1. Angry Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, just got into my 1996 Audi A4 Avant to find 2" of rain water on the passenger side floor pan (front and rear). I've had the car for about 6 months and this is the first sign of any leak. Does anyone know if this is a known problem with these cars? and if so, where do I look to find the leak? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Rob

0 0 0

2. Re: Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Do a search; it is a huge problem and the subject of a recall at Audi. It is due to the plenum chamber drains under the battery and servo becoming blocked. The plenum chamber fills up and the water pours in through the heater intake. It causes central locking problems on later cars with the control unit under the passengers carpet (not yours) but more alarmingly it also causes the servo to fill with water and corrode the internals which can lead to the nearside front brake sticking on and even total brake failure if it is cold enough for the water in the servo to freeze solid.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Do a search; it is a huge problem and the subject of a recall at Audi. It is due to the plenum chamber drains under the battery and servo becoming blocked. The plenum chamber fills up and the water pours in through the heater intake. It causes central locking problems on later cars with the control unit under the passengers carpet (not yours) but more alarmingly it also causes the servo to fill with water and corrode the internals which can lead to the nearside front brake sticking on and even total brake failure if it is cold enough for the water in the servo to freeze solid.

Wow, could end up being really serious then, thanks alot for your help, I'll get straight to work on it.

Regards

Rob

0 0 0

4. Re: Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well heavy rain today, i moved the car this afternoon and could hear water "sloshing" from below the windscreen area,
    dunno where it went tho ????

Stu

0 0 0

5. Re: Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Clear the drain tubes and that means removing the battery.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers, i'l have a lil looky when it stops raining :lol:

prob not til the weekend now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stu

0 0 0

7. Re: Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And while you're at it, remove the rubber grommets around the water drainage holes.

I recently had my B6 serviced and the dealer performed campaign maintenance on it at the same time. The campaign is 51B7 and it concerns all the B6 bodied A4s and involved removing the rubber grommets from the drainage holes.

0 0 0

8. Re: Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Not removing them permanently I hope, they are there for a reason. The Campaign only stipulates to poke them through.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if they removed them completely or just enlarged them, but it's still a campaign fix.

At least on the B5 they didn't seem to do anything else than protect the edges of the drainage hole.

0 0 0

10. Re: Swimming pool Audi A4! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    They are tubes with flap valves at the bottom. Their purpose is to prevent fumes from under the car being drawn into the heating system.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast