2. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi The relay supplys the ECU with current,the soldering on the contacts have a tendency to crack with the result sometimes you have contact and sometimes not.As you say its just a matter of pulling out the old relay and putting the new one in.The relays that are missing are for equipment your vehicle does not have.

0 0 0

3. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The relay is £11.35 from a VW dealer.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the advice everyone. I will order one and keep you updated.

0 0 0

5. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate, I'm in Australia and have the exact same problem as you. The car just shuts off/cutting out and it seems to happen when it reaches its usual running temp. and also if I just make a short stop for fuel after only a short drive (5 -10 minutes) it wont start up again for a little while and when it doesn't start most of the time I can hear that the fuel pump isn't priming . I always know its going to start if I hear the fuel pump priming when I engage the ignition. Some of the time stalling (cutting out) and starting problems also seem to coincide with me having the stereo going. (Maybe coincidence or related??)
    I have had the problem on and off for at least a year and in that time have had replaced:

- ignition coil x 2 (I think they did that twice over a period of 6-12 months)
    - ignition switch
    - brand new entire distributor including new leads and spark plugs
    - and probably more than that but at first I admit to not keeping very good track of what they replaced
    - also countless hours of labor and diagnostic costs which all came to nothing but a massive whole in my pocket.

I am dealing with an official VW service center now and they cant even get a fault to appear in their diagnostic tests because of the problem being intermittent by the time they get their lazy back-sides around to testing for faults the car is running fine again, in my opinion I have and am currently being absolutely ripped off by VW, it just cost me $1200(Australian) for the distributer, leads, plugs, labor etc. and no result!!!, then they tell me they cant find anything and then have the hide to charge me for their time, it might just be me but I thought that I was paying them to fix a problem and if the problem isn't fixed then why should I pay. "Sorry mate we did our tests but cant find anything, we don't know whats going on , so that will be $248 thanks." That is what I have to put up with from these thieves.

Anyway, I was hoping that you may have gone ahead with the advice given above and had a positive result? I would really appreciate it if you could let us know how you went? and any more advice would be more than appreciated.

Thanks, sorry for going on and on but I'm just so frustrated!!!

0 0 0

6. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi the symptoms you have, are typical for a faulty current supply relay

0 0 0

7. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    MK3GL, which engine code? AAM, ABS?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all,

I had the throttle body cleaned and reset last week (it was clogged right up) and the car was running fine until last night, when it cut out as I pulled up to a set of lights.

I have ordered the ECU relay but apparently the wrong one turned up and I will have to wait until Tues before I can get it.
    I will post again in about a week to let you know if it's worked.

To add to the problems I have noticed that the car feels like its about to stall when stationary. The revs idle at anything from 900 to 1000 but the car judders slightly, like its trying to stall. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help guys and good luck MK3GL.

0 0 0

9. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My engine code is "AGG" doesn't seem that too many people with this car have that exact engine code? BUT have the same problem.
    Is the relay you are talking about the one mentioned earlier:
    Relay 30, part number 165 906 381 ?

0 0 0

10. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The AGG engine was fitted to the Golf GTI 7/95 to 98, Passat 2 litre 7/95 to 12/96, Vento 2litre 7/95 to 12/97, and Golf 3 Cabrio 2 litre up to 2001. The ECU relay is, as you say, control group number 30 at position 3 and part number 165 906 381.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast