1. fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi, i had a mechanic check over my 1999 2.5tdi and he said that the fuel pump that is in the boot needs replacing because it is loose and can not be tightened.
    does this sound right ? he could get hold of it and move it very easily.

0 0 0

2. Re: fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Fuel Pump in the Boot. Are you sure, the lift pump is in the tank and the HP pump is in the engine set up. Are you sure you are not referring to self levelling suspension pump which is sof mounted. Regards Peter

0 0 0

3. Re: fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The mechanic said it was a fuel pump, it has a black circular metal plate cover with 3 screws holding it in place and underneath is a black plastic screw on cap with what looks like a fuel pump in the middle going into the fuel tank.

I now know what it looks like because after a 10 minute drive tonight i noticed a dripping from the rear of the car, it was fuel !

I removed the black circular disc under the boot carpet to reveal that the garage had not secured the plastic screw on cap whatsoever and it was very loose so letting diesel spill out every where.

There was a rubber seal on the plastic cap but it was preventing the threads from meeting as it was misshaped and that is why the cap wouldn't screw back on, so i cut the rubber seal off and it screwed back together eventually.

Ive been for a 20 minute drive and investigated the leak and it has stopped thank god, diesel is pricey enough without throwing it away.

all of this will probably not make sense to people who haven't opened it before, but them who have can probably make some sense of it.

0 0 0

4. Re: fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So it was not in the boot. Yes there is a seal that you should replace asap before doing a full fill up. Your mechanic must have stotted the leak form the tank and investigation led to the loose insert. I am surprised he did not fix it for you. Regards Peter

0 0 0

5. Re: fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it is in the boot under the carpet. the diesel tank definately was not leaking before i took it to the mechanic, he changed my fuel filter so why he started to mess about with the in tank fuel pump i dont know.

0 0 0

6. Re: fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The pump is in the 'tank' not the boot. Access may be via the boot. It sounds as if the mechanic may have found dirt in the filter and decided to check the gauze filter in the tank and got something wrong. New seal should provide a better fix and lang as the mech has not damaged/cracked the black locking ring. Regards Peter

0 0 0

7. Re: fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the pump assembly is partially in the boot hence the proud cover plate, as is all the wiring.

0 0 0

8. Re: fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The pump is in the tank all the pipes feed forward and the wires pass into the boot. A cover plate with 3 srcrews seals the floor off, so what part of the pump assembley is in the boot. I am sat here with the Audi manual of your car so why argue. If you do not want the help why post at all. Regards Peter

0 0 0

9. Re: fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes but not of pedantic people, thanks.

0 0 0

10. Re: fuel pump replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just factual. Replace the seal and if necessary the locking ring. Regards Peter

0 0 0