1. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, my son has a 1995 Mk3 Cabriolet with the 2E ADY engine since about 6 months. It's got 208k kilometres and has been well maintained.
    Last week the car stopped abruptly and he had to be towed home. Since then I (we) have been looking into what's going on with the Golf and on the net. I have restored numerous older vehicles and my son is a 3rd year mechanic apprentice so we know about cars so to speak.
    I have completely read this thread (going back 8 years!) and there is a ton of great information. Here's our story:
    The car will shut off, either while parked or on the road without notice. Figured it was an ignition problem when things just shut down.
    Today I warmed it up for 20min, shut it off and if wouldn't restart. Just turned over but no ignition, no sputtering. Waited for 5 to 10 minutes and it started again.
    Had it revved to 3000 rpms and it quit. Later when it quit again it sputtered while restarting, so I played with the throttle a bit and it fired up.
    Seems the problem might be fuel related but my gut feeling is ignition or something in that area. Cooling fan will go on and off with no effect so don't think it's related to temp.
    New parts include distr cap and rotor, sp are not old, sp and ht wires seem fine. I have a multimeter but no vagcom or obd tool (yet).
    Not sure what to start with....
    I have seen from the forum that the major culprits are numerous including:
    engine speed sensor, ECU relay, coil, fuel pump, fuel relay, temp plug, immobiliser, throttle body etc........
    Any advice as to my situation greatly appreciated.
    Cheers PS

0 0 0

2. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    You need a fault code read, if there is a code great if not then you have to decide on the most likely culprit that won't leave a code which is the ignition switch, ECU relay, coil and possibly the crank speed sensor. A faulty ignition switch will be quite random and may give you clues such as odd warning light behaviour, the ECU relay will cut, die and come back 10 minutes later leaving you non the wiser, a coil will normally die and that's it, a crank speed sensor normally plays up when wet and sometimes leaves a code, but not always; see where I am going.... come in number 30 your time is up!

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your advice crasher. I can see from lots of posts that you have tremendous experience. I replaced relay 30 and 167 but unfortunately the car is still cutting out in the same manner. Maybe I'll find an ODB scan\reader under the Christmas tree, Santa knows what I want/need!!
    Question: is there a factory immobiliser on this model? or all golf3's?
    Thanks again for your time and expertise.
    PS

0 0 0

4. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul ST View Post
    I can see from lots of posts that you have tremendous experience
    You would think after doing this for 40 years I would have had the sense to retire by now... 1995 saw the introduction of a factory fitted EU mandated immobiliser on all new cars BUT this will NOT be your problem, this only acts as a start prevention device and will not cut the engine when it is running. With the 30 relay done (the fuel pump relay rarely fails) then I would next look to a fault code read, the G28 crank speed sensor could be the cause and may or may not leave a fault code but it could also be the ignition switch and this will NOT leave a fault code. The sender in the distributor will not cause this, you can unplug this (the G40) and the engine will keep running so don't interfere with that.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    forgive my ignorance but when you say ignition switch, are you are referring to the actual physical ignition cylinder where the key goes into or are we talking about some sort of electro coupling, relay related device?

0 0 0

6. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It is a pity I did not take a picture of the one we did yesterday. Under the barrel inside the steering column lock unit there is a plastic bodied switch, to access this you have to remove the wheel and column covers and take off the lock unit after removing the spline adapter which requires a puller.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well it looks like the problem was the crank speed sensor as no problems since it has been replaced. (only 3 days but still...) According to my son it was a "pain in the ****" to get at because of the location and motor mount etc..that had to be removed first. "No pain no gain" as they say...
    Thanks again crasher for your generous help and expertise. This forum is truly a great place for information and support!
    Best

0 0 0

8. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had this problem too and it turned out to be a worn out ignition switch sometimes making and breaking contact, making starting the car like starting the plane in The Flight of the Pheonix and also cutting out on dual carriageways at speed.

This will never show up on diagnostics as it was mechanical.

0 0 0

9. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manc View Post
    like starting the plane in The Flight of the Pheonix
    Don't you think the original with Jimmy Stewart was far better than the lame remake?

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

10. Re: MK3 - Cutting Out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Don't you think the original with Jimmy Stewart was far better than the lame remake?
    Yes, an all time classic.

1 0 0

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast