Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone,

I'm a new member with a '97 A4 1.9tdi Avant tdi SE (AFN) with 120,000 miles on clock.

I've had the car 7 years and just recently seems to be losing a bit of power, is a bit more tappy round the top end and emits a bit of smoke (white-ish) on acceleration.

Thought I would try new injectors or nozzles, does anyone think this may help, and if so, wheres the best place to puchase for the right price.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think I am right in thinking yours is the older TDi. The injectors for mine are about £350 EACH!!

Have you tried cleaning or replacing the MAF as these give power obnormalities resulting in low power and smoking.

Are you sure its white smoke? This is common in cold weather and is steam from condensation in the exhaust. If it still does it when fully warmed up it maybe something more sinister like a dodgy head gasket, this can also give power reductions.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the response Dave

I did replace the MAF around 18 months ago, but it was from Europarts, so probably not the genuine part.

So maybe I will try cleaning it first, then go for the genuine item if it could be that.

The smoke is not really that bad, but has got worse.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks,
    Paul
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mine smoked a bit under accelleration, but I disconnected the EGR. I don't notice any smoke now!! I've done this on a Rover 600 diesel which was guaranteed to fail every year on smoke emissions, disconnected before the MOT and its the first time it passed in about 3-4 years!!! I also disconnected it on another Rover which passes everytime with about 160,000 miles on it, The Rover 600 has a bout a third of the mileage but failed with the EGR connected.

EGR is good in theory, but after some miles are done the recycled exhuast gases coke up the inlet, so when you do come to use some power it just sucks on all the cack in the inlet.

Eurocarparts tend to do a cheaper version and the Genuine replacement, maybe not on all stuff, but most parts.
    0 0 0

5. Question  
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will take a look at the EGR, and may also clean out the inlet if it is a bit clogged up.

Could worn injector nozzles cause an increase in engine noise and are they worth the investment as I love the car, and plan to keep it for a while yet?
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Possibly, hard to say. Is it more 'diesel rattle' or tappet noise?
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say more of a diesel rattle really, more like a black cab.
    0 0 0