1. How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys, I'm hoping someone here can help me!

I've got a MkV 1.9 TDI SE Golf, '04 Reg. I came to fill up this morning and pressed the fuel flap opening switch in my drivers side door and.... nothing happened. No noise or anything, and the flap won't open!

So I have 2 questions. First and most importantly - how do you manually open the flap?? I have pulled back the side carpeting in the boot, and can see a small rod which must have something to do with the flap, but it's through a really small hole and I can only just squeeze my fingers in (and I have small hands!) and I can't work out what to do next. Any help would be much appreciated!

Then obviously my second question is what might the fault be? Could it be a fuse, or something more sinister?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

0 0 0

2. Re: How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, firstly I'm pretty sure the manual has a bit about it, but I will check when I get home for the procedure if no one else pipes up

As for the fault, could be a multitude of things!!
    Don't think there is a fuse for this in particular (In so far as, there will be somethig else on the same fuse!!) But will check this also!

I would say your likely suspects are:

Switch fault
    Motor Fault
    Wiring fault

Probably in that order.

Will let you know what I find out tonight

Paul
    A4 B7 S-Line 140 TDi
    Phantom Black, Bose Sound System, Arm-Rest, Retro-Fit DIS, Retro-Fit Cruise
    Fully registered Vag-Com/VCDS Hex-CAN

0 0 0

3. Re: How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Paul, any luck finding a way of opening it? I can't see anything in the manual and my Haynes manual is no help.

I've removed all the right hand side trim to get better access, there's a rod there which definitely seems to be connected but I can't work out what to do with it, i've tried anything I can think of but no luck...

0 0 0

4. Re: How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not if it can be open manually from the outside, as this is suppose to stop fuel theft by having it released by electrical circuit unless it has a key hole like the doors have.

Not too sure if it can be done manually from the inside apart from the open switch.

Might be easier getting it repaired from a local garage and not costing a fortune.

0 0 0

5. Re: How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

See the below:

"Note :
    If tank flap does not open, it can be opened by hand
    via the release rod - 5 - . Side trim must be
    removed for this.

GolfV Fuel Flap.jpg

Hope that helps

Sorry for the small image, can't seem to make it any bigger

Paul
    A4 B7 S-Line 140 TDi

0 0 0

6. Re: How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    THanks for your help! Just in case anyone else has this problem, here's how you do it:

1. Open your boot

2. Remove your parcel shelf

3. Pull away the side carpeting

3. You need to remove the right hand side trim (the bit the parcel shelf locks in to). There is one screw under the boot seal (you have to pull off the bottom seal and trim to get to it). There is also a plastic pop catch which you can loosen with a screwdriver (it's kinda behind the light, you have to crouch down and look up behind it to see it - it's white).

4. Slide a screwdriver (or trim removal tool) all the way round the trim and pull it reasonably hard. With a bit of patience it does all come out but it takes a bit of guts.

5. In the metal shell of the car there are 2 holes cut out, through which you should be able to see a metal rod with a white plastic bit at the top - that's what you're after.

6. You need to push the white bit upwards. It's very tricky to get to and you'll need small hands to reach it. Pull that up and the flap should open.

Hope that helps anyone else who gets stuck in the same situation! I have taped over the lock and got myself a locking fuel cap for now - seems like a much better set up to me than relying on VW electrics!!

0 1 0

7. Re: How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Steve,

Glad you finally got it open!!
    Any progress on finding out what is actually at fault??

Forgot to have a look at the wiring and see where it's fused, will try and have a look when I get home for you

Paul
    A4 B7 S-Line 140 TDi

0 0 0

8. Re: How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No progress yet. I'm actually having a few problems with the car which I'm almost thinking might be related. I've had problems with it cutting out, stalling for no reason, and misfiring particularly at motorway speeds. Scan revealed the engine speed sensor at fault (16705/P0322 Ignition/distributor engine speed input circuit - G28: NO SIGNAL) so I had that replaced which fixed it for almost 1 month, but this morning had it misfire and stall on me (on the M25!!) again. Scanned was the same fault code (showing up as flashing glow plug light).

So this could be faulty wiring, or from reading around it sounds like it could also be this Relay 109 - Main Power Supply Fuse - would that affect the fuel flap motor as well? Do the Mark Vs have this relay too? And i've got an airbag light which comes up as side passenger ignitor fault - related as well? From what I can see this last one could also be dodgy wiring in the passenger seat.

Any help much appreciated, think I might start this in a new thread..

0 1 0

9. Re: How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Steve,

That's your problem, the M25, speeding in a car park

Sorry, know that doesn't help what so ever but it made me chuckle!! Must be nearly going home time me thinks!!

They could be related, but I would think it is unlikely!! Unless this relay is a common point, I will have a lok through the wiring tonight when I get home. Can you tell me what year, model and engine and gearbox codes you've got? Will ensure i'm looking at exactly the right diagrams.

Cheers

Paul
    A4 B7 S-Line 140 TDi

0 0 0

10. Re: How to manually open fuel filler flap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2004 '04 1.9 SE TDi. Where do I find the engine and gearbox codes?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast