something last night about the costs of cam belt changes, basically to point out the vast differences in prices even at main dealers.... and at an "independent"...

Get this...

VW Doncaster
    Cam belt change inc bits, labour and VAT = £278 (£350 if you want the water pump doing at the same time)

VW York
    Cam belt change inc bits, labour and VAT = £409 (was too scared to ask about adding the water pump to the job..!!!)

Independant (Leeds)
    Cam belt change inc bits (not VW bits), labour and VAT = £376, but this DID include the water pump.

Is a Cam belt change really such a big job..? I hear the "book" time for doing the job is 4 hours, but often hear people say it's an hour and a half job to a decent VW Technician.

Are there any VW Technicians out there that would like to comment (anonymously of course..!)

Come on, what's the real time on this job...?

Cheers
    Mark

maybe skidmark could comment? he is apparently a vw main dealer techinician...?

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=7028

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Expensive. The cheapest Ferrari full service with cambelt change comes out at about £1000, which is expensive I know, but £1150 !!!
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Cirencester dealer has charged me a total of £1144.23 for a service at 66000 miles on a golf 1.4. This included a cam belt change, due at 120000 miles (and 2 tyres).
    Sounds high, ask for a more detailed breakdown....

If its sound, get the tyres from somewhere else for starters, as Vag will buy them dear-ish and then wack on their margin.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would say he is not so much touting for business as totally taking the Piddle. A V5 golf does not have a cam belt!!! It's chain driven!!!!

I used to have a V5 golf. I also used to work in a dealers in the service dept. Cam belts were a very hight profit job. I think they would charge roughtly 3.5 hours labour, maybe 4 hours. Some of the guys had it done in 3 hrs, some could do it in 2. There were a couple of bonus hungry guys that could have it done in 1 and a half hours! maybe less!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate

I wouldn't worry. Skymaster is right, if you've got a V5, you don't have a cam belt! It's a timing chain on the V5, so if someone is trying to tempt you into a job you don't need tell them where to get off!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast