Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello everyone,

Must excuse me. I'm a car novice and site newcomer.

I bought my first car, Mk 3 GL, just over a month ago. It has since been in the garage twice with a new starter coil, dizzy cap, rotor arm and crank sensor being fitted. Still it cuts out. Seems to do it when it wants. Can't see a pattern (apart from me getting angry when it does it).

I have no idea how to get the fault codes that some of you talk about and any advice I will go to the garage with (unless anyone is patient enough to talk me through the easier tasks step by step).
    They can't seem to make it break down and all their diagnostis have told them the car is fine.
    Any help/advice would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What is your engine code?

0 0 0

3. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

Not too sure. I think it might be AFT (?). If this isn't right how or where can I find it?

Cheers.

0 0 0

4. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It needs a throttle body clean and reset but this requires a system that will also read the fault codes, you need to find someone capable.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the idea.

Is this the VAG COM ive read about?
    How easy is it to use?

0 0 0

6. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Can you give us a little more detail when you say IT JUST CUTS OUT,does this happen when your are driving normally and as if you have turned the ignition off it just stops????or does it stop on idle when you come to a set of lights or something,and it cuts out then????

0 0 0

7. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Again, thanks for the reponse.

It seems to happen when I'm going along, just driving normally, when the revs will drop and the engine cuts out competely(dashboard lghts come on like I have stalled it). The radio will still works but the power steering and engine die. I then have to sit patiently for a few minutes (anything from 1 to 15mins) when it just starts again after turning the key (it ticks but doesn't fire). Has happened mainly after about 5-10 mins from setting off on a journey. Has happened several times in one short journey and once or twice on lots of other short journeys (a bit reluctant to take it on big ones until problem is solved).

It has refused to start on 3 occasions after a quick stop filling up with petrol or popping into shops. When trying to restart it ticks over but doesn't fire up.

When ithappnsit wont bump start, either with a push or while I'm going along.

It's a 1.6 GL, 1997, 95,000 on the clock. I feel tha it is slightly sluggish when accelarating but have nothing to compare it to.

Really appreciate any input as the dealer that I bought it from has said that they will only swap it for something else but I love the car, apart from the problem.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Dirty Grape; 20-03-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: adding info

0 0 0

8. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi If that is the case and you do have an AFT engine,On making up for a previous mistake this time i have done my homework,iam almost sure it is the current supply relay for Simos control unit.This relay is in position 3 on the fuse box it has either (30 109 288) on it.

0 0 0

9. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    On making up for a previous mistake this time i have done my homework

30, part number 165 906 381.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Kenney, you may have just saved my sanity.

Few q's though.
    What does the relay do?
    How much will it cost to replace or can I do it myself (looking I would assume just pull it out and plug new one in)?

I seem to be missing a couple of other relays???? Is this normal????

Thanks, once again, for yur time.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast