Notices

User Tag List

Thread: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod?

1. XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    AndyF Guest
    Hi,

I have a 04 Mk5 Golf with an RCD300 and I'm considering fitting an Xcarlink MP3 adapter. The trouble is, I don't really know which one to go for.....

I don't have either an ipod or a USB MP3 player, but does anyone have any views on if one version is particularly better than the other? The new models of the usb xcarlink have an SD card slot too, which seems quite tempting

I'm inclined to go for the USB version because I don't really want to have to fork out £140 for an ipod that will probably only live in the glovebox, and as I understand it, for itunes don't you have to keep the MP3s stored on your PC all the time? (Not keen on that for some reason)

Any advice, suggestions, etc would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andy

0 0 0

2. Re: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you don't have an IPod I would go for the MP3 one. I have a creative zen mp3 player but I bought a 1GB SD card, (they give you an USB to SD card adaptor in case you don't have an SD slot on your computer) and can store plenty on it. I was very happy with it and it was very easy to fit.

0 0 0

3. Re: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry ! but am i missing something here ?
    if you dont have an ipod or mp3 player why do you want to fit an xcarlink

0 0 0

4. Re: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can play songs off of a memory stick or SD card and control them through the head unit. No need for a mp3 player.

0 0 0

5. Re: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahhh sorry.Not up to date with all this new stuff.

I best go and put another 8track in..lol..

0 0 0

6. Re: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    AndyF Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnyIre View Post
    If you don't have an IPod I would go for the MP3 one. I have a creative zen mp3 player but I bought a 1GB SD card, (they give you an USB to SD card adaptor in case you don't have an SD slot on your computer) and can store plenty on it. I was very happy with it and it was very easy to fit.
    Thanks for the advice - I was planning on going down the SD route too.

It looks like the ipod xcarlink doesn't have the SD option, so unless there was a significant difference between the two versions I didn't want to have to fork out for an ipod as well.
    Thanks
    Andy

0 0 0

7. Re: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    Thanks for the advice - I was planning on going down the SD route too.

It looks like the ipod xcarlink doesn't have the SD option, so unless there was a significant difference between the two versions I didn't want to have to fork out for an ipod as well.
    Thanks
    Andy
    No problems. There is plenty advice on fitting them if you go ahead and buy it. I also saw on memoryc.co.uk a 2GB SD card for about 5 euro + vat.

0 0 0

8. Re: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    AndyF Guest
    Just now placed order - hopefully not long to wait.
    Just one more question though. I see that the xcarlink webiste says that if you use a USB drive you have to put the tracks in folders numbered cd01, etc. I assume you have to do this for the SD card too?

0 0 0

9. Re: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    Just now placed order - hopefully not long to wait.
    Just one more question though. I see that the xcarlink webiste says that if you use a USB drive you have to put the tracks in folders numbered cd01, etc. I assume you have to do this for the SD card too?

Ya, same folder numbering for the SD Card. I hope it connected up alright.

0 0 0

10. Re: XCarlink - MP3 or Ipod? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mp3!

0 0 0