1. Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have read the variouse threads about Dual Mass flywheel failures and beleive that mine needs changing.

Has anybody got any experience of Non VAG dual mass flywheels?

Who makes the OE dual mass flywheel for VAG?

Any advice very well recieved as I beleive it is about £700 from VW for the flywheel.

Just out if interest does anybody know what causes the flywheel failures is it car abuse, stop start driving in traffic or is it just luck and how well original parts are manufactured.

Thanks Ben.

0 0 0

2. Re: Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont kow much about the vag or oe,but i bought a 2.5 tdi and was told about these clutches,but was told the clutch plate is solid and the flywheel acts as the pressure plate(it moves),so when the clutch,goes then the flywheel is part of the kit.unlike more normal cars,you can get full kits from clutch repairers,these are much more cheap,and are no worse than dealer part,i was quoted between 300-400 for the full kit.hope this helps,cheers.

0 0 0

3. Re: Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Valeo and LUK make replacement dual mass flywheels and replacement conventional flywheels and clutch kits at a lower price

0 0 0

4. Re: Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The DMF will likely be LuK, who invented em, or possibly sachs who copied the design and are OE on some VAG. DMF's are very common now, 50% of new cars now have them and increasing.

Previous poster is sort of right - in many case the torsional vibration damping springs are taken out of the drive plate as the DMF does a much better job. We're now seeing springs in both now to absorb different frequency vibrations. Many white vans now have springs in both. The clutch can still be changed on its own as long as the DMF is checked for rotational and latteral wear.

Problem is with the DMF, is thats it is suseptible to damage from heat - ie slipping the clutch excessively on hills or holding the car on the biting point. Dont do it. Also driving in too high a gear for the road speed can damage it as it fully compresses the springs with extra torque in the system, and then wears the end stops.

If you buy one from an aftermarket motor factors it will be OE. No one, as yet, copies DMF's. Theyre too expensive to make that its not worth tooling up unless youre making 20 000 for VAG first. www.buypartsbuy.com have a direct supply from LuK.

The solid flywheel replacement that Valeo offer is not OE, and not advisable unless your car is a shed with short life left. Why would VAG spend probably over £100 more on a DMF if it wasnt deemed nessesary? Theyd change light buld supplier for 10p
    2019 Urus, 2020 RS7
    2014 RS6, 2018 RS5, 2016 RS3, 2019 RS3
    2011 RS5, 2008 S5 V8
    2007 A4 2.0, 2008 Passat 2.0 TDI
    2005 Bora 1.9 TDI, 2000 Bora 1.6 , 1989 Polo 1.4

0 0 0

5. Re: Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have 2001 tdi with avb engine, and recently had recon gearbox and clutch/flywheel fitted.The clutch/flywheel that came out was SACHS.The clutch/flywheel that i bought was also SACHS and wasnt too expensive from Euro car parts.HTH.

0 0 0

6. Re: Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I thought Freudenberg (CFW) brought the DMF to market first in the M64/01 911 engine in 1990. It was highly unreliable being replaced by an LUK unit in 93. As for inventing it , I think it goes a lot further back that that.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jemthetaxi View Post
    I have 2001 tdi with avb engine, and recently had recon gearbox and clutch/flywheel fitted.The clutch/flywheel that came out was SACHS.The clutch/flywheel that i bought was also SACHS and wasnt too expensive from Euro car parts.HTH.
    Aye, sachs are oe on some, luk on others. they are 'sometimes' interchangeable ive found if the flywheel and clutch are replaced at the same time - but much preferred to replace with what come out.
    2019 Urus, 2020 RS7
    2011 RS5, 2008 S5 V8

0 0 0

8. Re: Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    This may be resurrecting an old thread but Buypartsby are now doing LUK dmf and clutch for 1.9 130 Passats for £338.
    By far the cheapest I could find, Eurocar Parts wanted £436 for the same kit.
    This may be of some use to someone in the future.

1 0 0

9. Re: Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
    This may be resurrecting an old thread but Buypartsby are now doing LUK dmf and clutch for 1.9 130 Passats for £338.
    By far the cheapest I could find, Eurocar Parts wanted £436 for the same kit.
    This may be of some use to someone in the future.
    Yep..... as the former LuK sales manager who used to look after the buypartsbuy account - you wont find cheaper anywhere else! Permanent paint in the *** for the rest of the market.... I used to get constant complaints from other distributors, especially ECP.
    ECP might not necessarily be the exact same kit.... if there's a Sachs crossover as there is on many VAG models, they may supply sachs, not LuK - although I guess not in this case with the price that much higher. ECP's difficult to be sure because they use their own part numbers - exactly so they can choose supply source.
    2019 Urus, 2020 RS7
    2011 RS5, 2008 S5 V8

0 0 0

10. Re: Dual Mass Flywheel - OE or Not OE 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    I rang ECP's Cardiff branch for help in locating which one of the 2 possibilities it was. Their response was to bring the old one in LOL!
    Great, do you have both types in stock I asked, to be told that they only had the one type!
    I e-mailed them with the chassis number and in all fairness they replied within an hour but when I rang Buypartby they got the chassis number from the reg and were able to quote the correct parts over the phone.
    Good service, I will use them again.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast