Notices

User Tag List

Thread: '96 Golf GTi callipers

1. '96 Golf GTi callipers 
    scoobysnax Guest
    Hi, looking for some advice regarding brake callipers.

I asked my garage to do a brake fluid change, but they didn't want to tackle it as the bleed nipples were severely rusted, and the fear was that they would shear off. Was advised that should this happen, I could need 4 new callipers, at around £100 each.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the nipples when they are in a poor state? I've thought about WD40, and applying heat, but understand that this can make the brake fluid boil.

My other thought was to try to obtain a full set of used callipers from ebay, and refurbish them myself in preparation for swapping over towards the end of the year, but there seems to be a few different types, and a year change which I believe occurred in '95 (please correct me if i'm wrong). The car in question is a 1996 Mk3 Golf Gti 8v with the AGG engine.

Any advice on which type I need, and any other relative advice, would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Scoobysnax

0 0 0

2. Re: '96 Golf GTi callipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, from my experience with honda and porsche screws, is that they should still break loose, at least so you can replace them with new screws. Use visegrips and get them bloody tight. Use a quick motion it loosen them. They should break free, if not, you may be into new calipers.

0 0 0

3. Re: '96 Golf GTi callipers 
    scoobysnax Guest
    I might give it a try with the grips, but touring the Highlands with the car over the next 2 weeks, so will leave it until later just in case.
    Thanks for the reply.

0 0 0

4. Re: '96 Golf GTi callipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problem, good luck.

0 0 0

5. Re: '96 Golf GTi callipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Depends on which brakes you have but if they are the 280-mm (as opposed to the 288’s fitted from around late 96) they are only £50.75 (left) and £54.78 (right) inc. VAT genuine exchange from a VW dealer.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0