1. subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi all my first time posting!!!!! have a mark 4 gt tdi since nov 98,500 miles on clock... keep hearing noise from back of engine any ideas??? have been told it migth be a gearbow bearing!!!!!

0 0 0

2. Re: subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dus it stop when you press the clutch in?

0 0 0

3. Re: subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Finngalway, as bonard has said. When you hear the noise try pressing the clutch down and see if it goes. I have a GT TDI 150 with an occasional knocking from the gearbox end, but when I depress the cluth it goes quiet. I think it may be the clutch release bearing, but its nothing that concerns me. Maybe someone else may have other ideas?
    "If I hadnt seen such riches I could live with being poor"
    Passat 2.0 Sport DSG 140. 2006

0 0 0

4. Re: subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by popin View Post
    Hi Finngalway, as bonard has said. When you hear the noise try pressing the clutch down and see if it goes. I have a GT TDI 150 with an occasional knocking from the gearbox end, but when I depress the cluth it goes quiet. I think it may be the clutch release bearing, but its nothing that concerns me. Maybe someone else may have other ideas?

sorry to say mine was the fly wheel ( I think) but but as poppin said I was not worried bout it. the only reason I replaced it was due to my Gbox which came out so I replaced the clutch, fly and bearing as it was on 150k and original and when I got it back the knock had gone..

it was also more noticable when turning the ignition off.

0 0 0

5. Re: subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by popin View Post
    That sounds more like gearbox bud, or possibly DMF. If the clutch bearings making a noise, it would last approximately 10 minutes before destroying itself
    2019 Urus, 2020 RS7
    2014 RS6, 2018 RS5, 2016 RS3, 2019 RS3
    2011 RS5, 2008 S5 V8
    2007 A4 2.0, 2008 Passat 2.0 TDI
    2005 Bora 1.9 TDI, 2000 Bora 1.6 , 1989 Polo 1.4

0 0 0

6. Re: subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauloz View Post
    That sounds more like gearbox bud, or possibly DMF. If the clutch bearings making a noise, it would last approximately 10 minutes before destroying itself
    With you pointin to the Dual Mass Flywheel is it the springs that get slack/tired inside causing the knocking sound.

0 0 0

7. Re: subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonard View Post
    With you pointin to the Dual Mass Flywheel is it the springs that get slack/tired inside causing the knocking sound.
    Almost aye - but the springs are so hard, that its more the tabs on the rotating plate they butt onto which wears, introducing free play, and the knocking. If this continues, eventually it will take the tabs out completely.... at which point you loose drive
    Ive only seen this a few times though and becoming less often as garages are finally getting their heads round DMF.

Driving in too high a gear for the road speed is the best way to accelarate wear in this way..... common with taxis!
    2019 Urus, 2020 RS7
    2014 RS6, 2018 RS5, 2016 RS3, 2019 RS3
    2011 RS5, 2008 S5 V8
    2007 A4 2.0, 2008 Passat 2.0 TDI
    2005 Bora 1.9 TDI, 2000 Bora 1.6 , 1989 Polo 1.4

0 0 0

8. Re: subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonard View Post
    dus it stop when you press the clutch in?
    yeah it does.......????

0 0 0

9. Exclamation Re: subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    eh am not too sure about that.. it happened worse when it was very cold one morning... it was a sort of thumping noise have been told to wait untill it gets louder untill i do anything about it????

0 0 0

10. Re: subtle knock from engine???? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Almost aye - but the springs are so hard, that its more the tabs on the rotating plate they butt onto which wears, introducing free play, and the knocking. If this continues, eventually it will take the tabs out completely.... at which point you loose drive
    Ive only seen this a few times though and becoming less often as garages are finally getting their heads round DMF.

Driving in too high a gear for the road speed is the best way to accelarate wear in this way..... common with taxis!
    i dunno?? it sometimes feel it loses power v slightly. it was imported from uk

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast