Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

Been lurking for a while, mainly looking for info, so apologies if first post is a question.

Bought an 04 2.0 TDI last year, the 150 bhp model. There wasn't an owner's manual with the car, so I'm trying to find out what work is due for each service. The car is due it's 50k service now. My main question is should I get the timing belt changed now? I've read that the timing belts on later Golfs are good for 80k, elsewhere I've heard 60k. I tend to err on the side of caution with servicing, so would rather get it done now than face the consequences of timing belt failure.

Are there any resources online that detail the service schedule for MkVs?

Many thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: 2.0 TDI Service schedule/timing belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Haynes do a manual for your car I have one and its great
    As for the timing belt you should always check with the previous owner for service details inc all bills
    Or perhaps find out where it was serviced to see what work has been done in the past
    If I am not 100% certain of timing belts I always get them done as soon as I get a different car As you said "err on the side of caution"
    Lets know how you geet on

0 0 0

3. Re: 2.0 TDI Service schedule/timing belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers, I may get the Haynes manual alright, but just trying to figure out for now if the timing belt needs done- want to book it in for service this week.

The car had 40k when I bought it and now has 50k, so the timing belt wouldn't have been done yet.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2.0 TDI Service schedule/timing belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Timing belt on these is due at 4 years, don't know what mileage?

0 0 0

5. Re: 2.0 TDI Service schedule/timing belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,

I take it you mean the 140BHp TDi, not the 150??
    The 150 was the 1.9 and the 2.0 is either 140 or 170.

Minor points aside, the timing belt on the 140 2.0 TDi is due at 80k if I remember correctly. The MkIV 1.9 TDi's it was due at 60k, hence where the confusion may be coming from because 04 was the first of the 2.0 and last of the 1.9's.

Not sure about the 4 years, can't remember off hand what the service book said, but I would consider getting it done if you can afford it as it will give you peace of mind for the next few years!!

You should go into the dealers and ask them to order you a service book and manual, will give you all the info you'll ever need. Failing that, head to your local scrappie and ask them if they have one from a trashed Golf!

Cheers

Paul
    A4 B7 S-Line 140 TDi
    Phantom Black, Bose Sound System, Arm-Rest, Retro-Fit DIS, Retro-Fit Cruise
    Fully registered Vag-Com/VCDS Hex-CAN

0 0 0

6. Re: 2.0 TDI Service schedule/timing belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, it is the 140 bhp then, sorry for the confusion

I bought the car off a reputable non-VW dealer, and they said they'd get me manuals, but didn't. I may just order one myself.

Hmm, if it's due at 80k I may consider leaving it a year, it'll be at 60k in a years time..my local dealer is quoting £800 for service including timing belt change, my local backstreet VW mechanic is quoting half that. Does timing belt replacement include changing tensioners?

Quote Originally Posted by elPaulio View Post
    Hi there,

I take it you mean the 140BHp TDi, not the 150??
    The 150 was the 1.9 and the 2.0 is either 140 or 170.

Minor points aside, the timing belt on the 140 2.0 TDi is due at 80k if I remember correctly. The MkIV 1.9 TDi's it was due at 60k, hence where the confusion may be coming from because 04 was the first of the 2.0 and last of the 1.9's.

Not sure about the 4 years, can't remember off hand what the service book said, but I would consider getting it done if you can afford it as it will give you peace of mind for the next few years!!

You should go into the dealers and ask them to order you a service book and manual, will give you all the info you'll ever need. Failing that, head to your local scrappie and ask them if they have one from a trashed Golf!

Cheers

Paul

0 0 0

7. Re: 2.0 TDI Service schedule/timing belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2004 2.0 Gt Tdi 140BHP timing belt change @ 4yrs or 80,000miles, whichever is earlier. (Recommended times by VW).

I've just phoned up VW garage and was quoted £400 inc Vat but managed to get them down to £317. Random amount I know but still saving over £80 and a wash and vac :-)

0 0 0

8. Re: 2.0 TDI Service schedule/timing belt replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Booked in with my local VW mechanic, he's doing the lot including full service for £470, seems pretty fair.

0 0 0

9. Re: 2.0 TDI Service schedule/timing belt replacement 
    cooperman66 Guest
    funny how the service book in my 04/54 GT TDi 140 says 80k and the previous service invoice has a header in saying "VW recommend changing timing belt every 4 years" - sounds like a revenue earner to me. My car is due it's next long life service next month and I've got 2 VW garages to quote with neither mentioning cambelt change!

0 0 0