1. Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Having read a really nice thread on fixing these bulbs - it took me however 5 days to find a thread due to keyword thread not being properly titled.

Hence ive titled this best i can - so most will find this problem by search easily.

If someone helps - you should help back - so when i did mine i thought id post properly as loads of people have this problem ont he B5 as theyre very old cars now i was told id have to solder leds remove sterring etc but its all false - THSI JOB TAKES 10 MINS.

PHOTOS AT BOTTOM SHOULD HELP YOU - SORRY THEYRE NOT BRILL BUT I DID EM ON MOBILE LAST MINUTE WHEN I THOUGHT I COULD POST THEM HERE

You can now fix your dashboard lightbulbs on the A4 1998 1.9TDI (maybe same for the others) B5 models.

VERY VERY SIMPLE

I drove around for ages with no light on clock and past 80 on speedo for ages thinking i had to remove the steering wheel - but you can do this job in 10 mins!

INSTRUCTIONS

Get a Hex key set handy for screws.

Lower your steering - with the pull handle underneath to make room.

Push driver seat back - to make more room.

Lift up the small trim panel behind the steering and between the instrument panel - a small bend basically.

Now you see the 2 hex screws behind - take em out.

Push the trim down (the thin striped ridge one) and holding the two stalks for the clock and zero counter reset - pull the instrument panel towards you to remove it.

Now - look behind - manouvere slowly and on the left side theres a connector at back - small one and yellow one.

Use a screwdriver to slowly prise the black small one loose then use the screwdriver to lift the clip on the yellow connector - then use your hand to pull connector off.

Now you have more leway - pinch the clip in the middle and remove that connector

Now for the far side - go to the other side (window side of wheel) and use the screwdriver to lift the clip on the purple connector - and pull the connector -

HEY PRESTO - panel is loose - take it out turn it over.

Theres little space to move around but if you take the left side out first working your way to the third connector window side this is easiest.

You see the black bulbs - theyre 1.2W - for the lights like - fuel low etc - UNLESS YOU NEED THESE DONT BUY THESE!

You see the ORANGE ones - theyre the ones you need to change - CHANGE ALL 6 or 7 - FAULTY ONES GET REPLACED AND NEW ONES END UP BLOWING THE OLD ONES - SO BUY ALL ORANGE ONES - NOT JUST THE ONES NEEDING REPLACING.

Bulbs are £1 each at any shop - do a google for 1.1W orange bulb - youll see a shop in preston PR4 3RT called Vaux World - they sell them for 79p each and post out aswell - i dont know if theyre OSRAM though.

Do not buy at Maplin or Halfords! - they tried to sell me the wrong ones ( they said take black ones - WRONG!) and tried to delay me by making me wait 1 week - either ask Audi for them (cheap and original at least) - or look em up on the net.

If they arn't Orange holder versions - youre wasting your time. You can get cheap ones - NON Osram - dont last long! SO I RECCOMEND OSRAM!

Ok - i opened my panel in 5 mins then went looking for bulbs - took 4 days - so go looking for the bulbs first now that you know - you should get them first. - look at the photos first - youll need about 6 ish.

Easy peasy - use a screw driver and turn the orange holder in the back of the panel quarter turn and it comes loose - brill - easy - plug and play basically.

Put the new one in and turn again like last time to close it into position. I reccomend you take em all out then put em aside then put new ones in so you dont mix up!

Ok - basically now just put the dash back like it was and youre done connecting from right to left this time and slowly inset then screw and put trim back on.

So Easy - i couldnt believe my luckwhen i realised i could do this every week if i had to - and all this time id been putting up with a blank speedo past 80 and no clock!

Heres the photos attached which i took on my mobile so im glad it will help you.

Thanks

Templar
    cbi004

I have a 1998 1.9TDI AUTO full leather - only 70000 miles - well looked after.

My gearbox is leaking - i need to change seal - auto gearbox - had refilled at £80 cost from Audi (they wouldnt tell me grade of oil to use) - but £350 to change the seal (£10) due to having to drop gearbox box - so i filled with oil and now its empty again 3 months later . get jerks - when changing gear and also goes into neutral and does funny revs before jerking into gear - due to low oil pressure.

all you need to do is top oil up change filter and seals in case of leaks!

plus need to change bulb on the ciggarette lighter - no threads here! so ill have to research slowly and look again - when done hopefully all ok on my car! no doubt threads exist but they arnt keyword titled properly so youd never find them - like needle in haystack.
    Attached Images

1 0 0

2. Re: Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbi004 View Post
    Having read a really nice thread on fixing these bulbs - it took me however 5 days to find a thread due to keyword thread not being properly titled.

Hence ive titled this best i can - so most will find this problem by search easily.

If someone helps - you should help back - so when i did mine i thought id post properly as loads of people have this problem ont he B5 as theyre very old cars now i was told id have to solder leds remove sterring etc but its all false - THSI JOB TAKES 10 MINS.

PHOTOS AT BOTTOM SHOULD HELP YOU - SORRY THEYRE NOT BRILL BUT I DID EM ON MOBILE LAST MINUTE WHEN I THOUGHT I COULD POST THEM HERE

You can now fix your dashboard lightbulbs on the A4 1998 1.9TDI (maybe same for the others) B5 models.

VERY VERY SIMPLE

I drove around for ages with no light on clock and past 80 on speedo for ages thinking i had to remove the steering wheel - but you can do this job in 10 mins!

INSTRUCTIONS

Get a Hex key set handy for screws.

Lower your steering - with the pull handle underneath to make room.

Push driver seat back - to make more room.

Lift up the small trim panel behind the steering and between the instrument panel - a small bend basically.

Now you see the 2 hex screws behind - take em out.

Push the trim down (the thin striped ridge one) and holding the two stalks for the clock and zero counter reset - pull the instrument panel towards you to remove it.

Now - look behind - manouvere slowly and on the left side theres a connector at back - small one and yellow one.

Use a screwdriver to slowly prise the black small one loose then use the screwdriver to lift the clip on the yellow connector - then use your hand to pull connector off.

Now you have more leway - pinch the clip in the middle and remove that connector

Now for the far side - go to the other side (window side of wheel) and use the screwdriver to lift the clip on the purple connector - and pull the connector -

HEY PRESTO - panel is loose - take it out turn it over.

Theres little space to move around but if you take the left side out first working your way to the third connector window side this is easiest.

You see the black bulbs - theyre 1.2W - for the lights like - fuel low etc - UNLESS YOU NEED THESE DONT BUY THESE!

You see the ORANGE ones - theyre the ones you need to change - CHANGE ALL 6 or 7 - FAULTY ONES GET REPLACED AND NEW ONES END UP BLOWING THE OLD ONES - SO BUY ALL ORANGE ONES - NOT JUST THE ONES NEEDING REPLACING.

Bulbs are £1 each at any shop - do a google for 1.1W orange bulb - youll see a shop in preston PR4 3RT called Vaux World - they sell them for 79p each and post out aswell - i dont know if theyre OSRAM though.

Do not buy at Maplin or Halfords! - they tried to sell me the wrong ones ( they said take black ones - WRONG!) and tried to delay me by making me wait 1 week - either ask Audi for them (cheap and original at least) - or look em up on the net.

If they arn't Orange holder versions - youre wasting your time. You can get cheap ones - NON Osram - dont last long! SO I RECCOMEND OSRAM!

Ok - i opened my panel in 5 mins then went looking for bulbs - took 4 days - so go looking for the bulbs first now that you know - you should get them first. - look at the photos first - youll need about 6 ish.

Easy peasy - use a screw driver and turn the orange holder in the back of the panel quarter turn and it comes loose - brill - easy - plug and play basically.

Put the new one in and turn again like last time to close it into position. I reccomend you take em all out then put em aside then put new ones in so you dont mix up!

Ok - basically now just put the dash back like it was and youre done connecting from right to left this time and slowly inset then screw and put trim back on.

So Easy - i couldnt believe my luckwhen i realised i could do this every week if i had to - and all this time id been putting up with a blank speedo past 80 and no clock!

Heres the photos attached which i took on my mobile so im glad it will help you.

Thanks

Templar
    cbi004

I have a 1998 1.9TDI AUTO full leather - only 70000 miles - well looked after.

My gearbox is leaking - i need to change seal - auto gearbox - had refilled at £80 cost from Audi (they wouldnt tell me grade of oil to use) - but £350 to change the seal (£10) due to having to drop gearbox box - so i filled with oil and now its empty again 3 months later . get jerks - when changing gear and also goes into neutral and does funny revs before jerking into gear - due to low oil pressure.

all you need to do is top oil up change filter and seals in case of leaks!

plus need to change bulb on the ciggarette lighter - no threads here! so ill have to research slowly and look again - when done hopefully all ok on my car! no doubt threads exist but they arnt keyword titled properly so youd never find them - like needle in haystack.
    Just read your post and thanks for titling it so well!! Really helps searching for items.
    Can you let me know how you noticed when the bulbs went? I own a 1998 S-reg Audi cabriolet and the whole instrument light panel has gone, I thought it was just the dimmer switch. Is there anything I can check before giving it to my local Audi garage?

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A '98 cab....so a B4 shape, have you also lost the lights from the extra guages too? Fuse probably gone. Think they may also link into the glovebox light....that's the one that blows the fuse....start there. The other odd one for this is the dreaded boot loom....but check that glovebox first...
    2010 S4 in exclusive classic red and every option under the sun...as well as my 80 cabriolet 2.6e auto fun day car...not forgetting a slightly Smashed but saved waiting for some repairs 01.5 B5 A4 2.4SE Tip - Votex body kit, Hidden Microwave PDC, Pirelli X-Pressure TPMS, Hardwired Bel RX65e, Lamp Guards...and the exclusive Red Logo Audi Sport Valve Stem Caps!

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi sorry just saw your reply

before giving it to audi

check one bulb by changing it using my method given in post.

if it doesnt work then definately all the bulbs may be fine and one of your fuses may have gone

problem im having is i cant find the bloody fuse

luckily my bulbs started going and i was ****** i couldnt longer see the speedo

so one day took it apart and changed bulbs and not its all great.

do that first and if the bulb lights up change all - if one doesnt work then look for a fuse somewhere

i still dont know how to change my light on the cig lighter

good luck

sorry for too late reply

Quote Originally Posted by sstave01 View Post
    Just read your post and thanks for titling it so well!! Really helps searching for items.
    Can you let me know how you noticed when the bulbs went? I own a 1998 S-reg Audi cabriolet and the whole instrument light panel has gone, I thought it was just the dimmer switch. Is there anything I can check before giving it to my local Audi garage?

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi sorry just saw your reply

before giving it to audi

check one bulb by changing it using my method given in post.

if it doesnt work then definately all the bulbs may be fine and one of your fuses may have gone

problem im having is i cant find the bloody fuse

luckily my bulbs started going and i was ****** i couldnt longer see the speedo

so one day took it apart and changed bulbs and not its all great.

do that first and if the bulb lights up change all - if one doesnt work then look for a fuse somewhere

i still dont know how to change my light on the cig lighter

good luck

sorry for too late reply

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dear cactus GREEN

my car cabriolet 1998 learther in cream is also a cactus green

the glovebox lights fine

dash bulbs all done by myself now

only problem

cig lighter light gone - wheres the fuse and how do i get to bulb

Quote Originally Posted by cactusgreen View Post
    A '98 cab....so a B4 shape, have you also lost the lights from the extra guages too? Fuse probably gone. Think they may also link into the glovebox light....that's the one that blows the fuse....start there. The other odd one for this is the dreaded boot loom....but check that glovebox first...

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dear cactus GREEN

my car cabriolet 1998 learther in cream is also a cactus green

the glovebox lights fine

dash bulbs all done by myself now

only problem

cig lighter light gone - wheres the fuse and how do i get to bulb

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glovebox light has not worked properly for ages - the connection keeps slipping off so I will check that one first and make sure it's connected properly.
    By the way, all of the lights on the dash and front cluster have gone, including the lights on the heater and fan controls. Only ones that light up are the centre warning panel (handbrake light, low petrol, low water etc.) and the lights on the fog/hazard etc.
    Do you know what fuse controls the glovebox? I have a feeling it's in the manual for that one but wasn't for the dashboard lights!
    Will check glovebox tonight and change fuse and let you know. Thinking about delaying trip to Audi....;0)

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd lay money down on a fuse....think you will also have lost the rear license plate bulbs and radio could be out too... That glovebox light is the cause of many a strange lighting problem....not got my book to hand but think they are listed from when I blew the same fuse when swapping the glovebox bulb and let the holder touch some grounded point....think there were a lsit of items covered buy the same one..

*EDIT*

Could be fuse 14 is the one....or one of the problem ones.... if not can also be the boot looms or the dimmer....
    2010 S4 in exclusive classic red and every option under the sun...as well as my 80 cabriolet 2.6e auto fun day car...not forgetting a slightly Smashed but saved waiting for some repairs 01.5 B5 A4 2.4SE Tip - Votex body kit, Hidden Microwave PDC, Pirelli X-Pressure TPMS, Hardwired Bel RX65e, Lamp Guards...and the exclusive Red Logo Audi Sport Valve Stem Caps!

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi A4 Dashboard Instrument Panel Light Bulb Dash Light Fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgreen View Post

Could be fuse 14 is the one....or one of the problem ones.... if not can also be the boot looms or the dimmer....
    or 12 is also for dash lighting.

14 is a 5A
    12 is a 15A

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast