Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Bearing and Steering Common Failures?

1. Bearing and Steering Common Failures? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Morning everybody. Does anybody know (or experienced) any common bearing or steering part failures or problems? What it is, is I believe I have two faults with my car. The first sounds like metal rubbing on metal like brake disks rubbing on calliper/housing but ive checked them out and they seem ok. It also sounds like bearing failure is about to happen but it’s pin-pointing which bearing. The problem is it’s not constant but seems to be related when down at lower speeds, especially when at a constant speed. Has anybody had a wheel bearing fail and had it make such a noise? Ive checked my wheels for play and movement and resistance to turning but they all seem ok.
    The other problem (which may be related) is steering problem. The car seems to be skipping from side to side like there is play in the steering wheel and when I let go of the wheel, it pulls to the left. I physically have to fight the car to keep it straight but its not exactly safe and makes me look like I’m drink driving sometimes when it really plays up. Again ive checked for CV join play in both wheels and resistance to rolling but body seem ok. With the power steering, are there any electrical sensors they determine pressure on the hydraulic valves or is it purely a mechanical device or are there any steering position sensors that could be playing up?

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions or questions, much appreciated. Just want to get it sorted before having to take it to the local dealer to have a look

Cheers

Mitch

0 0 0

2. Re: Bearing and Steering Common Failures? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right ive done a few more checks as best as I can and I’m now suspecting lower ball joint.
    Has anybody had one fail and if so what were the symptoms, is it renewable or is it permanently pressed into the wishbone and if it is replaceable, how much for a new joint?
    Cheers
    Mitch

0 0 0

3. Re: Bearing and Steering Common Failures? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It would help us to know what car, model year and engine you own to be able to give any advice....none here is able to read minds so far !

0 0 0

4. Re: Bearing and Steering Common Failures? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, need to update my profile.

Ive got a SEAT AROSA 1.4 TDi 2003

Cheers

0 0 0

5. Re: Bearing and Steering Common Failures? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

As for the noise, I had a drone noise on my Arosa which was difficult to diagnose, it was there sometimes and not others. None of the wheels had any play or obvious issues.

I changed the Passenger side front wheel bearing today and fixed the problem.

As for the car wandering - my nephew had a Daewoo Nurbia which had this problem, when I looked at it for him, the lower wishbones were shot. There is a rubber bush moulded into them at the rear which mounts it to the car and acts as a pivot, the rubber to metal had debonded, and there was a lot of play in the wishbone, which caused the wandering. - I changed these and the car drove as it should.

When doing the bearing today, I notice the Arosa has the same arangement as the Daewoo - so i would suggest you check this.

I am not sure how mechanically minded you are, but the wishbone is a realatively easy change, the bearing is a bit more difficult, as you need pullers and seporators and a press to do the change.

Regards

Simon

0 0 0

6. Re: Bearing and Steering Common Failures? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The people makes everything for their better and luxury in mordern age but not sure when ever and where it will put trouble themselve. when ever trouble comes you must repair it that is genuin.

0 0 0