1. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine started with a bad smell through the vents. The water that collected in my plenum chamber had gone stagnent. I took the cover off to see water lieing. This was years ago before the new of the recall. I couldn't find the drain holes so siphened it out. (9ltrs).

Some time later my brakes were sticking on. Servo has rusted. I found the drain hole under the battery. I put some water in and then poked about until woosh... I unlbocked the whole.

Does anyone know what Audi do to the plenum chamber. I just keep and eye on mine now.
    A4 1.9TDI 160bhp Sport - 2001 (51)
    Re-map by more-bhp.
    TT 3.2 V6 DSG quattro 270BHP - 2003 (53)

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pompomJuice View Post
    Sigh its getting worse.

This weekend we had heavy heavy rains. When I started the car it sounded like the battery was flat and the on board computer told me there is something wrong with my break system.

After a while somehow the car started. The starter really struggled to turn the engine over, but it must be because its a diesel since there is no way a petrol engine would start with such low "starter RPM". I let it idle for about a minute, turned the engine off... and attempted a start again. Strangely this time around the car started like it normally does, no problems. No break warning on the on board computer either.

This is really starting to freak me out. I made an appointment with AUDI today and they are going to check if indeed my car is eligible for that plenum chamber recall, and then they would probably proceed to fix it. Since I live in Africa you cannot expect anyone to do "Audi recall" jobs for free on a service. It just won't happen. I hate this place.
    Why does it matter what country you're in? If there is a recall on the car then your local dealer should do it.
    AUDI A4 1.8T QUATTRO SPORTS : 2001 B6

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbaker View Post
    Why does it matter what country you're in? If there is a recall on the car then your local dealer should do it.
    Am am sure Audi headquaters are not concerned that mangie Audi dealers in South Africa are ripping of their customers. I mean, I took my Audi in for a 120 000 km service and it cost me R10 000. That's almost 10% of the car's value. A month later I find that despite that hefty service I still have leaks and the car's electronics is going crazy. Either Audi is making dodgy cars or I have a dodgy dealer.

This is Africa though, you cant expect more. That is why I don't really get mad or something.

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pompomJuice View Post
    Am am sure Audi headquaters are not concerned that mangie Audi dealers in South Africa are ripping of their customers. I mean, I took my Audi in for a 120 000 km service and it cost me R10 000. That's almost 10% of the car's value. A month later I find that despite that hefty service I still have leaks and the car's electronics is going crazy. Either Audi is making dodgy cars or I have a dodgy dealer.

This is Africa though, you cant expect more. That is why I don't really get mad or something.

All your symptoms sound to me like this:

You have blocked drainage holes. The plenum chamber is now full up with water and is effecting your brake servo. The water has leaked in through the front footwell and got inside your central contro or conveniance unit (or whatever its called) causing electrical mayhem.

Do a search on this site for instructions on how to remove your battery and find the blocked holes so you can clear the water. I would then get someone (an autoelec) to have a look at your central control unit which is under the passengers front seat. Or do it yourself if you are able to.

All this should be done and fixed by Audi if your car qualifies for the re-call. Why dont you ring Audi uk to express your concerns or to see if your car (if it was in this country) would qualify for the recall.

Good luck with it mate, i feel your pain!!

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi - I am not sure if you resolved this but I thought it maybe useful to someone if I added my experience.

The nearside bottom of the windscreen was found to have a leak, calling for a repair by Autoglass. Footwell still wet so I took out the battery and clreared out the drain hole. No leak for a couple of weeks until it rained.

There was a strong smell of windscreen washer in the car and it used loads so I traced the washer pipes and the junction located under the passenger's bulkhead was leaking - replaced junction. All was well then the rear windscreen washer packed up. The newly found pressure in the sytem blew off the rear junction which is located and reachable from the offside first aid/jack compartment.

All very exaperating but now all is well.

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the cover to the ECU.

I had water in my footwell which I put down to me. Later on I started to get all sorts of error messages with the ABS and ESP. After switching off and restarting, all was well.

One rainy day the car went into limp mode. I also noticed that cooling fan was on and that the ECU was not powering up. After having the car recovered to Audi, they said the ECU would need replacement.

I wasn't convinced so pulled parts off the car in their workshop to find that there was a chunk missing at the very back of the ECU cover. This was allowing water to fill up the ECU housing and also to run into the footwell through a cable entry point. Water was also dripping all over the connectors for the braking system.

A repair was carried out with a tube of silicone sealant. Not very pretty, but it's not readily visible!

No more leaks and no more electrical faults - after 8 months.

Hope this helps

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Check the cover to the ECU.

I had water in my footwell which I put down to me. Later on I started to get all sorts of error messages with the ABS and ESP. After switching off and restarting, all was well.

One rainy day the car went into limp mode. I also noticed that cooling fan was on and that the ECU was not powering up. After having the car recovered to Audi, they said the ECU would need replacement.

I wasn't convinced so pulled parts off the car in their workshop to find that there was a chunk missing at the very back of the ECU cover. This was allowing water to fill up the ECU housing and also to run into the footwell through a cable entry point. Water was also dripping all over the connectors for the braking system.

A repair was carried out with a tube of silicone sealant. Not very pretty, but it's not readily visible!

No more leaks and no more electrical faults - after 8 months.

Hope this helps
    That sounds just typical of Audi, they will never salvage anything just replace things that will cost you a damn fortune. Glad you sorted it

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My wife has a 2002 2.4 A4 cabriolet. This has water appearing in the drivers footwell. The drain grommets under the battery and servo are both clear, and no evidence of water build up. The effect is a bit strange. The carpets do not get a water build up on them when the car is stationary and it is raining, they only seem to get wet when the car is then driven. It appears to be near the footrest area that gets wet. The water is obviousy rain water - there is no smell to it and the car is not loosing coolant. Any one got any ideas? Thanks

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

It does suggest that the ingress of water relates to the forward movement and suggest the following:

Does the top fit securely?

Are the grommets under the carpets securely fitted
    The filter for the air con mounted on the near side can cause a problem and a simple clean might cure it,

Otherwise I am sorry but no further ideas. It took me a long while to sprt out my leaks and I wish you luck but it is worthwhile.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12