Notices

User Tag List

Thread: expert help required Rear suspension bang!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Early this morning as I was driving into my work car park at 10mph, there was a big bang and my car seemed to have had its rear end voilently slide to the right. I thought I had smashed my rear nearside into a wooden post. No damage evident, however I noticed that the rear n/s wheel had been displaced to the rear by approx 15mm, the toe pointing out and the camber with the top of wheel pointing inwards. This was with respect to the wheel on the other side.
    I played safe and got recovered home, and decided to dismantle the rear n/s wheel assembly, including the hub bearing unit, hoping that this item had failled. The unit looked as though there was nothing wrong with it. I then spent a couple of more hours with by brother in law looking for cracks in the rear trailing beam and rigid arm, no fault evident, The bushes although not dismantled, appeared perfect. this seems a wird story but had anyone come across this before.
    Thanks
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD
    0 0 0

2. Re: expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    What I have found so far is this. Nothing appears broken but the beam axle appears bent. I have had some success in straightening the tow in by using a hydraulic strong arm, but the camber is still well out. I will see hoe the car drives and will have another go trying to get the camber right.
    0 0 0

3. Re: expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This sounds like beam corrosion and is not repairable, a new/replacement beam is the solution. A jodge could/will fail and cause the car to make a sudden unpredictable change in direction. Try that at 70pmh. Regards Peter
    0 0 0

4. Re: expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Peter, have you come across this before, my car is a 2002 model. I was going to speak to the insurance company, because I assumed that I hit a sleeper or something which bent the beam. Can you confirm that this is a common problem. Thanks
    0 0 0

5. Re: expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No this is not a common problem and unless your vehicle was overloaded then a speed bump would have smashed the front suspension before the rear. Where is the twist. On a 2002 it must be very rare , is it heavily corroded ?. Regards Peter
    Last edited by Peter D; 25-05-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    0 0 0

6. Re: expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    No, its not heavily coroded, actually its hardly coroded any part of it. If one looks at the wheel face on], the face plate where the axle bearing sits on is, compared with the other side, approx 20mm more to the rear of the car, approx 5mm more towards the top of the wheel arch, and the rear of the face plate is approx 20mm in towards the centre line of the car and tye front of the face plate 15mm towards the centreline of the car.
    I have driven the car and the stering wheel is now approx 30 degrees to the left when the car is pointing straight. I am going to speak to my insurance company tomorrrow and see what they say, a rear beam is likely to cost loads of money.
    Regards
    0 0 0

7. Re: expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This will not be covered under insurance it is a maintenance issue surely. Are you sure the beam is twisted, this sounds like the pivot and bearing that hold the beam in place has collapsed thus the plate has moved up and back or the bolt has sheared. Do not drive this car if you brake hard you may rip the rear beam out from under the car. DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR. email me at
    info@3DAssociates.co.uk and I'll send you the drawing by return. I repeat DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR. Regards Peter
    0 0 0

8. Re: expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR Read the posts. Regards Peter
    0 0 0

9. Re: expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR Read the posts. Regards Peter
    0 0 0

10. Re: expert help required Rear suspension bang! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Thanks Peter. I will not be driving it. I only drove it 4 miles yesterday to see how it felt and hence I discovered the stering wheel was compensating of the poor geometry at the rear. Regarding the bolt and bush, I had already removed the bolt to check it and it was fine. I also used a pry bar to check the bush and there was no play, so I am convinced that teh bush and bolt is fine. I have a pit at home, so its very easy to check the beam axle. I think my wheel may have hit something which is why I was going to take the insurance option. Alternatively I found out that a new beam axle is £450, so not the end of the world if I have to replace it myself.
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast