Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    H all , Great Forum.

I have a 05 A3 TDI 140 hp / DSG which has now done 65K mileage. I bought the car from Cargiant only few months ago , but has been obsessed with the idea that the car is too slow - 9.4 secs 0-60m and I am thinking to sell/trade for another second hand 170 hp version.

In general , A3 at 65K is due to get rid of aint it ?

Questions:

1. What kind of A3 170 hp can I get for about 15k £ ? ( Good / Bad ? )

2. What kind of mileage should be my top ?

3. Should I be suspicious about the manual gear box with second-hand cars because of excessive gear changing in the UK ?

4. What should I do if I buy a car from AUTOTRADER , i.e take it to Audi for a check ? ?!

5. Is it worth it buying Approved Audi from Audi? ( They seemed expensive )
    0 0 0

2. Re: Replacing my A3 140 hp with a 170 hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi 2uk,

65k isn't much at all for a diesel. If you're happy with other aspects of the car it'd be worth looking at chipping it to get more power (see https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=37356). Cheaper than swapping cars.

1) There's one on audi's website at £16k - Sep 06 on 26k miles. Might get it for £15k. http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=501979171

2) Up to you. If you do mega miles you might want a low mileage one but these things are good for well over 100k miles. Key thing is whether car's been looked after.

3) No - I'd be more worried about autos. Just check clutch doesn't slip.

4) I'd get an independent inspection before buying for peace of mind. If its < 3yrs old you'll have the remainder of Audi's warranty to get some problems fixed.

5) They may have better condition stock and more choice and be better placed to give you a decent trade-in price (if yours is of an age/condition where they might put it on their forecourt) and you may feel happier about the car you're buying but you do pay a premium.
    Last edited by TFSIer; 30-05-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: adding link
    0 0 0

3. Re: Replacing my A3 140 hp with a 170 hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1. at £15k you are limited, the 170 is quite rare enough, but at that price, you'll probably end up with high mileage ones. Audi have their cheapest one at £15,995 for a mauritus blue Sportback Sport with 26,631 miles and on a sep 06 plate. Watford audi have a 2007 56 plate 3 door 170 for £14,995 with 21k and wolverhampton have a 2007 57 plate red 3 door for the same price but with 3.5k !!
    privately autocar only have a couple at that price - 2006 with 22k or a 2006 with 18k both are £15k

2. 22k is average for a May 2006 (not that I think they were out then) and obviously the car can handle many more miles than that and still feel new. Mine for example is a 2007 56 plate with 37k and still feels and looks new.

3.The S-Tronic will also be making the same changes - possibly more in certain modes. The gearbox in mine still feels fresh and changes are still crisp.

4. You can pay the RAC to give it their once over. I suggest getting one from Audi or a well known garage near you.

5. £15k from some bloke round the corner sounds not so good. From a garage would be better.

From Audi this would be even better, you don't have to pay the screen price either or they might be able to give you extras instead, like tax, servicing or mats etc etc.

The other option you have is to get a tidy 140bhp and get the ST3 re-mapping system from Chipped-UK (on this forum).

The resale values are not as high on the 140, but you are buying a maybe newer less mileage car.

I would try and get one from Audi, and try and get a 170, you'll love it a lot. and de-badged, you can't tell the difference between the 2.0 TFSI, 1.8 TFSI and 3.2 Quattro. It also produces no black smoke under acceleration due to the DPF.

For a trade in on your car look and value it at www.vauxhall.co.uk under 'owners' and Value my car. - it's the Glass's guide.

See here:
    https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?p=160648
    Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch 2.0TDi 170 CR in Candy White
    Outgoing Car: 2007 56 Plate Audi A3 Sport Sportback 2.0TDi 170 PD in Black
    0 0 0

4. Re: Replacing my A3 140 hp with a 170 hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted