Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I know this topics been covered a bit but I haven't managed to find any post with the exact problem we are seeing.....so I thought I'd see if any one had anything to add.

Its 1.4 Polo 2000 (X reg) - I believe the 6N2 model.

Its a problem with the driver-side window. When you press the button to open the window, the window goes down.....9/10 it will just decide to go all the way down. When you try to press the button to bring the window back up, nothing happens....after much swearing and switch-action the window may come half way up....still holding the switch in the up position the window will stop half way up. If at this point you let go of the switch the window will go back down again and your back to swearing at it.

After some struggling you may be able to get the window back up and closed. It seems to help if you grab the window and manually give it a shove upwards.

I've had a mechanic look at this who claimed that he could find anything wrong with the electrics and he thought that the door might be warped and somehow causing excessive friction...etc... Personally I'm not really sold by this idea.

What do you think this could be????

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Polo 6N2 electric window fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The 6N2 mechanisms are highly un-reliable, more so than the 6N1. When it sticks, try holding the button whilst slamming the door. Not easy I know, as the switch is in the door (on the 6N1 it is in the centre column) but try it. If this works, fit a new mechanism and motor.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Polo 6N2 electric window fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was hoping to avoid spending much money, and if I can pinpoint a specific component it would be great. Is it likely to be the motor, seam like it's something controlling the motor that may be faulty....I'm no expert though.

Thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: Polo 6N2 electric window fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I was hoping to avoid spending much money
    Nothing personal but I keep hearing/reading that and it is getting monotonous. Just because you are short of money doesn’t mean the fix can be cheap. More than likely it is the motor but if you pull it apart and change the motor and then find the mechanism is faulty, it is kind of annoying.

Try the slam test, if it works it is usually the motor. The window control unit is in the motor.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Polo 6N2 electric window fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks I do appreciate the advice.....and I'll do the slam test for sure. But, you can't blame folk for wanting to save money though, can ya. The car is getting sold so I'm really not keen on throwing more money at it than needed.

Thanks again.

0 0 0

6. Re: Polo 6N2 electric window fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    But, you can't blame folk for wanting to save money though, can ya
    That is open to debate, it depends on why and how but it does seem to be a heading line for every post these days, sort of "my cars is broke and so am I, how do I fix it for nothing?"

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Polo 6N2 electric window fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The window motors are pants, i have a 6N polo, when i first got the car, driving down the road and twang, the cable snapped, so was not happy one little bit, so i bought a motor and cables off ebay for around £50, fixed that side, 3weeks later my drivers side went. Was the least impressed person every to be honest! But then i spent another £50 and got another one, what a easy thing to fit though? About 6 bolts to whip the old one out, new one in, 6 bolts again, sorted!! lol

Dan.

0 0 0

8. Re: Polo 6N2 electric window fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem on my x reg gti. I replaced the motor from a salvage yard but it still did it. In the end I traced it to the lug that slots into the metal window bracket. There should be a grey plastic clip that secures the metal bracket on the bottom of the window. This little plastic clip tends to snap off with age therefore the bracket is not held onto the window motor mechanism. This means that when you put the window about half way up it gets out of alignment & the pressure on the motor then makes the motor think that something is caught in the window & it stops/goes down again.

To fix it I took off the inner door trim & the foam insulation behind to expose the mechanism. Plug the window switch back in & lower the window 1/2 way down. There are access holes in the door that will align with the brackets. I then put a circlip or washer over the end of the lug to hold the metal bracket tight to the fixing on the motor mechanism. It then worked better then new.

0 0 0