1. I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    An oil tanker driver...£32,000 a year and theyre striking for more money.

0 0 0

2. Re: I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris954 View Post
    An oil tanker driver...£32,000 a year and theyre striking for more money.
    They want £36k !!

Certainly gives me leverage when pay rises come round.

Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch 2.0TDi 170 CR in Candy White
    Outgoing Car: 2007 56 Plate Audi A3 Sport Sportback 2.0TDi 170 PD in Black

0 0 0

3. Re: I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bloody hell ! im in the wrong job, where do i sign to get my £36k ??

0 0 0

4. Re: I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I want to be.....

under the sea in an english country garden, in the shade...

Monday morning, think of me as i drive my petrol tanker down the motorway, won't you.

When you see the news and they show tanker drivers outside Kingsbury, well thats where i work. I'm not on wages like they are tho, they turned down a 6.8% offer which would of given them £41,500 pa.

I'm just an LGV C+E (HGV class 1) licence away.

Any of the big boys will do for me, Shell, BP, Conoco, Total, Texaco, Tesco. Say good bye to weekends and bank holidays tho, there are only 2 days a year when wheels don't roll, Christmas day and new years day.

How much money would you want your employer to pay you to give up bank holidays, work nights and weekends? How would you like a rota where you worked 3 weekends in every 4.

Money for inconvenience. Worth every penny.

0 0 0

5. Re: I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    .....a lady of leisure !!
    Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch 2.0TDi 170 CR in Candy White
    Outgoing Car: 2007 56 Plate Audi A3 Sport Sportback 2.0TDi 170 PD in Black

0 0 0

6. Re: I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmk5gttdi View Post

How much money would you want your employer to pay you to give up bank holidays, work nights and weekends? How would you like a rota where you worked 3 weekends in every 4.

Money for inconvenience. Worth every penny.
    In my trade we have to do a 5 year apprenticeship,including one day a week at college for 13 hours then most firms work a continental shift pattern.that means working 6.am-2.pm/2.pm-10.pm or 10.pm till 6.am seven days a week,bank holidays and weekends included for between £8 and £10 an hour.so yes i would gladly give up my weekends,nights and bank holidays for £41500 a year.

0 0 0

7. Re: I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well after watching the news and seeing how much money these drivers want makes you think you may be in the wrong job...

But after knowing a tanker driver who had to move jobs due to the lifestyle i can see in a way where they are coming from but they only work 40 hours per week...

These guys work the hours when the roads are at the quietest most of the time to get as many drops in as possible but i dint think the wage increase is realist's to be honest...

How about comparing this..... Working as a tanker driver for 32k per year... or being in the British army fighting a so called war for 20k per year......

i think what the driver don't realize is that they are only going to get a pay rise short term, what happens most of the time is large pay raises and then a year or 2 later redundancy's ..... And then they will just get some "European" drivers in who will work for 25k per year..

Short term good..... long term they will be out of a job...

Rick

0 0 0

8. Re: I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm a 2/3 qualified architect. There are 3 stages to being fully qualified. I've done a 3 year degree (part 1), then the necessary year on the job training, then a 2 year post grad diploma (part 2) & have got three years post part 2 experience. I earn more than £10,000 less than they do!
    I'm studying towards the part 3 which is all the legal & contractual bumf. Even with part 3 I won't as much as them until I've got about 5 years fully qualified experience. After that I may just push the £40,000 mark if I'm lucky.
    I just enjoy art & design, always have done, so wanted to work in it some capacity.
    I could've saved years of slavish study & avoided 10's of £1000's of debt & still earned the same if I'd have done that instead!! My heart bleeds for them...
    Still, at least I got evenings & weekends.

"If a donkey bray at you, don't bray at him."

0 0 0

9. Re: I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickT View Post
    How about comparing this..... Working as a tanker driver for 32k per year... or being in the British army fighting a so called war for 20k per year......
    Puts it into perspective a bit doesn't it. You can't pull over for a break when someone's lobbing grenades at you!
    Mind you, the MOD pays accommodation/ bills etc. so that's £20,000 with very little outgoing so in real terms it's a lot 'keepable' pay.
    I don't think you pay someone enough for that though IMHO.

"If a donkey bray at you, don't bray at him."

0 0 0

10. Re: I want to be 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I think it's immoral that the tanker drivers are striking. They earn well over the UK average wage. Extra pay for inconvenient hours.....if they ain't happy with their lot then they should try a different line of work!!!

I imagine the real reason for their grumbles is because their houshold budgets have been squeezed because of the rampant inflation we are all having to suffer.

If the UK drops into recession they'll be thankful for £32k pa as the queues outsude the job centres lengthen.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast