Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All

I have had the dreaded limp mode kick in today. Car is a 98 passat tdi 90hp with the AHU engine with Garrett wastegated turbo.
    The last few times, this has been down to a bad maf sensor. I only fitted a new VW exchange one, last month, and I don't think it's the problem this time as unplugging it does not reduce the symptoms.
    I had a look around, found there is a hose going no-where off the bottom of the boost control valve. There is one hose going to the turbo coldside, another going to the wastegate actuator, this third hose, (which points straight down out of the very bottom of the N75), has a barbed connector still fitted to the loose end of the hose, I guess it branches off another rubber hose, but which one?
    I'm not sure if this loose hose IS the problem, it looks like it may have been loose for some time?
    I know the engine relies on good information from various sensors, any one of which can trigger this limp mode. Does anyone know if any of the other sensors can be unplugged (like the MAF) to get me a temporary fix?
    I know I should get the codes read, seems like a good excuse to get kitted out with vag com!
    2001 Passat estate Sport tdi 130hp
    2001 Passat Sport tdi 130hp
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

2. Re: Tdi limp mode/N75 problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi That is a non return valve which is connected to a vacuum reservoir (AFN engine) i dont think the AHU has this reservoir.I have seen it, not in use, many times, even on the T4.Send your e-mail address and i will send a copy

0 0 0

3. Re: Tdi limp mode/N75 problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Get the codes read, if the vacuum pipes for the N75 are not connected then you will get a overboost error and limp mode.

A good indicator is if you turn the engine off the start again do you get full power back, then when you increase the load the car seems to slow down,until you restart the engine again.

This is what happen when my pipe became detached

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

0 0 0

4. Re: Tdi limp mode/N75 problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This early N75 info should be useful:

http://www.ms-motor-service.com/xima...051_en_web.pdf

0 0 0

5. Re: Tdi limp mode/N75 problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help, my N75 is the same as the one above, the line that is not connected is the one that goes into the Air pipe from air filter (2). I can look for the port it should be connected to now I know where it is!
    I get the feeling this is not going to cure my problem but we'll see. I plan to get myself a Vag com set up, but in the meantime, if any body can offer any knowledge on how to test or eliminate the various temperature and pressure sensors, I'd be very grateful.
    Onzarob, as it's not the boost or wastegate pipe that is disconnected, (I guess it is just a breather line?) I'm not getting overboost, it is just very flat even when first started.
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

6. Re: Tdi limp mode/N75 problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, line to atmospheric pressure.

You have unmetered air entering the system (after the MAF) this could be reducing your fueling causing 'limp mode'/underboost?

0 0 0

7. Re: Tdi limp mode/N75 problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ini View Post
    Yep, line to atmospheric pressure.

You have unmetered air entering the system (after the MAF) this could be reducing your fueling causing 'limp mode'/underboost?
    Ahh, didn't think of that - hope you're right, will post findings tomorrow...
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

8. Re: Tdi limp mode/N75 problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just had enough time to reconnect the N75 vent line, it has not really made any difference. I ordered a vag com cable today, hopefully it will work with the laptop I need to scrounge!
    In the meantime does anyone know any resistance values for components I could test with a multimeter? eg, the N75 is a solenoid valve right? The coil I guess would be no more than a few hundred ohms. and which switches are normally open/normally closed?
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

9. Re: Tdi limp mode/N75 problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Scotty - I made a fortunate discovery in resolving this problem on my A3 (same engine). My friend calls it an Italian tune up...
    I drove up to Scotland from South Wales over night, made sure that I didn't over rev in any of the gears (which is usually when the problem kicks in) and maintained a constant 60 - 80 MPH in 5th gear for the entire trip minus a few coffee stops.
    The performance of the car has been vastly improved since then. I'm guessing the long drive gave the engine a chance to clean itself out. The problems only started after I let my old man use my car while I was working away and he never really gives it any welly so all kinds of deposits build up.
    Hope this helps....

0 0 0

10. Re: Tdi limp mode/N75 problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Schmal thanks for the tip, but my car is in the more severe form of limp mode. 60 might be possible given enough time, but 80 is out of the question at the moment! must be a different problem?
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast