1. A discussion i was having with a friend 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was wondering if someone who actually knows what they are talking about could resolve this for me...
    Someone who knows my mate had their cruise control jam whilst on the motorway doing well over 85mph, it wouldnt break, they couldn't stop, very scary..etcetc

the person i was talking to about it to said they should have just turned their engine off whilst they were flying down the mway unable to stop....is this right?

i didnt think it was....

0 0 0

2. Re: A discussion i was having with a friend 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well if none of the usual methods to cut out the CC work, i don't see they had much choice but to do so. it will of course affect braking, but surely being able to brake inefficiently is preferable to not being able to brake at all!

was it manual or automatic? not sure what would happen in a manual if you just slipped it out of gear? i think possibly the throttle would stay open and rev the engine to death in neutral.

scary stuff.

0 0 0

3. Re: A discussion i was having with a friend 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Manual - dip the clutch and it cuts out - or it should
    Auto - slip into neutral and again, I believe it cuts out.

I had a throttle jam open on my old Beetle, the cable kinked and then got wedged. After tearing down the road for a few miles I suddenly remembered it had a neutral and just popped it out of gear. It kept bouncing off the rev limiter until I was able to pull over and unjam the cable.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

4. Re: A discussion i was having with a friend 
    kimandsally Guest
    Some years ago I was a part time taxi driver, cut a long story short my throttle cable broke on the M25 I quickly poped the bonnet and jammed the throttle at around 3/4 jumped into the car started it and set off, I drove 130+ miles with it using the gears and finally using the key to turn it off at red traffic lights when I got off the motorway, on another car I had the brakes leak out the fluid so the pedal had no effect again I drove home using the gears and handbrake although for only 12 miles.

My way of dealing with these is just my normal way of driving, I leave massive stopping distances always then no matter what any emergency becomes so much less I find it a very relaxing way to drive, plus my brake pads normally last 60,000 miles.

0 0 0

5. Re: A discussion i was having with a friend 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best practice is to move over into the hard shoulder, pop into neutral and break. If you breaks have failed same again, into hard shoulder and engine break the roll until stopped in neutral. Both together, into the hard shoulder, ignition key back one turn to cut the engine then forward again (as if it were in the position before the crank) all your electrics should stay on, steering won't lock and you can roll to a stop
    You may think I'm being helpful yet sarcastic, this is only because I feel I need to help you to help yourself in the future

0 0 0

6. Re: A discussion i was having with a friend 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool..apparently the person who knows my mate was driving an automatic and was going that fast they couldnt get over into the hard shoulder for ages as the motorway was super busy.
    at least if it ever happens to me i know what to do....nice one

0 0 0

7. Re: A discussion i was having with a friend 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stick the hazards on then:

You can always turn off the ignition and then back on again quite quickly to see if that resets the Cruise Control.

That's what i would of tried first. Failing that I would of turned it off and move over as soon as I could
    Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch 2.0TDi 170 CR in Candy White
    Outgoing Car: 2007 56 Plate Audi A3 Sport Sportback 2.0TDi 170 PD in Black

0 0 0

8. Re: A discussion i was having with a friend 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi all
    surely the brake pedel worked??
    Is the Audi 2ltdi170bhp a good engine guys??

0 0 0

9. Re: A discussion i was having with a friend 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    New to this forum mmm ;-))
    Thinking of buying an A4 se 2007 2ltdi

Surely a good choice for my 1st car ??
    ;-)

company vans up to now

0 0 0

10. Re: A discussion i was having with a friend 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as long as the insurance is not too much then yes the 170 2.0tdi is a stonker.

Ignore the 0-60 times, it's the in gear that is 'Special'. Just under 2 seconds slower than most hot hatches, R32, VXR, ST and Type R included.
    Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch 2.0TDi 170 CR in Candy White
    Outgoing Car: 2007 56 Plate Audi A3 Sport Sportback 2.0TDi 170 PD in Black

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast