1. Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Folks, has anyone expierenced this problem?
    I have a 2006 Passat S TDI. When I got into the car yesterday morning to go to work I noticed that the clock(time) had re- set itself to 0.00 and the on board computer was showing less miles left in the tank than should have been.I thought this was strange but re set the clock and drove to work thinking I must get VW to take a look at that.
    This morning I got into the car to go to the gym.I drove there no problem about 3 miles and switched the car off. I then noticed that all the dash lights had gone out faster than usual so I pushed the key in again to put the ignition on to close the window. No joy there was no electrical power at all, the car wouldn't start and I couldn't get the window up. Good thing it wasn't raining. after about 10 mins the dash lights came on again and the car has been fine since, except I have to keep setting the clock.
    I contacted the dealer to book the car in as it is still in warranty but they can't take it until 9/6/08. They didn't seem to know what was causing the fault and gave me a number for VW Assist in the event it happened again before they get it in. Has anyone heard of this before?

Damien

0 0 0

2. Re: Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't had that happen in the Passat (thank goodness) but I did have a similar problem with an older Saab I used to own. It went away when the battery was changed; it wasn't taking a charge any more.

After the fact, I put the occasional "total car reset" down to the battery being marginal on voltage and the internal electronics tripping out on the occasional undervolt.

No idea whether this is what's happening to you but I guess it's possible.
    Matthew Exley
    '08 Passat 2.0 TDI Estate.

0 0 0

3. Re: Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that matthewI'll get the battery checked tomorrow.

Damien

0 0 0

4. Re: Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Make sure the alternator is checked too. In days gone by if a battery went flat or was not charging, the car just would not start, however with all the computer gubbins on them these days, the symptoms are that much worse.

I reckon the battery is quite likely the cause. Good luck.
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though

0 0 0

5. Re: Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAMIENH View Post
    Has anyone heard of this before?
    Sounds a bit like a problem that some of us have had, but the difference is that it required the battery to be disconnected to 'reboot' the computer, and a subsequent softwared update to solve the problem.

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=35778
    06 Passat 2.0 TDi 140 SE Estate, Reflex Silver, 125,000 miles

0 0 0

6. Re: Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks, an update on this sorry saga.
    The car was booked in to the local dealer to have a diagnostics check completed on 9/6/08. They plugged her up and as expected no fault was found. They did say that the negative battery strap was loose so they tightned it and I should have no further occurance.
    The following Monday I was out in the car when I switched it off to lift a dead cat on the road. The car refused to start no matter what I did. The steering lock had been activated when I had taken the key out and the hand brake was on. By the way the drivers side front window was down as it ws a beautiful night. Asolutley no power at all.
    I rang the dealer hoping against hope that the phone would answer.It was answered bt the service manager who remembered the car from the pervious week.She sent a tow truck out to lift the car. It had to be dragged up on to the bed with the back wheels locked and the steering locked. It was delivered to the dealer the next day with a sheet of plastic covering the open window.
    The car was left outside in all weathers for two weeks despite repeated requests from me to take it in as the window could't be secured. When they finally gave in and gave me a courtsey car three days after mine was taken away I was able to get back on the road. The car has to get the following parts ignition control unit, steering lock control unit, internal power supply unit and a new fuel pump.
    They finally took the car into the workshop on Mon 30/6/08 after it had been vandalised in their yard,bonnet keyed, They didn't even ring me to tell me about the vandalism.
    The latest news today is that the steering lock control unit will come tomorrow when they finally hope to get the car started and they will then take it to the body shop to have the bonnet repaired. This shambolic servivce from the main dealer. What should a man do?

0 0 0

7. Re: Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Not good.

A letter to VW would be a start.....
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

8. Re: Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes got to agree with Quatrelle-write a letter-send it recorded signed for-to VW at Milton Keynes. Follow it up with a phone call, and just keep on until you get this sorted out.
    VW make a great deal about their customer service-sounds like you haven't had much of it.
    Good luck and keep posting the results.
    MARCH 2014 Passat B7 Estate Executive: Autumn Brown

0 0 0

9. Re: Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
    Sounds a bit like a problem that some of us have had, but the difference is that it required the battery to be disconnected to 'reboot' the computer, and a subsequent softwared update to solve the problem.

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=35778
    I echo StuartW's comment.

0 0 0

10. Re: Total Electrical Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got the car back having had the bonnet sprayed. In total it got a new ignition control unit, steering lock control unit, internal power unit and a new fuel pump. Now the screen washer wont work, im getting a message to say the front fog lamps are not workinf which is good beacuse the car dosen't have front fog lamps.
    Its booked in net week to have these problms looked at. Ive been offered a free service and £200 shopping vouchers for my troubles. I think these cars have too many control units. Will keep you posted.

0 0 0