1. B8 aftermarket audio 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Currently driving a B7 (56-plate) A4 2.0 TDI Quattro. First thing I did when I picked it up was pulled out the crappy OEM audio and fitted decent aftermarket kit.

Now... it seems with the B8 that you can't do that, there's no "head unit" as such. Unless you can pull the in-dash changer out and replace it? But then wouldn't that mess up the MMI controls?

Any ideas?

0 0 0

2. Re: B8 aftermarket audio 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    No idea what is behind the OEM kit. However, I would suggest a new head unit would make the dash look a mess. The OEM is all currently molded, hooked into the MMI and if you have the Sat Nav option the controls are down by the arm rest so could be a bit problematic! Speakers should be easy tho I guess

0 0 0

3. Re: B8 aftermarket audio 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The speakers were something I didn't bother replacing as the standard A4 (non-Bose) speakers are pretty good.

Basically what I've done in my B7 is this:

Sony MEX-BT5000 Bluetooth head unit
    Connects2 Sony USB interface with 16GB USB flash drive
    Connects2 Sony iPod interface
    Vibe DeltaBox line driver (powering rear amplifier)
    JBL GTO-4000 4ch amp powering front and subs
    2x 10" JBL subs in boot
    Audi Active system powering rear speakers
    RFI/noise power filter
    1F power cap

Tried not to go too OTT, all the back-end kit (amp, power cap, filter) fits behind the trim in the boot, the subs are hooked up to an inline XLR and can be removed in seconds if I need all the boot space.

0 0 0

4. Re: B8 aftermarket audio 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    There is what appears to be a sub on the parcel shelf of the B8 I test drove (currently waiting, sleepless night, for my S Line B8)
    Gonna be a long slow summer.........

0 0 0

5. Re: B8 aftermarket audio 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The B6 and B7 have an 8" sub on the parcel shelf...

0 0 0

6. Re: B8 aftermarket audio 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is a guess and maybe far of the mark.....
    However, if the MMI system is the same as the A5, A6, A8 and Q7 then would one of these enable aftermarket systems to be installed? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A6-A8-Q7-...2em118Q2el1247

My thought was when ordering the new B8 A4 (which I get tomorrow... whoo hooooo) was that the sat nav etc was overpriced for something that is not as functional as the others on the market i.e. POI's speed cameras etc. So the same could be said that unless there is some software block - which should not be legal as we have paid for the complete car to do with as we please - at the risk of warranty.

Just a thought and to spurn some discussion

0 0 0

7. Re: B8 aftermarket audio 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think on the newer cars that retrofitting the factory stuff or just biting the bullett and ordering it is probably the only way to go.

The newer systems are very well integrated with the car, and not simple to add to, as well as not looking very pretty if you add on third party gadgets.

I'm probably going to just order with sat nav, and full phone integration because it works so well. I agree it's not cheap, but you do get 3 year warranty on it all.

If you have heard the B & O system it's also pretty good...
    A6 (2007)TDi SE Avant
    Gone but not forgotten - A4 2.5TDi Avant, Imola Yellow S3 , Golf VR6 Highline

0 0 0

8. Re: B8 aftermarket audio 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't heard the B&O system. The Bose system in the B6 and B7 isn't that great. Better than the standard system but not a patch on a decent aftermarket setup. One would hope the B&O is better though.

0 0 0